SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-20, 02:33 PM   #3046
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

California is sitting pretty when it comes to avocados: projections for the 2020 season show an increase of 70% in the state's crop...

<O>
Old 04-20-20, 03:42 PM   #3047
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Doesn't look like Disneyland or Disneyworld is going to open anytime soon.
May 1st is only ten days from now, but Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse wearing mask would look good for Disney's image, uh?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...employees.aspx

Quote:
Entertainment giant Walt Disney (NYSEIS) is now suspending salary payments to over 100,000 employees, mostly cast members in its theme parks. The company employs 70,000 people in its Orlando location alone.

Disney ordered the shutdown of all its parks on March 14 due to the COVID-19 health scare. The company has been paying its non-working employees over the last five weeks, but the company announced on April 2 that the salary payments would soon end.

"The COVID-19 pandemic is having a devastating impact on our world with untold suffering and loss, and has required all of us to make sacrifices," the company said in a public statement
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 03:42 PM   #3048
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

It's 420, Avacados are tomorrow.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 05:23 PM   #3049
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
One needs to assume that over Easter, people met more with families and friends. However, there is a roughly 14-day delay in actual events in reality, and repported case numbers and R0 value klater on. I fear, as partly is the case in Germany, that the falling numbers and R0 value lead to growing frustration and dissatisfaction with the suporessive situation, and demands for easing things too much. Thats is indeed a big issue here in germany, with its 16 federla states - each of them handles things differently. Some are imo irresponisbly far reaching in their easing of lockdown conditons, others stay where they are.

In my hometown, shops up to 800 m2 can open now, mjst foloow restrictions, however, and from Monday on masks are amndatory in all shops and busses and trains. However,even the most unsuitibale thin layer of any cloth already qualifies as a "mask", where as we now know quite well that the infection cna be carried over thorugh the air and by simple breath and speaking already: such mask ionly break the air stream a little bit so that aerosol do not epxlode woith so hgh speed in their start9ing phase - but they stay in the air and slowly mix with all surroundign air.

We have brought R0 value down, but thne came Easter, and more visits at home and form firends may have taken place. Whioch could mean that in a few days we say case numbers growng again, and R0 growing again.

And then we need to go into a second full lock down, whci then will be more ruinous than the first one.

In other words, w ehave had the hammer, now we do the dance. But we dance on tiptoes, near two abysses on both sides of the thin blade we do dance on.The race has jjust begaun, and we ar ejust out of the starting blocks. Now comes months and months of the enduranbce race.

And everybody over here already discusses exit strategies again and when to ease lockdown and how to open all shopping malls and schools and kindergardens: in one, two or three weeks.

We have done well untl here, but in recent days, the public debate has turned crazy. I see a very realistic chance that we will get hit by easing too much too early, and get hit soon.

In one week or so we should see any Easter effects in the statistics, If there are any, they can only mean that counts and R0 have gone upwards again.
Oh look, just while I wrote that ^, I now read that the RKI reported on Monday a climb in new infection numbers, and R0 havign climbed from 0.8 on Saturday and 0.7 earlier last week, to now 0.9. I noticed already on Good Friday that people had become careless just because it was brilliant weather, and that is ten and eleven days ago, so within the time windows you would expect for any effects to materialise.

R0 must be below 1.0 to prevent case numbers overloading the hospitals. To realistically dry out the pandemic and defeat it without vaccine and mdeications, it woul need to be below 0.3-0.4, I read somewhere. That is not the German plan. But R0 needs to be around 0.7-0.8 over here.

Already one week ago, The Berlin Charitée's professor Drosten as well as the Helmholtz Society warned of a second wave being provoked by politrical measures aiming at easing the lockdown too early. In the shadow of the time when peopel think it all was a success and infectiodsn are down, the virus could spread unrecognised and infiltrate all society equally, escaping from its former sociological hotspot areas and groups. when then it manifestates again with symptoms, all of a sudden you get cases reoorted form EVERYWHERE and from EVERYBODY, this was how the second wave of the Spanish flu became so very devastating.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-20-20 at 05:33 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 05:40 PM   #3050
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Moved to political section

Will someone please tell me which side is for keeping the lockdown and which side is for lifting the lockdown.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 06:43 PM   #3051
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post

Will someone please tell me which side is for keeping the lockdown and which side is for lifting the lockdown.

The decision should not be a politically divisive us'in agin them'ins kind of decision. Please please please dont fall for it.

I think the decision should be considered state by state. Looking at the below link may give some insight into who would be able to start opening back up and who should remain on lockdown. Keep in mind that link only scratches the surface of information available.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 07:11 PM   #3052
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:

Trumpman is against it, and calls for rioting in several Democrats' states to overthrow it.

