SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-28-10, 01:19 PM   #1
Kapitan Klaffmuschel
Watch

Downloads: 138
Uploads: 0
Default YACTD (GWXGold + SH3Cdr)

Ahoy:

Disclaimer:
I am a long time player of SH3 and SH4. This year I'm running SH3 with the GWX gold mod and SH3 Commander (3.2.0.203). I've been running this since January and have seen a couple of CTds on loading a saved game. I have already searched high and low in the forums for specific guidance regarding recovery from these issues. Thanks to all of the very helpful users who have posted their potential solutions to these issues.

I'm not going to post a zombie-state-inducing list of harware, software, and refirgerator contents. The game is running well, with the exception of a few speedbumps (see HMS Astute) along the way. The game is Stock SH3 update with the GWXgold mod. I've been using GameBooster for about two months as well.

I'm currently in a career that has had one previous CTD on load (Jan 41) which I was able to recover from. I am on my 22nd patrol, based in Lorient, with patrol grid ET98 assigned. The boat (U-108) is in transit approximately 750 Km WSW of Lisbon, in open water. I have recently (7-10 hours game time) received a contact report and have positioned the boat across the project convoy path. The boat is running on the surface at about 9-10 knots in good weather. Prior to saving I dove to 25 meters to perform a sonar search for the convoy and upon hearing nothing but fish, surfaced. I set a course to cross the convoy's path at an oblique angle and set "Ahead 1/3". I then paused the game to handle some work I needed to do.

While the game was paused I accidentally remoted into the machine from another and did some work, logging out at the end. When I realized what had happened I logged in locally and resumed play to see if the game would tolerate such silliness. I had no trouble and after 5 minutes or so I saved and exited.

This morning, no go. CTD on load. Said another way, "Not so log ago..." crash. Not even the fadedout dials before the crash. OK...

In the past I have recovered from these by reloading using SH3 Cdr and selecting single mission instead of my career. Run a single mission (usually one with a convoy in it) for several minutes and then exit and then resume my career. USUALLY, after a really long load this resolves the mishmash and gets me back to where I was. Today not so much.

I into Windows Explorer and reset the ownership and read only attributes for my SH3 folder in My Documents, thinking that possibley the remote session cause a file or two to be owned by the tsclient. No joy.

I reverted to the previous save, which also failed to load at the same point. Despite all of the recorded issues with SH3 loading over the years I have never experienced a case where two saves failed to load in the same career/patrol. This led me to believe that the problem was with the video settings which might have been "adjusted" during the remote session the previous evening so I went and reset my video options to, hopefully, resolve that possible source. Again, no joy.

When entering my career via SH3 Cdr there is a null grid assigned. Once in the career load screen the correct patrol grid is displayed. I recall from some years ago that there was a specific piece of data that could be edited in cases of a null patrol grid. I don't know if that still applies, but I have been unable to locate any reference to it in the forums despite several searches over the past 10 months.

The only good news with this situation is that, so far this patrol has been one long, boring drive. The only contacts I've seen are a sinlg ship map contact just prior to the convoy radio report. The net is that the boat has recorded ZERO tons for this patrol. I can afford to retrace my steps, although I prefer to just resume and get after that convoy that's (by my best calcs) within 50 Km of my boat.

Some insightful, assistance would be appreciated,

Captain Clam
Kapitan Klaffmuschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-10, 08:23 AM   #2
Kapitan Klaffmuschel
Watch

Downloads: 138
Uploads: 0
No longer an issue

Rolled back another save and the game loaded fine. Now the crew gets to experience Deja-vu.
Kapitan Klaffmuschel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, ctd, grid, load, resume