SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-20, 12:14 PM   #1516
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

After watching the breaking news this morning all I can gleam from the news is that we should "Print more money to throw at the problem"

But I say, "Print more toilet paper" to use on the problem
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 12:23 PM   #1517
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
After watching the breaking news this morning all I can gleam from the news is that we should "Print more money to throw at the problem"

But I say, "Print more toilet paper" to use on the problem
YES.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 12:23 PM   #1518
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Toilet paper and money.. you will soon use one in exchange of the other

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 12:38 PM   #1519
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

What do we know and are we using our personal standpoints in our discussion of this Corona virus and the pandemic ?

The reason this question is some of my friends fully support what some of our Danish and Swedish newspaper have postet and they support what other have posted.

Do we have enough knowledge on health and medicin, so we as single person can say...no it's wrong/yes it's correct ?

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 12:43 PM   #1520
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I see a possiblity for a new single use product here. Working out the chance there may be a down side.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 01:15 PM   #1521
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
I see a possiblity for a new single use product here. Working out the chance there may be a down side.
As said before, the success will be instantly at hand.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 01:24 PM   #1522
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Man, ain't that truth. You just scored 10 out of 10 on predicting the future.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 01:26 PM   #1523
STEED
Lucky Jack

Icon12

As the food runs out there is...

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 03-19-20, 03:01 PM   #1524
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Johnson said the UK could turn the course in 12 weeks, that is 84 days.

Lets do some math. There are two claims out there:
1. the replication speed of the virus is a doubling every 3 days,

2. and a multiplication by a factor of 10 every 12-13 days.

Lets assume there are already 1000 infections. Take this as a base number.

In case 1, a doubling every 3 days. Its then 2000 after 3 days, 4000 after 6 days, 8000 after 9 days, 16000 after 12 days, 32.000 after 15 days, 64000 after 18 days, 128K after 21, 256K after 24, 512k after 27, 1024K after 30, 2028K after 33, 4048K after 36, 8096 after 39, and now rounded: 16200K after 42, 32400K after 45, and 64400K after 48.

This does not mean than all these people are ill simultaneously, its the number of people who caught the infection, the average duration of the illness seems to be around 2-3 weeks, so the numbers get reduced again, people have immunity then and the virus finds it more dfifficult to spread at its former pace, so then the curve starts to flatten out after a certain time. Still. The shadow of big numbers and logarithmics should be obvious.

In case 2, 10x every 12 days, it looks like this: 10.000 in 12 days, 100K in 24 days, 1 million in 36 days, 10 million in 48 days. It runs slower, but still: it runs up and away. the same limitations to the pace of the virus reproduction rate apply as explained above.

Its just numbers gymnastics, I ignore some factors I know, and necessarily leave out factors that I certainly do not know of. But it helps to visualise what a fearsome foe we are up against.

Johnson'S 12 weeks claim may prove to become the longest 12 weeks of our lives. He spoke for the UK, but the math is not that much different for other countries.

Nobody mentions Africa that much. Culturally and regarding health system structures, they are not set up in any way to cope with this. I expect to see nothing else but apocalyptic numbers and pictures from there.
Old 03-19-20, 03:16 PM   #1525
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

I've had to conclude that the passing generation who knew how to co-operate and face a crisis with stoicism and decency have been followed by a different beed entirely. Not all, of course but very, very many... to see such selfishness everywhere now just astonishes me

And these people are often using their economic advantage to elbow others aside: huge cars in which to hoard their booty and wads of cash enabling them to buy up extra freezers in which to store the stuff. Yes, I got this today from a friend's wife who works at a local white goods store... all the freezers have suddenly sold out!

