SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-20, 10:59 PM   #766
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Rockstar, so true. Here in Japan officials and experts are saying that masks do protect from infection, and they are ramping up production as quickly as possible for the general public due to massive shortages. In my city, I haven't seen a surgical mask for sale in any stores for over 2 months. Only signs on empty shelves saying 'out of stock until further notice'.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 11:24 PM   #767
Traveller
Captain

The US isn't ready for a massive outbreak, experts warn.
Quote:
A moderate scenario might be a million hospitalizations — meaning 200,000 people would need to be in the intensive care unit, and 64,000 people would need breathing machines, said CNN's Chief Medical Correspondent Sanjay Gupta.

The question: "We don't have all that. We have maybe just barely that. And many of those ventilators and breathing machines are currently being used. What are we going to do if that many people actually need care like that?" Gupta said.

The answer: "It's one area where the response has been laggard," responded Ron Klein, President Barack Obama's Ebola response coordinator.

"Getting our health care system ready for the influx of cases is something we should be doing now. We saw in China they built temporary hospitals. They really flexed up their capacity," he said.

"It's not just the people who get coronavirus are going to be affected by this. If hospital emergency rooms are overwhelmed, if doctors and nurses treating those people get sick and staffing drops at our hospitals, if we don't have enough beds, people with other illnesses won't be able to get into the hospital and get treatment. People with routine medical conditions won't be able to get treatment. The possible impact on our health care system is something we should be using this time, as cases ramp up, to get ready for."
https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-n...hnk/index.html

To be honest, no country's health care system can handle what is coming.
Old 03-05-20, 11:52 PM   #768
Traveller
Captain

Old 03-06-20, 04:20 AM   #769
Traveller
Captain

(also read the comments under the video on the YouTube page. Very disturbing anecdotal evidence from various posters)

No matter where you all live, be prepared for lots of empty shelves, probably for at least the next 6 months. Most of their factories are still shut down, as is most container shipping traffic to (raw materials) and from (finished products) China.

Here's a recent before and after pollution satellite photo showing that probably 95% of their manufacturing is currently shut down:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...virus-outbreak

South Korea confirms 827 new cases on Friday. Total number of infected now almost 6,600.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/coro...a-pacific.html

Last edited by Traveller; 03-06-20 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-06-20, 06:29 AM   #770
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

The results are amazing and are due to 5 million gallons a day in less crude oil being used
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 07:06 AM   #771
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Getting mask now in Germany, is literally impossible. They are out of stock everywhere,s ince ten days or so.

Governments lie. Of course they lie, becasue they want to avoid panic. I did not beleive the German government and its claims about how well under control everything is from beginning on. We have quite some stories circulating already that reveal that the system of ours doe snto work too well.

I am getting wheat again, and will reactivate my old bread-baker machine by Panasonic, baking my own bread again. Helps to avoid needing to go shopping at the baker. Ready baking mixtures are also an option.

I leave the house, of course I do. But I avoid the town now, and leave to do some cycling outside the city.
Old 03-06-20, 07:19 AM   #772
Traveller
Captain

Seattle XFL stadium worker tests positive for coronavirus.
Quote:
A part-time employee at CenturyLink Field who worked at the February 22 game between the XFL’s Seattle Dragons and Dallas Renegades has tested positive for coronavirus, according health officials for King County in Washington.

Seattle’s professional sports organizations -- Dragons, First & Goal/Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders FC -- will continue with scheduled events for now, but the teams are in touch with local health officials and their respective leagues on a regular basis.
The games must continue, at any cost!

55 year-old female Iranian MP dies from coronavirus.
Quote:
Fatemeh Rahbar, a newly elected member of the Iranian Parliament, has died from coronavirus on Friday, according to Iran’s Tasnim News Agency.

Rahbar was a representative for the residents of Tehran. After her health worsened, she had to be connected to an oxygen machine, according to Tasnim.

Number of confirmed cases in Belgium more than doubles in one day, from 50 to 109. Number of confirmed cases in Germany rises to 534.
Quote:
The number of coronavirus cases in Belgium has more than doubled in the last 24 hours, according to a government statement released on Friday.

The confirmed cases in the country have risen from 50 to 109.

In neighboring Germany, the number of confirmed coronavirus cases has risen to 534, according to the German Center for Disease Control Robert-Koch-Institute.
https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-n...hnk/index.html

60 staff at Cork University Hospital in Ireland ordered to self-isolate. No details yet.

