SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-13, 08:03 PM   #3736
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targor Avelany View Post
That is the trick: to figure out what to do with them. If I have too many meshes that are in the file, but my actual object doesn't have that much (something I try to avoid), I either add something to the object or split something off and do separately. Like in case a a balloon, if I had it in one single object (I dunno ofc how you have it), and I had 2 meshes in the file I would split all the cables off into a separate mesh and use it in the second mesh. They always can use the same mats. If I have more objects and not enough meshes, then I work on how can I reduce: subsets, if they can use same mats (can't atm have more than 3 different subsets with 3 different materials, which is painful) and use it to the fullest.
This is just what I plan to do.

I am currently looking for a stock GR2 file with one model and four meshes: one for the balloon, one for the cables and two more for their respective collision models. The two visible meshes will share the same three texture maps (diffuse, AO and normal), but possibly I will use two different material maps (one for each mesh).
Materials and textures shouldn't pose any problem anyway: we can add as many of them as we want, and I am well within the limit of two materials per mesh.
Bone/meshes hierarchy (for the collision models) shouldn't be a problem either: we can change bone parent at our wish.
The main limit is the number of meshes.

Let me know if you find a GR2 object with four of them.

Quote:
I don't know if my way is right, but to me it seems better not to leave anything just in a "shadow" mod. Don't know why, but I feel it creates more problems
I feel exactly the same way
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-13, 08:24 PM   #3737
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
This is just what I plan to do.

I am currently looking for a stock GR2 file with one model and four meshes: one for the balloon, one for the cables and two more for their respective collision models. The two visible meshes will share the same three texture maps (diffuse, AO and normal), but possibly I will use two different material maps (one for each mesh).
Materials and textures shouldn't pose any problem anyway: we can add as many of them as we want, and I am well within the limit of two materials per mesh.
Bone/meshes hierarchy (for the collision models) shouldn't be a problem either: we can change bone parent at our wish.
The main limit is the number of meshes.

Let me know if you find a GR2 object with four of them.

I feel exactly the same way
You can add and remove subsets at a whim, especially with them using the same textures. Unless you want to assign different controllers to them, though I'm guessing here.
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-13, 08:41 PM   #3738
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
You can add and remove subsets at a whim, especially with them using the same textures. Unless you want to assign different controllers to them, though I'm guessing here.
Talking about the balloon, I am not especially concerned about subsets. As I told you before one subset per mesh should be enough, but I need for 4 separate meshes. Should I not find them, I will use a 3-mesh GR2 file: two meshes for the visible model, and one mesh for an unified collision model (likewise small stock aircraft)
Old 09-04-13, 10:22 AM   #3739
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

heh. That is a tough one
I went through a good chunk of the GR2s and so far haven't seen 4-mesh one.

I'll let you know if I stumble across one.
Old 09-04-13, 02:31 PM   #3740
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
heh. That is a tough one
I went through a good chunk of the GR2s and so far haven't seen 4-mesh one.
Nor I

Quote:
I'll let you know if I stumble across one.
Thank you Targor.

One last question: do material names matter. Together with descriptive texture/material names, like 'skin', 'prop', 'glass', etc, I have met names like 'Map #7029', 'Material #5298', 'Standard_18' etc. I wonder what this progressive numbering is for
Old 09-04-13, 02:42 PM   #3741
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Nor I

Thank you Targor.

One last question: do material names matter. Together with descriptive texture/material names, like 'skin', 'prop', 'glass', etc, I have met names like 'Map #7029', 'Material #5298', 'Standard_18' etc. I wonder what this progressive numbering is for
honestly, I don't think they mean a thing. It seems to me that all this naming in materials was only for the purpose of creators of the mesh itself, so it feeds only their preferences and has no actual meaning for the file or the game. At least that is what I think, as I was not able to find any link or consistency. Even to the point where you THINK you have a consistency in naming when all of a sudden it makes no sense at all again.

So I don't believe it matters at all.
Old 09-04-13, 05:31 PM   #3742
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
honestly, I don't think they mean a thing. It seems to me that all this naming in materials was only for the purpose of creators of the mesh itself, so it feeds only their preferences and has no actual meaning for the file or the game. At least that is what I think, as I was not able to find any link or consistency. Even to the point where you THINK you have a consistency in naming when all of a sudden it makes no sense at all again.

So I don't believe it matters at all.
Okay, thank you Targor

with this last peace of information I am almost ready to import the new balloon in a GR2 file.

