SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-07-05, 09:13 PM   #121
snowsub
中国水兵

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Cool, we're all on the same probs, now we just have to fix them lol.

I'm doing it how you are AG, one piece at a time, but the loading times for SH3 are the time killer .

Pretty sure my Pack3D is the latest.

iambecomelife: I chose the Bluestar ships basically cuase they had stats/pics and for the sister ships there are 10 ships (looks like only the type of cranes were different and small changes to superstructure). Actually found them on a site that has merchant casualties for ww2 - dates, tonnages and how damaged - I saved the website but I'd have to be at home to link it .

Can you do the same pick and drag with maya? and can you numerically imput adjust the faces etc? that's what I miss with Wings, unless I'm not doing it right

I'll be doing more and when i get the model look down pat I'll post some WIP shots.

Good luck all

Edit: Found the site lol
http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.u...avy_losses.htm
Old 11-07-05, 09:20 PM   #122
AG124
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

Is the site uboat.net?

http://uboat.net/
AG124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-05, 06:39 AM   #123
AG124
Sea Lord

Never mind - guess it wasn't uboat.net.
Old 11-08-05, 01:16 PM   #124
coronas
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39

Fantastic work! Another target!!
coronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-05, 01:24 PM   #125
Type941
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 2

Sink the Bismarck SH3 Movie
Type941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-05, 01:33 PM   #126
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Hi mates,

It's my first post in this thread I guess. Thanks for all you guys who are working on new units. I have a modest request to you. I want to make some new Operations (or perhaps only correct/finish the SCR of Ops mod) and some new and few units are necessary: Italian and Russian Battleships/Heavy cruiser. They can be only a adaptation of the German/US/British units that already are in the game. Is't possible? :hmm:

Rubini.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-05, 04:07 PM   #127
AG124
Sea Lord

Is that the Essex class? If it is, then you need to edit the funnel - other than that it is looking good.

The USS Wasp should be an easy ship to make too, since the funnel is smaller.

Rubini, I suppose someone could start working on some Italian and Russian ships, but they would be harder to make from in-game ships. French and Japanese ships would be harder too. And there are still texturing issues with most ships.

There was an Italian team who had a lot of Italian warships built from scratch. Here is a post they provided on another board.

Quote:
Hello,

I am part of the italian mod team for SH2-DC along with Canarb (I think he presented himself in another post). We would like to start working also on SH3. here is a small list of the models which have been done so far (some need re-texturing):

* BB Cavour
* BB Duilio
* CA Zara
* CA Fiume
* CA Gorizia
* CA Pola
* CVE Miraglia
* TB Curtatone
* PT MS S2
* SS Calvi
* SS Cagni
* SS Perla
* SS Acciaio
* SS Ascianghi
* SS Sirena
* SC CantZ506
* SC Ro43
* TB SM79
* TG Tug
* CA Bolzano
* Penguin raider ship
* SS S-Class
* TG Fishboat
* BB Littorio
* MC 202 aircraft
* Re 2000 aircraft
* CO Gabbiano
* SS U-Class
* TB Orsa
* SS Scire'
* BB Graf Spee
* SS Tritone
* DD Navigatori
* SS Type XXIII
* SS Marconi
* SS Marcello
* SS Brin

Other models are currently under work. Obviously our problem is that we don't know yet how to put them in sh3.
Now we can put new models in the game, but I have heard nothing from them. When it comes to completely new ships, no one is saying much about anything.

(Also, I would classify the Graf Spee as a cruiser, rather than a battleship. )
Old 11-08-05, 06:34 PM   #128
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Outstanding work, Cdr Gibs! That's going to be a must-have for any Pacific mod. It was an excellent decision to concentrate on heavy American units, since we already have/are developing the major British ships that were active in the Pacific (KGV class, Renown/Repulse, Fiji, etc). Now for a Japanese battleship... :hmm:

I hope you manage to adapt that Japanese destroyer in your sig for SH3. I've got an "Atlanta" class cruiser in the works; you may remember some screenshots of the very-cude prerelease version. It can be vastly improved with Pack3d, so I may restart it when I solve my current texturing problems. I've also been thinking a Japanese heavy cruiser could be possible using the Hipper's 8-inch mounts. The turrets' shape is wrong, but at least they're twin mountings and the right caliber.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-05, 08:50 PM   #129
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

OK. I have a very strong suspicion that one of the early versions of Pack3d was actually better at texturing multiple skin vessels than the current one. This may account for my early, successful NKGN - based ships. Maybe there's nothing special about that model; it just happened to be the ship I was working on when I had the earlier version. I'm going to look for one of my old pack3d files and try another importation. Maybe we should tell Sansal about this if I'm right - I'd definitely like to have a new version of Pack3d that can handle both nodes and textures.
Old 11-08-05, 09:03 PM   #130
AG124
Sea Lord

That's probably why my version is working alright - I have never kept upgrading. Still some problems though - look at the forward deck of the Pyro. Maybe Sansal can fix them completely. :hmm:
Old 11-08-05, 09:08 PM   #131
snowsub
中国水兵

ditto the above to the max

It's desturbing, I do a minor stretch to the main obj (hull) and textures go out but re-import the orig and fine, and the texture problem doesn't happen with the smaller item (that i can gather at the moment).

So i'll get the cranes etc in and see if the texture problems been fixed by updated Pack3D.

iambecomelife: Could you do the export with the new and import with the old??
An idea anyhow
Old 11-08-05, 11:01 PM   #132
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Some good news, finally. I edited a C-2 just now and imported it. Sure enough, the deck was all over the hull. In a very bad mood, I decided to try editing the hull one surface at a time. I assigned the cfg#_NKLS texture to a single randomly selected panel of hull-which was at the time displaying NKLSD.tga - and imported it. To my amazement, Pack3d/Wings3d did not mess up the other textures; the importation went FINE. I went into museum and the hull was where it was supposed to be; even the deck skin was in place. The only problem was the one small panel of hull with the deck on it. What I'll do is try "sacrificing" a panel that is inside the hull, invisible to the viewer. That way the entire hull will look OK. We should tell Sansal about this and see if he can make an official fix in the next pack3d. BTW, this occurred while using an old version of his program, but I suspect that my interim fix might work on the latest one.
Old 11-08-05, 11:37 PM   #133
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdr Gibs
I'm using Sansal's latest creation with 3D Max7 and I have no issues.
Have you done any multiple skin vessels? I also had less trouble with warships, which were largely one-skin.
Old 11-09-05, 12:24 AM   #134
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdr Gibs
Ok just so we are on the same playing field, are you refering to the actual TGA files required to skin "a" ship or, are you refering to a ship that has multiple TGA's to make several "versions" of said same ship ?

Because I have had issues for both types, but fixed it.
That would be a ship with multiple skins. I've noticed that they don't really have tga files for the hull in the dat - just a designated zone where the external tga's in data\sea are applied. How'd you resolve your issues with this type of ship? My current workaround might not be enough to solve all the skinning problems permanently, so I'd definitely like to hear of any other methods.
Old 11-09-05, 03:01 AM   #135
snowsub
中国水兵

Grrr, I'm thinking it must be my version of Wings3D, cause I just tried importing obj of the stock hull and exporting with no changes and the textures are up the duff, so i'll try to get another version of wings and see how it goes