Governors seem to be more reality-oriented, it seems, no matter their party. Many of them seem to do a much better job than Trumpman ever will in trying to navigate through this crisis.

For Trumpman it seems the whole desaster that has struck the world is just an obstacle to his reelection train that until here was on autopilot to victory, and now is no longer. His desastrous Covid19 management and his as desastrous communication style kill his chances. Suddenly, even a Biden can defeat him.
Old 04-20-20, 09:34 PM   #3053
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Trumpman is against it, and calls for rioting in several Democrats' states to overthrow it.

This is a pure lie on your part. At no point has the President called for rioting and you know it.

Quote:
Governors seem to be more reality-oriented, it seems, no matter their party. Many of them seem to do a much better job than Trumpman ever will in trying to navigate through this crisis.

Yeah right, sending boatloads of unmasked cops after a lone surfer and banning the sale of garden seeds are so much more reality oriented. Are you sure the reality that you are referring to is not the fantasy world you live in?

Quote:
For Trumpman it seems the whole desaster that has struck the world is just an obstacle to his reelection train that until here was on autopilot to victory, and now is no longer. His desastrous Covid19 management and his as desastrous communication style kill his chances. Suddenly, even a Biden can defeat him.

More fantasy from your own private Idaho. It's both funny and a bit sad at the same time.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 05:20 AM   #3054
Skybird
Soaring

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-5...ored-nhs-staff

Staff in any nation's health care system currently work above and beyond its usual capacity. Its just a question of time until they burn through. Humans can go like this for so and so long, and not longer.
Old 04-21-20, 05:23 AM   #3055
Skybird
Soaring

Of course, and inevitably: the world's biggest beer filling station, the Münchner Oktoberfest, will remain shut this year.
Old 04-21-20, 06:18 AM   #3056
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Deaths in England and Wales are at a 20-year high.

UK government advisers meet to discuss whether the public should be told to wear face masks.

Virgin Australia, which Sir Richard Branson's group part-owns, enters administration.

Sir Richard is also seeking loans for Virgin Atlantic and has offered an island as collateral.

Cases continue to grow exponentially in Singapore, mostly among the migrant worker community.

Donald Trump says he will suspend immigration to the US to fight virus and protect jobs.

The US president gave no further details on the plan, which is expected to draw legal challenges.

Israel has been marking Holocaust Remembrance Day in the shadow of the coronavirus pandemic.

On Monday, for the first time ever, futures for West Texas Intermediate (WTI) - the benchmark for US oil - fell into negative territory.

And today, the price of Brent Crude - the benchmark used by Europe and the rest of the world - slipped below $20 for the first time in 18 years.

An employee of the World Health Organisation has died and a government official injured in Myanmar's Rakhine state after their car was hit by gunfire, authorities have confirmed.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 06:26 AM   #3057
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The latest from Europe

More than three in 10 deaths in England and Wales are linked to coronavirus, figures show.
The Office for National Statistics said in the week ending 10 April, the virus was mentioned on 6,213 death certificates.
It pushed the total number of deaths in that week to over 18,000 - the highest weekly total since the start of 2000.

Under its tight restrictions, children in Spain are not allowed outside for any reason. The government is expected to announce how to let children out next week, with reports suggesting children up to the age of 12 being allowed to leave their homes.

Germany’s football league, the Bundesliga, could restart as early as 9 May. State leaders and football officials have suggested matches could go on behind closed doors under strict new hygiene measures. “A weekend with football is much more bearable than a weekend without football," Bavaria’s Premier Markus Söder said.

But Bavaria has also announced some less positive news: Oktoberfest, the famous German beer drinking festival, will not take place in the state this year. Usually about six million people travel to Munich for the annual event.

A group of about 50 people have gone on hunger strike in Bosnia. They have been placed in quarantine for more than two weeks in a student dormitory in the capital Sarajevo, to stop the spread of the virus. But many say they have not been given their test results, or even tested at all.

Old 04-21-20, 06:32 AM   #3058
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-21-20, 07:04 AM   #3059
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
California is sitting pretty when it comes to avocados: projections for the 2020 season show an increase of 70% in the state's crop...

<O>

Growing up in Southern California, we got SICK of avocados. To make things worse in the 1970's, it was popular to have house appliances in avocado color. I guess it went well with the orange shag carpeting.
Old 04-21-20, 07:07 AM   #3060
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

It is probably not as easy as one side against the other

There are valid arguments for keeping and closing the lockdown.

I don't believe there is, nor should there be, one national answer.

This is one of the reasons why I believe that the decision still needs to be made by the individual state governors with recommendations from national labs.

I don't think, for example, that Wyoming and California should necessarily have to operate the same.

One of the issues will be interstate travel.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan