SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-24-13, 10:06 PM   #1
Gryffon300
Engineer

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Over-riding Screen resolution?

Now, you're going to have a chuckle at my expense, and that's OK, but can some IT guru give me some help? (There's no [grovel] smilie, or I'd use it now.)
OK, here is my problem. I've effectively locked myself out of SH4 as follows. I use a laptop with a screen res of 1366x768 (16:9). BUT, I have been playing on an external monitor with a screen res of 1680x1050 (16:10). This is the in-game graphics option setting that I have selected. No problems, UNTIL the monitor was taken to another location.

Now, trying to open and play on the laptop, the screen only displays the top left-hand 80% or so of the game. Now, that's ALMOST manageable, because I can go to the Options - Graphics Settings and re-set the Screen Resolution and Refresh Rate BUT, and here's the rub, I can not 'Apply' the setting, because the button is off the screen at the bottom right, and can't be accessed.

So, is there a way to go into the game folder and manually re-set the screen res?

Thanks

Gryff
Gryffon300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-13, 06:49 AM   #2
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffon300 View Post
Now, you're going to have a chuckle at my expense, and that's OK, but can some IT guru give me some help? (There's no [grovel] smilie, or I'd use it now.)
OK, here is my problem. I've effectively locked myself out of SH4 as follows. I use a laptop with a screen res of 1366x768 (16:9). BUT, I have been playing on an external monitor with a screen res of 1680x1050 (16:10). This is the in-game graphics option setting that I have selected. No problems, UNTIL the monitor was taken to another location.

Now, trying to open and play on the laptop, the screen only displays the top left-hand 80% or so of the game. Now, that's ALMOST manageable, because I can go to the Options - Graphics Settings and re-set the Screen Resolution and Refresh Rate BUT, and here's the rub, I can not 'Apply' the setting, because the button is off the screen at the bottom right, and can't be accessed.

So, is there a way to go into the game folder and manually re-set the screen res?

Thanks

Gryff
There is probably an easy way. What I would do I'd take my laptop somewhere there is a monitor, hook it up and change the resolution. I would then thank the monitor owner and buy him (or if you are lucky her) a beer.
Old 07-25-13, 07:58 AM   #3
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

On an XP Operating System follow the path "My Documents/SH4/data/cfg" folders to find the "main.cfg" file.

On a Vista OS (and anything newer) the path will be a little different. Open "YourComputersName/Documents/SH4/data/cfg". Opening the file "main.cfg" with Windows Notepad will allow you to change the resolution that the game uses.

Look for the [VIDEO] section, then "Resolution=". On my system, the default resolution is given as "Resolution=1024,768,60,22". The third value is the Refresh Rate, the 4th is the Color Depth. I don't know why its set to 22 and not 32, just leave it alone. "Save" your changes, and exit the file.

I found this option useful when I was messing around with a game resolution that my 32" TV couldn't recognize or render, yet the resolution was "offered" in the "Graphic Settings" of the game. I chose the resolution then exited to Windows, restarting with the new resolution. Upon restarting the screen went black. I had to either use "Task Manager" to get out of the game, or shut the computer down with a restart. Resetting the resolution of the game to the default 1024,768 parameter in the "main.cfg" file allowed the game to be displayed once again!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-13, 12:39 PM   #4
Gryffon300
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
There is probably an easy way. What I would do I'd take my laptop somewhere there is a monitor, hook it up and change the resolution. I would then thank the monitor owner and buy him (or if you are lucky her) a beer.
You are probably right, but, being Friendless and Marooned alone here over in the Deep West, my selection of co-conspirators is somewhat limited. I'll find some obliging cove, no doubt. The 6-pack of 'Beez Neez' that I will have under my arm I'm sure will smooth the way..

Cheers

Gryff
Old 07-25-13, 12:46 PM   #5
Gryffon300
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
On a Vista OS (and anything newer) the path will be a little different. Open "YourComputersName/Documents/SH4/data/cfg". Opening the file "main.cfg" with Windows Notepad will allow you to change the resolution that the game uses.

Look for the [VIDEO] section, then "Resolution=". On my system, the default resolution is given as "Resolution=1024,768,60,22". The third value is the Refresh Rate, the 4th is the Color Depth. I don't know why its set to 22 and not 32, just leave it alone. "Save" your changes, and exit the file.
Ah Captain, my Captain! You have saved the day! Although a perfectly acceptable suggestion was made by an Irish laddie, the weather is turning foul here and I didn't favour venturing forth.

Accordingly, your solution involving staying warm and playing at being a Sparky suits me passing well! I'll raise a tot of porter to you in thanks from a grateful supplicant.

Gryff

PS yep, that's it. Simple when you know what you are doing. Thanks again.

Last edited by Gryffon300; 07-25-13 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 07:27 PM   #6
Pacificmaelstrom
Swabbie

Downloads: 32

I had the exact same problem and this was just what I needed!
FIRE FOUR...
FIRE FIVE...
FIRE SIX...

... Sunk. Sunk. Sunk. Sunk. Sunk. Sunk.
Pacificmaelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote