Old 06-05-20, 10:45 AM   #211
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
This is the problem:

And this isn't a singular case, the police seem to be aiming their less-lethal rounds to the head area all too often.

Another example, here a 16yo is shot in the head with a less-lethal round, he wasn't being violent.
You should check in more often Dowly ... How's it going over in Finland?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 11:20 AM   #212
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

"This is the problem" 1st, glad to see you back. But I dont get the picture. Is it trying to get across how cops shot a guy in the head with a 40mm BIP? Then from a distance removed him from his wheel chair and took his pants down to his knee caps using telekinesis? Or was the guy in the wheelchair the victim of a crime committed by rioters and looters?

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 11:59 AM   #213
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Geez, I wasn't away that long.

I couldn't tell you how his pants got to where they are, he is a homeless man from what I've seen written.
You can see the wound in the following photo better:
https://www.dailynews.com/wp-content...03-31-SR-1.jpg

EDIT: Oh, and yes, he was apparently shot at by the cops.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 12:30 PM   #214
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Wtf and why did they do that? There is blood coming out of his ear, he surely has suffered a basal skull fracture. I hope he survives.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 12:48 PM   #215
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Wtf and why did they do that? There is blood coming out of his ear, he surely has suffered a basal skull fracture. I hope he survives.
I've twice been in riots in the past and I can honestly say I never targeted one single individual who wasn't posing a threat to myself, a colleague, any individual or piece of property.

It shouldn't be hard to identify those responsible but there has to be a will there by the authorities

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 02:29 PM   #216
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

(I haven't tried Edge yet)

The is a saying

the straw that broke the camel's back.

To use this as some kind of metaphor

The Camel is USA the straw who are loaded on this camel is all the problems which have been luring in the society for years.

The killing of George Floyd was the straw that...

I interpret this demonstration and riot as a common denominator of all the problems the American citizen is struggling with

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 03:04 PM   #217
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

White House fortifies its perimeter as if it were the Alamo, extending the barriers and fences outward further at least twice. A "president" connecting to his people... And free of any instincts cautioning him, Trump in words again today has spilled oil into the fire. This man's head is so deeply stuck in its mad mind, it will never find back into the normal world again.

Run, rabbit, run,
dig that hole, forget the sun,
and when at least the work is done,
don't sit down, its time to dig another one.
For long you live, and high you fly,
but only if you ride the tide,
and balanced on the biggest wave
you race towards an early grave.
Old 06-05-20, 06:08 PM   #218
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:

This is disgraceful. This older gentleman was hardly a threat to these officers. The 2 police officers identified in the video have been suspended. 57 members of the emergency response team resigned in support of these 2 officers. This video took place in Buffalo, New York.

The elderly man in the video is in the hospital in serious condition but he is alive. Hopefully with good hospital care, he will be alright.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 07:39 PM   #219
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

There are immense differences in training quality between US and European polices. The focus also is different, and most likely far more complex and complete in Europe.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-tr...95546384791691

That article describes an incident from 2015, mentioning that the involved officers got training for just 9 or 11 weeks!

In Germany, it depends whether you become a police officer bei "Ausbildung" or "Studium". It lasts 2.5 and 3 years.

One can expect that in Europe the focus is far more inclusive of soft skills and psychological conflict (and stress) management.

Jim can tell how training is in the UK, I found no real helpful numbers on total training times. Just several courses listed that lasted from several weeks to up to one year, with most or all of them needing to be taken and passed.

It also gets said over here time and again that by comparison a tremendously higher ammount of ex-soldiers join the police in the US. I strongly suspect the military, combat-focussed attitude taught in the military, gets carried over then, including that strongly competitive team spriit of "us against them". Just that warriors should be left in the army, not being put into the civil police force that makes the cops you see on the streets. SWAT and special teams , counter terror and such, okay. But the ordinary police cop? "Soft" may have a foul taste for some, but "soft skills", communication, stress management, psychological handling of people and situation, is important for police work. After all, the streets are not Normandy beach.

That those 57 others quit the emergency support team in solidarity with those two colleagues, by all what is known I conclude shows a troubling mindset and a wrong attitude. They should be removed from police service if supporting the two is their consequence of this action. By all what is known so far.

Warriors into the army, but not into the police. Solidarity and loyalty can be misled. And as my grandfather used to say: there can be no such thing as a "corrupt cop". There only are cops, and corrupt people. Corrupt people are no cops, even if they wear a uniform or have a badge.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-05-20 at 07:52 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 04:29 AM   #220
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
This is disgraceful. This older gentleman was hardly a threat to these officers. The 2 police officers identified in the video have been suspended. 57 members of the emergency response team resigned in support of these 2 officers. This video took place in Buffalo, New York.

The elderly man in the video is in the hospital in serious condition but he is alive. Hopefully with good hospital care, he will be alright.
Yep, the public deserve better but there is more to this story apparently.

Quote:
According to the Buffalo News, the members have stepped down from the Emergency Response Team, but not the police department itself.

John Evans, president of the local police union, told the newspaper: "Our position is these officers were simply following orders from Deputy Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia to clear the square.

"It doesn't specify clear the square of men, 50 and under or 15 to 40. They were simply doing their job. I don't know how much contact was made. He did slip in my estimation. He fell backwards."

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Friday the two officers should be fired, and called for the incident to be investigated for "possible criminal charges". https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52945190

Old 06-06-20, 04:38 AM   #221
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Thanks Commander Wallace, as said i hope he makes it.
Quote:
" I don't know how much contact was made. He did slip in my estimation. He fell backwards."
Good that there is the video

Reminds me of the justice-in-America joke where they find that black man, multiple shot wounds, some knife stabs, a hangman's knot around the neck, handcuffed, with a concrete block around his feet, found dead down in a well in Alabama. And the sheriff saying "Never saw such an obvious case of suicide."

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 05:14 AM   #222
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Yes, there will be those in establishment who will try to cover their own backs and aid in poring water on the fire but I'm betting they are in the minority.

Old 06-06-20, 08:01 AM   #223
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Thanks Commander Wallace, as said i hope he makes it.

Good that there is the video

"
You are more than welcome, Kai. I know you, Jim and many others, were concerned of this older gentleman's health. We will of course let all of you know if we hear more on the story. Please do the same.

@ Skybird: Excellent dissertation on the merits of using former military members as police officers and why that is not a good idea. @ U-Crank ( Marcel ) also hit the nail on the head so to speak with regards to the power and influence of the police unions and the role they play in the protection of rogue officers.

Although it's a truly ugly story we are seeing unfold, It's great to see the intelligent and informed comments and opinions that are being expressed here by our Subsim members, worldwide. Awesome work, everyone.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 08:33 AM   #224
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
American English uses the term and the word fight for everything. Fight cancer, fight poverty, etc., never help cure or help eliminate.

We are a violent and fearful culture.
Old 06-06-20, 08:51 AM   #225
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
We are a violent and fearful culture.
Which has also been taught to venerate its military and after 911 its police, everyone wants to be a soldier.

Maybe we've become a warrior nation.

Now we have Generals publicly criticizing the civilian Commander in Chief. That IMO is the most scariest part of all of this. A soft military coup.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-06-20 at 09:38 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
police, riots