These are the kind of people who would push women and kids out of the lifeboats and it makes me ashamed to think they're my own countrymen
Old 03-19-20, 03:25 PM   #1526
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I've had to conclude that the passing generation who knew how to co-operate and face a crisis with stoicism and decency have been followed by a different beed entirely. Not all, of course but very, very many... to see such selfishness everywhere now just astonishes me

And these people are often using their economic advantage to elbow others aside: huge cars in which to hoard their booty and wads of cash enabling them to buy up extra freezers in which to store the stuff. Yes, I got this today from a friend's wife who works at a local white goods store... all the freezers have suddenly sold out!

These are the kind of people who would push women and kids out of the lifeboats and it makes me ashamed to think they're my own countrymen
Its hunters in the jungle, and while we all have that in our genes and it is instinct driven, it is sharpened by cultural conditioning (because culture is an extension of our naturalistic origin, in the end: whether it be as a compensaioin for deficits in our nature, or an extension of it), which tells us somethign about our cultures we are so proud of, maybe.

But then there is also stories that are of the opposite quality. For exmaple I red today abiout a mother with a child whose shelkves and ridge were almost empty, and she was desparte and send an appeal while beign in tears via some social emdia - and shor time later foreign people had manged to get her flat filled up.

And then there are thiose who are willing to help, but do not think abiout how and thus do more harm than good. People with a social lfie that is very active wanti8ng to care for the elderly by doing shopping for them. But it is exactly ths ekind of people that should NOT approach the elderly,m becasue they have a much igher risk of carrying the vorus and not knowing it, due to their socially active lives.

IUn these times, the socially best bthing many of us can do is to not add to the workload of those who must and do and want to work the imortant work, anbd to stay in self isolation. Keep in contact via the many ways of communication modenr tehcnology has given us. For exmaple it really lights my mum's candle that we do not just talk on phone daily, but use Google Duo so that she can see me. It seems to be a minor thing only, but in fact it makes such a huge difference! Maybe not for yourself, if you are like that. But for the other.

P.S. The virus lives on plastic and steel for 3 days, so if you shop for the llederly, clean surfaces of boxes and glasses with a virus-killing fluid oir swipe before leavong thign son their doorstep, also clean the handles of the box you carry it in, and then tell them they also should clean it again. Smear infections are possble, and a risk that shgoud not be ignroed. That includes the surface of fruits and vegetable!!!!!! I do not understand why this is always not mentioned by nobody. Its not as if the skin of an apple has some anti-viral agens in it, no?!
Old 03-19-20, 03:28 PM   #1527
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

If this is war

Then this is the first war that everyone had to stay home from and not go to work to support the troops.

In this war it is the medical staff's lives are on the line with over 2,600 cases of covid-19 in Italy being the health care workers.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 03:36 PM   #1528
Skybird
Soaring

So many of the underpaid small jobs as well that got ignored before, anbd suddenly get praised while we find ourselves depending on them. In two year sor so, the medical side of this all may be under kind of control, and then we should force employers to stick to these cheap words of today and rais etheir saleries massively. A job that is essential, is essential. It does not matter whether you need a diploma for it or not, need to study for it or not. If the job is needed, its an essential job, period. if its not necessarily needed, then its not essential.

Anyhow, this is Munich, Thursday.

How many idiots can you count? I believe I count over 50. We should collect them and hand them over to the labs as voluntaries for the vaccine tests.
Old 03-19-20, 04:10 PM   #1529
Skybird
Soaring

Reports say that Merkel and the minister presidents of the states want to discuss on Sunday on curfews.

Mor cities today got sick of it and decided they do not want to wait that long and jumped off and ordered limited curfews. For a few days.

Its unbelievable. They take themselves all the time in the world.
Old 03-19-20, 04:12 PM   #1530
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Coronavirus: Minister says there 'isn't a shortage of food' because of COVID-19 pandemic

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...demic-11960178
BS, every shop around here has been picked clean apart from easter eggs and booze and that will be next as now bottled water has now been targetted by these bastards who panic buy. I say test the vaccine on them or shoot them my patience is now at a end.

Last edited by STEED; 03-19-20 at 04:28 PM.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan