SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-10, 11:56 PM   #1
nodlew
Engineer

Downloads: 572
Uploads: 0
Default Help editing cameras.dat

Hey folks. I'm just beginning to mod the game. So far my efforts have been restricted to taking bits and pieces that I like from mods that I am not using and making little tweak mods to add those elements to the mods that I am using that have other elements I don't like as much. I like the 360 deg plotter and compass from TMO, for example, and made a mod to add those to Operation Monsun, which I am currently playing.
That was very simple to do. The thing I am working on right now is proving to be trickier.
I have tried out the Real Deck Gun mod, and like it very much. It seems much more realistic. I like the gun rolling with the deck, even in a gentle swell, requiring some timing to put shots on target, and I like the fact that the red cross hair is no longer really an aiming device--doesn't elevate the gun, forcing me to use the telescopic sights at any range but point-blank.
The problem is that when this mod is enabled, my free-camera is reverted to stock--which I hate. You cannot move around the boat except in the Command room. At the PPI radar station, I can't even look up high enough to read the target bearing dial.
So what I would like to do is edit one of the Free Camera mods--like the cameras.dat from TMO to also have the same Deck Gun behavior as the Real Deck Gun mod.
Toward this end I have downloaded a bunch of Utilities: SH3 Mini Tweaker, SH3 Editor, a Hex Editor program (which provokes nothing but a befuddled Huh?), and finally a series of Pack3D executable jar files--which I can use to view the dat files, but can't seem to edit them.
I had high hopes for SH3 Mini Tweaker, but I can't seem to find a Tweak file for Cameras.dat, and renaming Cameras.dat to a txt file only gives an error message...something about proper brackets not being found.
Can someone please give me a pointer or two on how to use any one of these programs to fix my cameras.dat file?
nodlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 12:06 AM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

ok all you need is the s3ditor tool

the mini tweaker is old and outdated and no longer needed

hex editors arent needed often so in most cases you dont need them either

the s3ditor website has video tutorials to explain how to use it and after that we can answer your questions on it but its easy once you start using it but untill you do it can be confusing just to read the instructions.

different files have different tips and technics to them and this too you will learn the patterns to kinda understand where to find stuff in all of them but some like the cameas.dat and particles.dat has so much in it you will need time and help to find everything you want
Old 02-12-10, 12:47 AM   #3
nodlew
Engineer

Downloads: 572

Thanks Webster.
nodlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-20, 09:55 AM   #4
Subsimfans
Nub

Downloads: 11

Hello. I am new to Subsim

I have played Silent hunter 4 before but recently just picked it up again as i readly like the game (although it is an old game )

and one thing i would like for my sub is to walk around the bridge when the sub is surfaced! I see there a lot of mod is doing this like TMO but it is a quite large mod.

Is there any simple mod, i.e., just some changes to a single file like cameas.dat?

In addition, I have got s3ditor installed as well as jsgme. If possible, for those genius mod marker, can you tell me what are the changes you guys made in cameas.dat? as i would like to replicate myself .

Thank you all

Last edited by Subsimfans; 09-21-20 at 11:39 AM.
Subsimfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-20, 10:28 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Subsimfans!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-20, 02:26 PM   #6
Subsimfans
Nub

Downloads: 11

Thank you Aktungbby
Subsimfans is offline   Reply With Quote