Global stock markets have lost a total of $9 trillion so far.
Quote:
About $9 trillion has been wiped off global stocks in nine days, Bank of America said in a research note after US markets closed deep in the red again on Thursday.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/coro...a-pacific.html

Last edited by Traveller; 03-06-20 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-06-20, 08:14 AM   #773
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
A woman with underlying health conditions has become the first person in the UK to die after testing positive for coronavirus.

The Royal Berkshire NHS Trust said the patient, understood to be in her 70s, had been "in and out of hospital for non-coronavirus reasons".

She was admitted and tested positive for coronavirus on Wednesday.

It comes as the number of UK people diagnosed with the virus reached 116, a rise of more than 30 in 24 hours.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51759602
It had to come.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 08:32 AM   #774
Skybird
Soaring

I went a bit into the links provided above, on air masks.Some words of caution on some of what is beign said there.

While the data on infection rates amongst practical workers stands as it is, the claims on "having tested masks" lacks description how testing is being done in the lab , and methodology. While i may be accepting that a coarse filtering still is better than none (it will not block free virusses, but particles on which virusses for the most sit attached to them) , a finer filter of course is always better, and, and this is my main argument, it is about the fit of masks on the face. Surgical masks never seal mouth and nose against air streams at the rims of the mask completely, when the shape and material are such that they do not reliably follow the contours of skin and face. This imo is a very huge disadvantage of simple surgical masks used for the purpose of shielding you against breathing in virusses from the environment. The better alternative thus always is to use so-called respiratory masks which usally have a hardframe with soft silicon lips at the rims that allow the user to seal off nose and mouth more reliably from the environment, also, these masks apply more pressure by more solid rubber bands to keep the mask in place.

Where you still can get your hands on masks, if you have the choice always prefer respiratory masks, or half-frame masks as they are called over here.

Do not use a mask filter until it is soaking with moisture. A wet filter provides no protection anymore, even helps to distribute virusses back into the environment. You want FFP3 standard, not FFP2 filter. P2 does not filter free-floating virusses out.
Old 03-06-20, 08:47 AM   #775
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post

Here's a recent before and after pollution satellite photo showing that probably 95% of their manufacturing is currently shut down:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...virus-outbreak

Interesting because when you think about the levels of pollution over there I'd bet most Chinese have some degree of unhealthy underlying respiratory condition. I had written earlier the sky is so thick with pollution many Chinese have never seen the sun. Breathing that crap into their lungs since birth may have also been a contributing factor to such high death rates in China. But if corporate goons can keep you believing the virus was the one and only reason, its business as usual for them. Unlike the religion of man made global warming. I'd bet we could come up with some solid numbers that would reveal such pollution was a contributing factor to a great many deaths.

be safe, professional medical personnel from cooks to brain surgeons have a huge task ahead of them. do them a favor and listen to their recommendations. self quarantine if necessary , reduce social contact, stay healthy.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-06-20 at 09:10 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 09:24 AM   #776
Skybird
Soaring

Lets fish in the conspiracy theory lake on another day, Rockstar. While it is true that high air pollution correlates with cardiovascular deseases and deseases of the respiratory system, the global numbers we get on Covid19 are speaking a quite clear language if following the principle of Occam's razor: the L-strain of it, that is the mutated form, is more dangerous and lethal than the original S-strain, and those places who suffer from especially high numbers like in Italy, mostly are affectd by the L-strain. Thats why their numbers are so high.

The fun starts when it mutates again. Possible that it then starts to really bite badly. Not to mention that then it would already be THREE vaccines that are needed.

The development of the SARS vaccine took 7 years, btw.

The economic fallout of it can be expected to become apparent from the second half of March on. Its then when the last containers from china will arrive and no more supplies are at sea.
Old 03-06-20, 10:27 AM   #777
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Lets fish in the conspiracy theory lake on another day, Rockstar. While it is true that high air pollution correlates with cardiovascular deseases and deseases of the respiratory system, the global numbers we get on Covid19 are speaking a quite clear language if following the principle of Occam's razor: the L-strain of it, that is the mutated form, is more dangerous and lethal than the original S-strain, and those places who suffer from especially high numbers like in Italy, mostly are affectd by the L-strain. Thats why their numbers are so high.

The fun starts when it mutates again. Possible that it then starts to really bite badly. Not to mention that then it would already be THREE vaccines that are needed.

The development of the SARS vaccine took 7 years, btw.

The economic fallout of it can be expected to become apparent from the second half of March on. Its then when the last containers from china will arrive and no more supplies are at sea.
Sorry Skybird I can't help but to keep poking the AGW crowd.

