SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-30-17, 01:28 PM   #436
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Don't worry, parameters are still as simple as possible
Okay, but remember what happens with your buoys mod, when many light buoys are in the area

Quote:
and I don't think that a fastparticlegenerator is needed (and even possible ?).
Why not possible? It is in the list of the SHIII controllers. Not used much in SHIII, but in SH5 it is, and it is normally used for quick effects, like our flashing lights.
Not saying that we have to use it, but let's make a mental note about it, in case we need it in future

Quote:
Already posted just above ! I'm currently making more tests about that idea.
good!

Quote:
It's not really "pink". I let you test the new effect (color and animation) :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g2i2f3...hthouse_FX.dat
Okay, I am going to test it

Quote:
Yes, that would be so cool. I have to see what can be done here.
Yes please!
It is just a small detail, but one that might raise the realism level by a factor 2
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 02:07 PM   #437
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Okay, but remember what happens with your buoys mod, when many light buoys are in the area
All was fine. A problem only occured if there was a lot of buoys AND a light node for each halo.
Old 07-30-17, 02:28 PM   #438
gap
Navy Seal

Icon7

Quote:
All was fine. A problem only occured if there was a lot of buoys AND a light node for each halo.
Okay, light nodes are another nasty thing

I have to go now. Tomorrow I will test your reworked light effect and hopefully I will upload the next version of our lighthouse with some new features and many fine-tunings, optimizations and fixes

Have a nice evening
Old 07-30-17, 02:51 PM   #439
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Brilliant! Maybe this effect is not very useful for the lighthouse we are currently working on
It will be for the Creac'h "landing" lighthouse (as we say in french), which has one of the most powerful light in the world.
Old 07-31-17, 03:27 AM   #440
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
cool CREAC'H LIGHT

What do you think ?

I just would like the beams to be larger on the extremities, to not looking like laser beams. The problem is that the texture is no more applied correctly on them, there are some holes in the light beams. Could you help me ? I will send you the testing tower by PM.

The idea is this :

Last edited by Kendras; 07-31-17 at 03:44 AM.
Old 07-31-17, 05:07 AM   #441
itadriver
Commander

Downloads: 221
Uploads: 0

Great !!!!
itadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-17, 12:43 PM   #442
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
What do you think ?

Quote:
I just would like the beams to be larger on the extremities, to not looking like laser beams.
I agree: smaller at their origin and wider at the extremities, and much more transparent

Quote:
The problem is that the texture is no more applied correctly on them, there are some holes in the light beams. Could you help me ? I will send you the testing tower by PM.
Sure, send the files

On a side note: I have tested your improved flashing light effect and it works as a charm. Even the ghost sqare around the light flash texture has disappeared

I have another suggestion. In theory, light intensity should decrease with the distance following the inverse-square law, but currently our effect is as bright when seen in close-up view as it is when seen from far away.
Would it be possible making it to gradually fade away until it completely disappears at a distance of about 8 nm (14.8 km) from its source?

EDIT: something else I would do, is making the flash considerably smaller: it looks a bit too big for such a modest light. If we kept the currents size, how big should be in comparison Créac'h's flare?

Last edited by gap; 07-31-17 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-31-17, 01:19 PM   #443
MLF
Weps

Downloads: 137

Quote:

I wish I could take some screenies:
Hi Gap

I had a problem with that as well. Look in the Silent Hunter III root folder. If you have a file d3d9.dll rename it (don't delete). This will take you away from a wide screen view, but allow screenshots by using 'Alt'+ 'PrtSc' and the pasting into a prog like Paintshop to generate the .jpg file. Worked for me, but if d3d9.dll doesn't exist then not a solution.

I'm following this thread with amazement at the way you guys are progressing. Good stuff.

Regards,

MLF
Old 07-31-17, 02:23 PM   #444
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF View Post
I had a problem with that as well. Look in the Silent Hunter III root folder. If you have a file d3d9.dll rename it (don't delete). This will take you away from a wide screen view, but allow screenshots by using 'Alt'+ 'PrtSc' and the pasting into a prog like Paintshop to generate the .jpg file. Worked for me, but if d3d9.dll doesn't exist then not a solution.
Hi MLF, unfortunately there is not such a file in the root folder of my SHIII installation, but thank you anyway

Quote:
I'm following this thread with amazement at the way you guys are progressing. Good stuff.
It has been a while since the last alpha version that you have tested, but compared to that, the upcoming version will have:
  • working specular reflections on all the model surfaces, changing with general luminosity and with light angle;
  • better caustics effect and shadowing both on the lighthouse base and on the underneath rock (but only underwater);
  • improved material attributes for all the materials used by the model;
  • improved light flare effect, which will cast reflections on the sea surface;
  • fully collisionable/damageable model;
  • damage decals expecially made for the model;
  • tower top, eaves and configurable items detachable from the model when they incur a certain level of damage;
  • hopefully (if Kendras manages doing the magic ), foam from crashing waves on the sea surface, around the base of the lighthouse;
  • maybe (if I manage doing the magic ), different wave lapping/crashing sounds triggered by wave height, in place of the one lapping sound currently featured, that plays without interruption no matter what sea conditions are.

Stay tuned for this new version
Old 07-31-17, 02:56 PM   #445
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
On a side note: I have tested your improved flashing light effect and it works as a charm. Even the ghost sqare around the light flash texture has disappeared
I have discovered what caused halo texture borders to become visible: during my arrangement of the effect node, I had inadvertently moved the fog controller on top of the particle generator; apparently the latter must be on top
Old 07-31-17, 04:32 PM   #446
MLF
Weps

Downloads: 137

Quote:

It has been a while since the last alpha version that you have tested, but compared to that, the upcoming version will have:
  • working specular reflections on all the model surfaces, changing with general luminosity and with light angle;
  • better caustics effect and shadowing both on the lighthouse base and on the underneath rock (but only underwater);
  • tower top, eaves and configurable items detachable from the model when they incur a certain level of damage;
  • hopefully (if Kendras manages doing the magic ), foam from crashing waves on the sea surface, around the base of the lighthouse;
  • maybe (if I manage doing the magic ), different wave lapping/crashing sounds triggered by wave height, in place of the one lapping sound currently featured, that plays without interruption no matter what sea conditions are.

wow!!!!! brilliant!
This is ground breaking work that must be of great value to all modders of SH3

Regards, MLF
Old 07-31-17, 05:32 PM   #447
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
wow!!!!! brilliant!
This is ground breaking work that must be of great value to all modders of SH3

Regards, MLF
Well, "groundbreaking" is definitely too much. Most of the notions that this mod in its current state is based on, are scattered here and there in the forum and/or borrowed from later games of the SH series. Anyway I believe that the work we are doing is at least original, and I hope that other modders can take ispiration from it for making the best of their own talent and creativity
Old 07-31-17, 05:36 PM   #448
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Sure, send the files
Already sent.

Quote:
I have another suggestion. In theory, light intensity should decrease with the distance following the inverse-square law, but currently our effect is as bright when seen in close-up view as it is when seen from far away.
Would it be possible making it to gradually fade away until it completely disappears at a distance of about 8 nm (14.8 km) from its source?
No, I think it's not possible.

Quote:
something else I would do, is making the flash considerably smaller: it looks a bit too big for such a modest light.
Yes, I used a big size to control the correct visual aspect of the effect. Now, it's easy to reduce its size. Another thing about the light : it's noted "VQ", which means very quick if i'm correct. But at the moment, the light is rather quick than very quick. So, I think I will make the light flashes shorter, but with same period of course.

Quote:
Hi MLF, unfortunately there is not such a file in the root folder of my SHIII installation, but thank you anyway
In order to take screenshots, don't use full screen option. Take screenshot with your normal shortcut to print the screen, and paste it in a picture software (paint).

Quote:

Good news !
Old 07-31-17, 06:37 PM   #449
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Already sent.
Where? My PM box on subsim or my private e-mail?

Quote:
No, I think it's not possible.
That's a shame. I think I saw LOD/distance settings among the parameters of some type of particle generator, but it was probably the, more sophisticated, SH5 version of them.

If we don't find any better solution, what about doing the effect a bit more subdued? As it is now, in full day, that litlle lantern is more shiny than the sun itself

Quote:
Yes, I used a big size to control the correct visual aspect of the effect. Now, it's easy to reduce its size.
Okay, I would halve the current size for a start, and see how it looks...

Quote:
Another thing about the light : it's noted "VQ", which means very quick if i'm correct. But at the moment, the light is rather quick than very quick. So, I think I will make the light flashes shorter, but with same period of course.
Well, if we must follow the VQ flashing pattern schematized in the picture I had posted a few weeks ago, the sequence should be:

(short dark interval + light flash) x 9 = 6s (light and darkness of more or less equal duration = ca. 0.33s each)
long dark interval = 4s

I think you got this sequence about right, but if you think you can further improve it, why not?

Quote:
In order to take screenshots, don't use full screen option. Take screenshot with your normal shortcut to print the screen, and paste it in a picture software (paint).
I will try, but how do I switch to windowed mode?

Quote:
Good news !

Last edited by gap; 07-31-17 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-31-17, 06:50 PM   #450
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Where? My PM box on subsim or my private e-mail?
Your PM box on Subsim is always full, isn't it ?

Quote:
If we don't find any better solution, what about doing the effect a bit more subdued? As it is now, in full day, that litlle lantern is more shiny than the sun itself.
I prefer a too much bright light during day, than not enough bright during night.

Quote:
I will try, but how do I switch to windowed mode?
In graphic options.