SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-27-09, 11:41 AM   #196
heidelbergensis
Watch

Downloads: 118
Uploads: 2

....Yes, maybe a post a bit overdone .... That I wanted to express was a claim for the possibility of further updates of OMEGU without the mod, understanding that maybe it is impossible to adapt it to any of the infinite possibilities for aspect ratios, or simply that it would need too much work to cover all and every particular case....

Maybe even just the opposite would be right; the "official" version having the new interface, and an option simply removing it if needed.

Or I could simply accept at the end of the day to use 1024 X 768 (Yeck!) only for having this wonderful interfaz that deserves to be in SH5 as stock ....
heidelbergensis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 12:50 PM   #197
auricom
Mate

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Nice1! installed 3.0 -- works great

Gonna try to get the hang of it this weekend, then I think I will finally be ready to tackle the dreaded 'full real'
auricom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 02:42 PM   #198
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidelbergensis View Post
....That I wanted to express was a claim for the possibility of further updates of OMEGU without the mod.
This will not be possible. The next version on OMEGU ( v300 ) has been completed and I'm currently in the process of doing the "paper work" ( Readme ). At this point karamazovnew outstanding work is a part of OMEGU.

Last edited by lurker_hlb3; 11-28-09 at 08:10 AM.
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 06:26 AM   #199
heidelbergensis
Watch

1024 x 768 then.....OK.. No problem.
Old 11-28-09, 10:13 AM   #200
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

@Auricom: manual firing is the cream of the game. Have fun

@Looney: There are 2 sets of marks. AP_Marks.tga contains the normal marks that lit up at night. A few posts back I explained how to configure them (how to change their brightness and color). AP_PreciseMarks.tga contains the more detailed marks that you see on the AOBF. It's simpler in that the color you put in the RGB channel is the color you'll see all the time in game. The marks themselves are contained in the Alpha Channel. What is black is transparent and what is white shows up on the screen. If this explanation and looking my files doesn't clear it up I suggest you pick up a few tutorials of Photoshop. To make those buttons easier to see you should work with Contrast and Levels. It's not an exact science. Play around with the values until you like the result. Not sure what you mean by "sliding part of boxes". The handles? The speed? How much they slide into view?

@Heidelberg: I understand and agree with what you said the first time. The fix will not take much space and will only replace a few graphic files and a few lines in the menu_1024.ini file.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 12:06 PM   #201
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
Play around with the values until you like the result. Not sure what you mean by "sliding part of boxes". The handles? The speed? How much they slide into view?
How much they slide into the view.. allthough I seem to have worse problems.. I think my HD is going to quit on me soon so i will figure the mod out ltr
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 12:33 PM   #202
heidelbergensis
Watch

Well, Karamazov....all that I can say is that you are not only a genius but also a gentleman. Thanks a lot.

And if it´s too difficult, please don´t worry...I already concluded that is better to play low res with your firing computer that higher res without it.
Old 11-29-09, 09:21 AM   #203
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by looney View Post
How much they slide into the view.. allthough I seem to have worse problems..
The handle items will always move their parent left or right by a certain amount. Once I parented the handles by mistake to the main screen and it pushed my entire interface offscreen . The amount of movement is equal to parent's width. The direction of movement depends (i guess) on which side the handle sits. But if you change the parent width you'll also screw up all the dials. So unless you make a new panel from scratch, there's no solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidelbergensis View Post
Well, Karamazov....all that I can say is that you are not only a genius but also a gentleman. Thanks a lot.
I don't consider myself to be a gentleman, but thank you
Old 11-30-09, 01:19 PM   #204
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Back to work. I've transformed the scope marks to work as miliradians. They were made with excel formulas and done to a less than 1 pixel precision at 1600x1200 resolution. Just to recap, a ship of a height of 10 meters at a range of 1000 meters will span 0.572938698 degrees vertical. Tangent(0.572938698)=0.01. Since the tangent function is almost linear at low angles and the marks only span around 11 degrees at 1.5X zoom, a linear formula can be used based on that value:

Quote:
by Hitman
The reticle is calibrated for low power (1.5x zoom). With that zoom, count the number of marks the target covers horizontally or vertically (mast), and use following formula.

Estimated target heigth(or length) / scale x 100 = Distance

Example: A destroyer with a 25 metres mast covers 10 marks in the vertical scale.

25/10 x 100 = 250 metres

If you were using high power (6x zoom) you would need to multiply the result by 4. Thus the distance would be 1000 metres.
Here's a test at 1024/768 (it is identical to any other resolution). The tanker in the image is 28 meters high, 190 m long, is at 1000m (precisely) and has an aob of perfect 90 degrees.

And here's something weird. This is the Bismark with a mast of 57 and a length of 251. This was made at 1920x1080, but it's the same for all resolutions. Notice that the heigth is a correct 5.7 milirads.:

But the length should've been 25.1 milirads long. But it's not. Same marks, same formula. At first I thought my formula needed to change for length marks. And indeed, the formula for half angle tangent (required for the simmetry of length around the Lock position) leads to a value of 0.572953021 and not 0.572938698 but the error is laughable 0.0000143229. Conclusion? The Bismark in game has a wrong length of almost 280 meters. How many ships have wrong values I have no idea. So I hope that someone will start making a TMT mod for SH4 as it's badly needed.

Last edited by karamazovnew; 11-30-09 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 02:47 PM   #205
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

Very nice precission, I told you that something weird was going on with ship dimensions

Anyway, why didn't you use the same reticle style as the one I sent you?

Mine is positively one installed in a real german Uboat periscope, while yours -the one that can be seen frequently in period videos- is 99% sure a fake added while filming.
Old 11-30-09, 03:09 PM   #206
karamazovnew
The Old Man

You're right, I will. I wanted to do it myself from scratch because to be honest I wanted to understand the mechanics behind it. Since 2 people ended up with exactly the same thing (I did an overlap just now, even with a scaling issue it was still <1 pixel difference), at least we know that the marks are fine. Indeed there is something strange with the ships. I did some speed tests on the Bismark, at different AOB's, ranges. I used automatic formulas to get the length from the time of pass... It varied from 250m to 270m while the TDC showed no changes in the speed. I'd be damned if I can tell what's going on. I'll use the file you've sent me now that I'm 100% convinced that it's perfect. I'll also only use it with Excel formulas to remake the AOBF wheel. Do you have by any chance an AOBF wheel made for milirad marks?
Old 11-30-09, 03:25 PM   #207
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Do you have by any chance an AOBF wheel made for milirad marks?
Nope sorry, but isn't the only difference the point where you must read to get the result?
Old 11-30-09, 03:29 PM   #208
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Actually I was hoping for just an outer circle that doesn't have this problem:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=156
Old 12-01-09, 06:33 PM   #209
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
I did some speed tests on the Bismark, at different AOB's, ranges. I used automatic formulas to get the length from the time of pass... It varied from 250m to 270m while the TDC showed no changes in the speed. I'd be damned if I can tell what's going on.
Did the ships appear longer, the further the AOB was from 90 degrees?
Old 12-01-09, 08:52 PM   #210
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
Did the ships appear longer, the further the AOB was from 90 degrees?
I didn't notice that. I only applied the fixed wire method for a ship of known speed to extrapolate it's length. But the ships do seem to be wider than in SH3. There I could estimate the AOB visually within 10 degrees accuracy. Here however... .