We seem to moving right along. Currently there are several drugs in use that show promise. Ribavirin, penciclovir, nitazoxanide, nafamostat, chloroquine and two well-known broad-spectrum antiviral drugs remdesivir and favipiravir. Unfortunetaly they are probably not available to everyone.

As for vaccine development I know in the U.S. the normal process can take time. Probably why they have already started testing new drugs in China as their regulations may be a bit more relaxed than ours. But we do have what is called 'fast track' for outbreaks like this.
https://www.fda.gov/patients/fast-tr...iew/fast-track

But I dont think the FDA was what really held things up. With advances in sequencing technology the days of waiting years is IMO a thing of the past.

Quote:
According to Moderna, the vaccine was developed within 42 days of the company obtaining genetic information on the coronavirus. By comparison, it took researchers about 20 months to start human tests of the vaccine for SARS, an older coronavirus, according to a journal paper written by Fauci.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/busin...ine/index.html

Quote:
Though the process will take time, drugmakers still expect to move faster than they have with past outbreaks. One reason is due to advances in genome sequencing technology. The process used to take months, but Chinese scientists posted the genome of the virus publicly online only a few weeks into the outbreak.

“That piece of information, for us, is more important than getting a hold of the virus,” Kim says, “that’s all we need.” Inovio’s vaccines use modified DNA sequences delivered into human cells that trigger an immune response against specific pathogens.

Another new advance: mRNA vaccines. These vaccines, made from messenger RNA, are faster and cheaper to produce than traditional vaccines. Moderna will use an mRNA vaccine to target a protein on the coronavirus surface that will also activate the immune system.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-020-0282-0

Anyway I do agree type L is as they say a more 'virulent' strain though statistically both strains just like the common flu affect the elderly in much worse ways than the young. I still think at this stage COVID-19 will not require two separate vaccines. If we can vaccinate against COVID-19 type L, type S will have an even harder time infecting the body.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-06-20 at 11:12 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 10:38 AM   #778
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
I went a bit into the links provided above, on air masks.Some words of caution on some of what is beign said there.

While the data on infection rates amongst practical workers stands as it is, the claims on "having tested masks" lacks description how testing is being done in the lab , and methodology. While i may be accepting that a coarse filtering still is better than none (it will not block free virusses, but particles on which virusses for the most sit attached to them) , a finer filter of course is always better, and, and this is my main argument, it is about the fit of masks on the face. Surgical masks never seal mouth and nose against air streams at the rims of the mask completely, when the shape and material are such that they do not reliably follow the contours of skin and face. This imo is a very huge disadvantage of simple surgical masks used for the purpose of shielding you against breathing in virusses from the environment. The better alternative thus always is to use so-called respiratory masks which usally have a hardframe with soft silicon lips at the rims that allow the user to seal off nose and mouth more reliably from the environment, also, these masks apply more pressure by more solid rubber bands to keep the mask in place.

Where you still can get your hands on masks, if you have the choice always prefer respiratory masks, or half-frame masks as they are called over here.

Do not use a mask filter until it is soaking with moisture. A wet filter provides no protection anymore, even helps to distribute virusses back into the environment. You want FFP3 standard, not FFP2 filter. P2 does not filter free-floating virusses out.
Thank you Sky for your mask data on what works. I was given a cheap one at the VA to protect others from my cough, but it was difficult to put on and felt horrible after just a few minutes. I even had it on upside down (my first mask) then I couldn't hardly breathe with it on and a male nurse came along and told me to pull it up over my nose due to I had it under my nose. So then the doctor came in to see me with a mask on and it was a nice one with one of those relief valves on the side. I could hardly understand a word he said though.

I will take your advice and find the right mask, but I can't imagine a world where we will all have to wear one.

I think sporting events will be the next casualty of Covid-19 and then of course anything with a long line like movie theaters
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 11:39 AM   #779
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Do not use a mask filter until it is soaking with moisture. A wet filter provides no protection anymore, even helps to distribute virusses back into the environment.

The way I sweat here in Florida I probably shouldn't bother with a mask as it would be soaking wet within a short time frame anyway.
Old 03-06-20, 12:49 PM   #780
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I guess my chances for getting infected is very little but not unlikely.

This has to do with my living.

I can't have it when it's to crowded.

If there's more than 2-3 people together I walk away and stay about 10-15 meters from them. As today when I stood and waited for the bus. First it was 2 person there..then there came 3 more...and I walked away.

Home I am mostly for myself it does happen I have a chat with some of my neighbours.

Try to do my shopping, when it's not so many in the store

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan