Old 02-02-21, 10:19 PM   #316
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Just a harmless little song...

Louie, Louie: The frat-house/any other drunken reverie classic song song has a few unusual distinctions; in addition to being covered by hundreds of bands/singers over the decades since Richard Berry recorder his original in 1955, the song has been routinely banned, scrutinized, analyzed, and has been the source of some of the most ridiculous overreactions ever over a song/recording; the main target of the frenzy has been the 1963 recording of the song by The Kingsmen, done in one take for in a recording session that cost all of USD $50.00; allegedly, the band had been imbibing a bit before and during the session and that, coupled with the bargain-basement recording session, contributed to the muddled, almost indecipherable vocal on the song; an urban legend grew up about the lyrics and parents, government officials/agencies, educators, etc., were convinced, if they couldn't understand the song, it had to be really, really dirty, so a long and lingering effort was launched to suss out the filth and ban the song forever...

How bad did it get? Would you believe there were actual US Congressional hearings and that the FBI spent about two (2) years investigating the lyrics in an effort to defend common decency:

'Louie Louie': Indecipherable, Or Indecent? An FBI Investigation --

https://www.npr.org/2015/05/02/40362...-investigation

The above article not only describes the wildly extreme extents the FBI engaged in try to preserve 'Merican morality, it also includes a link to the actual FBI report on the song, complete with the FBI's analysis and text of the lyrics which are, to say the least, way far off from the actual lyrics of the song; it kind of makes one wonder if the FBI was engaging in a bit of imbibing while they were listening intently to those 'immoral' lyrics...

Oddly, if you listen to the original, unedited recording, the lead singer misses the cue after the middle guitar break and comes in too soon, catches his error, and stops to wait for the right cue; as he stops his mis-start, you can hear him, under his breath, swear, with a decidedly not clean word; oddly, the actual swear word in the recording is almost always missed by those commenting on the record...

An even weirder fact about Louie Louie is that the song was banned by a US university, the University of South Carolina, not because of the song's alleged racy lyrics, but because the song was seriously damaging the university's football stadium; the schools marching band would, like so many other school bands, play the song as part of their performances and the stadium crowd would join in singing the song, stomping their feet and swaying to the rhythm; so many people stomping and swaying at the same tome caused a resonance effect with the vibrations being at a near-perfect harmony with the structure's elements, cause alarming damage to the building; worries that continued renditions of Louie, Louie might bring the structure down caused the school's administration to ban any further performances; as far as I know, Louie, Louie is the only song ever to be banned for being structurally dangerous...

<O>

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 11:04 AM   #317
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The sun makes up more than 99 percent of our solar system's mass.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 05:57 PM   #318
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

The female opossum has 13 nipples.
Old 02-03-21, 10:36 PM   #319
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

That's odd!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 03:02 AM   #320
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The Sun makes up more than 99 percent of our solar system's mass.
That's a lot, even for Rupert Murdoch.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 08:36 AM   #321
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
That's a lot, even for Rupert Murdoch.

Old 02-05-21, 09:06 AM   #322
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

There's a tiny home in Virginia called the "Spite House" because that's why it was built.

Old 02-05-21, 10:00 AM   #323
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
There's a tiny home in Virginia called the "Spite House" because that's why it was built.

I must've walked by that house a thousand times. Old Town was one of my favorite hangouts as a young man. There was an interesting "park" at the end of the street that had an obelisk and giant pieces of crumbled statues. I took my wife there once when we were dating.

Old 02-05-21, 12:06 PM   #324
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

^ Here's more: https://www.treehugger.com/uniquely-...houses-4868534 I pass this one in Alameda when patrolling or going to Alameda Naval Air Station
Quote:
<A particularly infamous and impractically sited spite house in Alameda, California. The 10-foot-wide abode was built by a landowner to agitate both the city and an indifferent neighbor after his land was seized for a road construction project.
As a former RE appraiser: something like this would tend to affect neighboring prices as it is an 'underimprovement' for the neighborhood especially in upscale Alameda Island... and the increase in traffic if it is an attraction is equally annoying.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 03:00 PM   #325
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

In old Christian art, good angels were red and Satan was blue.

Old 02-06-21, 07:36 AM   #326
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The tallest supported bamboo sculpture is more than 164-feet high.

Old 02-06-21, 01:21 PM   #327
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

About one in every 4 million lobsters is born with a rare genetic defect that turns it blue.
Old 02-06-21, 01:55 PM   #328
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A Harry Potter book filled with typos sold for $90,000.

Old 02-07-21, 05:14 AM   #329
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

The famous "Heisman pose" is based on Ed Smith, a former NYU running back who modeled for the trophy’s sculptor in 1934.
Old 02-07-21, 07:41 AM   #330
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Butch and femme are terms used in the lesbian subculture to ascribe or acknowledge a masculine (butch) or feminine (femme) identity with its associated traits, behaviors, styles, self-perception, and so on. The terms were founded in lesbian communities in the twentieth century.