SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-19-14, 07:12 AM   #1
Mister Six
Swabbie

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
Default Hyrophone Help

Hello there fellow submariners, hoping one of you modding wizards can help me with a small problem I seem to be having with the hydrophone operation

namely this entry found in the 'Multiple UI's for SH5' by TheDarkWraith

v7.0.- added a new icon to the hydro box at the hydro station - Hydro follow target. It is located in the top left hand corner of the box.

how do I activate this option/icon ?

I can select the hydrophone, spin the dial to my selected target, but when I click the Hydro follow target icon (the one on the hydro, not the crew command) it doesnt do anything. The only options that seem to work are the crew commands to 'Follow nearest sound contact' or 'follow nearest warship contact' and even these don't work quite like how I imagine they would, reporting 'no contact found' when I know I'm only 2000m from a troop transport

What is happening is that I have 3 german ships behind me and 2 polish ships ahead, the sonar guy will not lock onto the polish ships, selecting nearest target or nearest warship always locks onto the german cruiser heading in the opposite direction, and, like I have mentioned the 'Hydro follow target' on the hydro itself does not respond. I just cannot get the guy to lock onto enemy ships, meaning I must have visual contact to get any sort of range reading, impossible in bad weather or 30 metres down

I'm assuming one of the mods or setting I have installed has disabled it, but the Follow Target seems to work perfectly with the historical tutorial mission (TDW torpedo training) so I'm a little lost.

some part of OH perhaps ?

Playing with real nav and no map updates, mod list as follows, and using sober's latest TDW Generic Patcher snapshot.

EDIT <mod list removed, not the problem>

cheers

Six

Last edited by Mister Six; 07-26-14 at 09:20 AM.
Mister Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 05:30 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Have you enabled the 'Hydrophone Patches' in TDW's GFP?
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-14, 08:52 PM   #3
Mister Six
Swabbie

Well I'm using sobers snapshot, and looking through the patching options, they all appear to be activated.

Like I mentioned, it works just fine in the the TDW Torp tutorial Historical Mission.

But as soon as I start my career, the button doesn't respond, cant even lock onto friendly ships outside of port

slightly baffled by this one

Six
Old 07-20-14, 06:33 PM   #4
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I could never figure which mod/mods are disabling it .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 06:46 PM   #5
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324

Fustrating point for me as well .. why in campaigns only is the hydro so ineffective for range .. can do it in same missions as mentioned above , but get the same results

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 03:09 PM   #6
Mister Six
Swabbie

I've figured it out finally !

it appears to be a bug, maybe something to do with the way target bearing is calculated relative to the submarine bearing

because it works like a dream if your sub is on a heading of 000

looks like we wait for a fix from thedarkwraith.

in the meantime I have just to make sure I turn to north when I dive so I can lock onto and then track any target I choose

EDIT : Some more testing.....hopefully this will help in determining a fix

If I'm at the hyrdrophone and manually spin the dial, it picks up a warship at bearing 320, I can hear the noise and the Hydrophone info box says 'Warship', but the sonar guy will not follow the selected target, this we know.

here comes the tricky part, and the odd thing is this doesn't work 100% of the time

my boat is @ bearing 225, so he's 40 degrees to my left, at bearing 185.

If I then spin the hydrophone needle to 185, I can hear an engine noise, but no contact name is shown in hydrophone box.

If I then click 'Follow selected target', the sonar guys confirms, and the needle spins back to 320, identifies as warship and follows the target.

So it will identify the target at relative bearing, but to lock and follow you have to spin the dial to the targets true bearing.

lets hope this is a simple fix that can be done with a config file or similar

Six

Last edited by Mister Six; 07-26-14 at 09:19 AM.