@ Trevally

the GR2 version of the barrage balloon should be ready within this week. Have you reinstalled SH5 yet? Could you help me testing it in game?
Old 09-06-13, 04:49 AM   #3743
gap
Navy Seal

Default New dolphin skin

yesterday I have been absorbed for a couple of hours by a little texturing excercise:

before:

after:

pretty good, don't you agree?

While we wait for Trevally to hopefully update the next version of OH with this new texture, if you like it you can get it from the following link:

Open Horizons II - The Flipper Update

JSGME ready; enable it after OHII
Old 09-06-13, 06:03 AM   #3744
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
..pretty good, don't you agree?

While we wait for Trevally to hopefully update the next version of OH with this new texture, if you like it you can get it from the following link:

Thank you Gap

That's really very nice Flippers now

PS: spam hunter??

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-13, 08:04 AM   #3745
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Quote:

Open Horizons II - The Flipper UpdateJSGME ready; enable it after OHII
Nice, thank you Gap
tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-13, 08:09 AM   #3746
chun
Helmsman

Downloads: 445

Gap
I'm sorry your download does not contain anything, you can upload it again please?
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-13, 08:45 AM   #3747
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
Gap
I'm sorry your download does not contain anything, you can upload it again please?
oops .. I downloaded and didn't even look into the archive ..

Thanks Chun

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-13, 09:00 AM   #3748
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
@ Trevally

the GR2 version of the barrage balloon should be ready within this week. Have you reinstalled SH5 yet? Could you help me testing it in game?
Hi Gap - sorry for the delay in my reply. I am switching my broadband to another and am having some issues

Yes - I now have SH5 updated with OHII and am ready to mod
I will gladly help with the ballons
I have however just purchased Total War Rome II and am finding myself getting lost in your neck of the woods

Quote:
yesterday I have been absorbed for a couple of hours by a little texturing excercise:

before:

after:

pretty good, don't you agree?

For sure

I will add this and sobers updates etc to the new version that your ballons will make
Old 09-06-13, 10:02 AM   #3749
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
PS: spam hunter??
yep, from now on the acronym SH means to me a totally new game and new challenges: Spam Hunter - Battle of the Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
oops .. I downloaded and didn't even look into the archive ..

Thanks Chun
ops... my bad. Link at page #3749 fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Hi Gap - sorry for the delay in my reply. I am switching my broadband to another and am having some issues
No problem

Quote:
Yes - I now have SH5 updated with OHII and am ready to mod
I will gladly help with the ballons

Quote:
I have however just purchased Total War Rome II and am finding myself getting lost in your neck of the woods
If you are playing Caesar, make sure to get rid of those annoying Britons

Quote:
For sure

I will add this and sobers updates etc to the new version that your ballons will make
I got several other ideas for improving various graphical features of OH:

- converting mines, buoys, etc. to GR2 objects;
- various improvement of the Whale;
- porting some stock armaments to the dat format for use with the imported ships;
- giving a go to the conversion of the imported units to the GR2 format.

This, plus some new features I have in mind (a few new ships and airplanes, new bombs, British fire ballons, etc.). But let's do things step by step, I am focusing on the barrage balloon right now.
Old 09-06-13, 10:26 AM   #3750
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
yep, from now on the acronym SH means to me a totally new game and new challenges: Spam Hunter - Battle of the Web

ops... my bad. Link at page #3749 fixed.

No problem

If you are playing Caesar, make sure to get rid of those annoying Britons

I got several other ideas for improving various graphical features of OH:

- converting mines, buoys, etc. to GR2 objects;
- various improvement of the Whale;
- porting some stock armaments to the dat format for use with the imported ships;
- giving a go to the conversion of the imported units to the GR2 format.

This, plus some new features I have in mind (a few new ships and airplanes, new bombs, British fire ballons, etc.). But let's do things step by step, I am focusing on the barrage balloon right now.
Importing various small stuff and ships into GR2 will be moderately easy.
Anything with animation - a very different story.

I have tried something once and so far it didn't work very well:
I took tube doors + animation gr2 from 7b and tried replacing one of the tube doors. There is something with the symmetry of the gr2. Whether I was exporting obj files off, using some weird settings - but so far all my attempts resulted in very bizare results: the objects comes out like an inside-out glove

I'm still trying, but it is something to keep in mind.

Tags
awesome, campaign, graf zeppelin, harbour, new bases, new ships, ohii