SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-24, 11:03 PM   #1756
Brooksie
Swabbie

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter Commander Problem

I've followed all the steps for how to install the onealex mod for SH3. And I'm right at the end where I'm trying to get into silent hunter commander, but I can't. When I attempt to launch it, it of course prompts me to run it as admin. I do so. Then it loads up, but doesn't appear on my screen. However, I see it in the taskbar. And when I hover over it with the mouse, it's just all white. I cannot enlarge it or move it or anything. Due to this, I'm unable to use the mod or play the game. I've got no idea what to do.

Skipper Brooksie
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"
Brooksie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-24, 12:32 AM   #1757
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default Dumb question here

Dumb questions here .... only because I really can't think of anything else and sorry about that, but did you set up a save game folder in your Doc Folder and did you point your install to it. If you did, then I don't know. I guess I would delete that save game folder and the rebuild it by ... starting SH3 via the SH3.exe in your game folder, let it run till you see the "options", and while your there set the Language to German (setting the language is NOT causing your issue, but you might as well set it while your there). Exit out. Start SH3 via the Cmdr.exe (Commander). You should get an explorer window asking you you select your install. You've rebuilt your Save Game Folder so if that was messed up, it's fixed. Make sure all your importation .exe's (SH3.exe, Cmdr.exe and JSGME.exe) are set to " Run as Administrator" and set to "Win 7 compatabilly." this is what I would try . If I was unsucessful, then I myself would start from scratch.

INSTALLATION OF ONEALEX
1. Download ONEALEX 1.xx and UnZip the SH3 Folder to your choice of location (not in Program Files).
2. Open the SH3 folder and locate these 3 executables, the SH3.exe, Cmdr.exe (located in the SH3 Commander’s English Folder) and the JSGME.exe. Change each executable, by right clicking and selecting their Properties, to WIN7 compatibly / and run as ADMIN. (this is very important)
3. Start the game via the SH3.exe, (not SH3 Commander) to set a SAVE FOLDER. (if you don’t already have a SAVE FOLDER from a previous installation, this will create one).
4. Set game OPTIONS to GERMAN LANGUAGE (or you will have no voices).
5. Exit game.
6. Add Mods you want from SH3 MODS Folder by activating them via JSGME.
7. I place a Cmdr Shortcut on my desktop, by R-click Cmdr.exe, select "PIN TO TASKBAR" or PIN TO START . (Totally Un-Necessary, I do this for my convenience, to start the game easier)
8. I place a JSGME Shortcut on my desktop, by R-click JSGME.exe, select "PIN TO TASKBAR" or PIN TO START . (Totally Un-Necessary, I do this for my convenience, to adjust the game add-in mods easier)
9. Set OPTIONS in SH3 Cmdr. to your liking.
10. Setup Career & Play, via SH3 Commander

hope this helps
Old 05-06-24, 01:58 AM   #1758
Brooksie
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar View Post
Dumb questions here .... only because I really can't think of anything else and sorry about that, but did you set up a save game folder in your Doc Folder and did you point your install to it. If you did, then I don't know. I guess I would delete that save game folder and the rebuild it by ... starting SH3 via the SH3.exe in your game folder, let it run till you see the "options", and while your there set the Language to German (setting the language is NOT causing your issue, but you might as well set it while your there). Exit out. Start SH3 via the Cmdr.exe (Commander). You should get an explorer window asking you you select your install. You've rebuilt your Save Game Folder so if that was messed up, it's fixed. Make sure all your importation .exe's (SH3.exe, Cmdr.exe and JSGME.exe) are set to " Run as Administrator" and set to "Win 7 compatabilly." this is what I would try . If I was unsucessful, then I myself would start from scratch.

INSTALLATION OF ONEALEX
1. Download ONEALEX 1.xx and UnZip the SH3 Folder to your choice of location (not in Program Files).
2. Open the SH3 folder and locate these 3 executables, the SH3.exe, Cmdr.exe (located in the SH3 Commander’s English Folder) and the JSGME.exe. Change each executable, by right clicking and selecting their Properties, to WIN7 compatibly / and run as ADMIN. (this is very important)
3. Start the game via the SH3.exe, (not SH3 Commander) to set a SAVE FOLDER. (if you don’t already have a SAVE FOLDER from a previous installation, this will create one).
5. Exit game.
7. I place a Cmdr Shortcut on my desktop, by R-click Cmdr.exe, select "PIN TO TASKBAR" or PIN TO START . (Totally Un-Necessary, I do this for my convenience, to start the game easier)
8. I place a JSGME Shortcut on my desktop, by R-click JSGME.exe, select "PIN TO TASKBAR" or PIN TO START . (Totally Un-Necessary, I do this for my convenience, to adjust the game add-in mods easier)

hope this helps
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the assistance. I have done the following...

-I watched the install tutorial 100% through, twice.
-Restarted my computer every time it didn't work.
-Deleted all anti-virus software from my PC.
-Tried different compatibility modes for all three executables (Windows Vista and Windows XP2).
-Read the install manual from the discord many times.
-Checked drivers, checked for viruses, checked for updates, checked for corrupt files. Fixed any problems that I encountered.
-Watched "how-to" videos on how to fix applications running in the taskbar not showing on display.
-Done a dozen checks for compatibility and admin priv for all three main executables to ensure they're correct.
-Uninstalled and reinstalled +6 times, followed instructions, using different file extractors for some of them.
-Followed the instructions to a tee each time for installation.
-Set up the save game folder in documents after loading into a fresh install of SH3 (not the Steam version but one found in the mod).
-Changed appropriate settings in SH3 to meet requirements for the mod.
-Set up JSGME where there were no overlapping errors for mods.
-Created shortcuts onto my desktop for the main executables.
-Drank half a dozen beers in anger/frustration.

I never get to the point where I see the Explorer window. I can't even get Silent Hunter Commander to display itself on my main screen. Even though it's running (not frozen I checked task manager). All I can do is hover over it on the taskbar with my mouse and see a blank, white page. The same goes for when I try Alt+Tab.

I'm a bit confused. What do you mean by "Did you point your install to it." Are you referring to the JSGME mod loader when it asks me to identify which folder sh3.exe is located in? If so, yes. I've done this correctly. Otherwise, I don't know what you mean. I dropped the GWX Onealex folder in the root C: drive. As shown in the image attached to this post. I've also attached another image of what I'm talking about with the Silent Hunter Commander executable. I have never, in SH3 or SH4 been able to successfully mod the game. This is always how it goes and every single time, it kills me. Something is wrong and I can never find out what. I eagerly await a reply from anyone who has an idea, thank you.

Skipper Brooksie
Old 05-06-24, 02:01 AM   #1759
Brooksie
Swabbie

Quote:

INSTALLATION OF ONEALEX
5. Exit game.

hope this helps
Screenshots attached...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Folder screen shot.jpg (83.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Silent Hunter Commander.jpg (7.4 KB, 7 views)

Skipper Brooksie
Old 05-06-24, 12:48 PM   #1760
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default Re

you mentioned STEAM. did you completely delete all the STEAM Folders including the SAVE GAME FOLDER created by your STEAM install ? It is highly recomended that you remove ALL files left over from a previous install before a new installation of OneAlex or any Super Mod installation as that goes. The pic posted was not clear enough for me to see.
Old 05-06-24, 01:44 PM   #1761
Brooksie
Swabbie

Quote:
you mentioned STEAM. did you completely delete all the STEAM Folders including the SAVE GAME FOLDER created by your STEAM install ? It is highly recomended that you remove ALL files left over from a previous install before a new installation of OneAlex or any Super Mod installation as that goes. The pic posted was not clear enough for me to see.
Yes, I uninstalled SH3 through Steam. Then I deleted the folder in the directory file where Steam is located. After that, I checked the documents and found no saved folders. I think that having multiple screens set up may be a part of my problem. I will try the installation of the mod again while only using one screen.

Skipper Brooksie