SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-29-20, 10:08 AM   #1
Deadmode
Watch

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Icon9 Returning player, load order issues.

Hi all.

Returning to SH3 after a long while without playing. Had uninstalled so have had to download and re-install everything.

I'm having a strange issue whereby my game loads and starts a SH3 Commander career just fine, but if I exit and attempt to reload the save (without touching JSGME or any mods in between), the game will CTD when loading the save file. To clarify, I can load into menus fine but it crashes when loading the save.

I have attached a copy of my JSGME load order. Can someone help me?

Last edited by Deadmode; 11-29-20 at 11:02 AM.
Deadmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 11:19 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Deadmode!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 02:34 PM   #3
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

yep, Ive been playing SH3 since the beginning , been trying al lsorts of mods and followed others mod loading and basically its a crap shoot. don't listen to anyone for the most part you will ALWAYS have issues.

right now i am able to load a new game except for a career haha

welcome to modding sh3
fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 04:00 PM   #4
diego_gut
Soundman

Downloads: 25

Hello,

I am not sure what is wrong with your install but perhaps I can give you a few pointers.

- You don't need GWX 16km Atmosphere (Mep6 is a 20km environment). You should remove it.

- You should remove integrated orders because it will be replaced by DGUI. I am working on adding integrated orders to DGUI and it will be available on next version. For now they are not compatible.

- GWX Late war sensors, snorkel and antennas should be installed when they are available in game.

- SH3Commander config files should be installed to SH3Commander directory , not SH3 directory.

- DGUI still lacks some commands for TKSS18 compilation but it will probably work if installed last. Those commands will be included in next version.

Regards,

Diego
diego_gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 04:05 PM   #5
fastfed
Grey Wolf

yep hes right, you will most likely still have CTD, but good luck lol
Old 11-29-20, 04:44 PM   #6
diego_gut
Soundman

Also, if you followed DGUI's install instructions you should have the 4Gb patch but make sure you do. Lack of memory is the usual cause for CTDs.
diego_gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 05:51 PM   #7
Deadmode
Watch

Downloads: 15

Thanks for the tips guys.

Followed the advice given and no joy. I then re-applied the 4GB patch and that has seemed to fix it..so far!

Strange, because I am pretty sure I applied the patch :S
Deadmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 09:38 PM   #8
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmode View Post
Thanks for the tips guys.

Followed the advice given and no joy. I then re-applied the 4GB patch and that has seemed to fix it..so far!

Strange, because I am pretty sure I applied the patch :S
I know I sound negative, but chances are its not fixed, keep playing you'll have more CTD
Old 11-30-20, 06:49 AM   #9
Seth Buttercrump
Watch

Downloads: 5

I am in a similar position- returning player now using GWX and SH3 Commander. Some save games load, some don't. It seems to be a random issue except it only affects mid-mission save games so at worst I have to scrub the mission progress and restart back in port.
Seth Buttercrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-20, 02:11 PM   #10
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Buttercrump View Post
I am in a similar position- returning player now using GWX and SH3 Commander. Some save games load, some don't. It seems to be a random issue except it only affects mid-mission save games so at worst I have to scrub the mission progress and restart back in port.
always best to try and finish the mission before exiting.

you're not alone, after 20 years of modding this game everyone has issues, some are worse than others but we all have them
Old 11-30-20, 08:59 PM   #11
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

If you're having problems with saves not reloading, try just pausing the game.
Old 12-08-20, 07:16 PM   #12
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmode View Post
Hi all.

Returning to SH3 after a long while without playing. Had uninstalled so have had to download and re-install everything.

I'm having a strange issue whereby my game loads and starts a SH3 Commander career just fine, but if I exit and attempt to reload the save (without touching JSGME or any mods in between), the game will CTD when loading the save file. To clarify, I can load into menus fine but it crashes when loading the save.

I have attached a copy of my JSGME load order. Can someone help me?

The one immediate fix I found for crashing on loading saves whilst running a similar mod loadout to you is running SH3.exe in compatability mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

To do this right click on SH3.exe, go into properties, select "compatibility" and Windows XP (Service Pack 2) will be in the drop down list, this literally solved all issues I was having with CTD.

If that doesn't help make sure you only load a career where you are in port rather than mid patrol and install the 4gb patch.
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote