SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-16-09, 08:12 AM   #1
Venatore
Admiral

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 0
In Enemy Hands ..... CRAP!!

Why do they continue to make crap U-boat movies. I've never seen this and I don't think I ever will.

At the height of Hitler's infamous U-boat war, the crew of the U.S.S. Swordfish were heading home after months at sea. They never made it. Now prisoners of war aboard U-boat 429, a small group of American survivors will find their loyalties put to the ultimate test when they're forced to join their German captors to fight for their very lives.

Das Boot continues to be the leader with regards to U-boat movies.
Venatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 08:27 AM   #2
Zilch
Torpedoman

Downloads: 35

Is it painful to watch? Probably. Am I going to watch it anyway, just to watch submarines blow things up? Very likely. I'm sure they knew this when the movie was made.

Zilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 01:26 PM   #3
cawimmer430
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3

I saw this movie many years. It's not good at all.

I don't want to spoil anything so I won't say anything regarding the plot. On the other hand it is not as bad as U-571. Das Boot continues to be the benchmark - and will probably always be (since nobody seems to want to make good U-Boat movies anymore!).
cawimmer430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 01:48 PM   #4
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

This thread belongs to the books, movies, etc. forum. Moving it....
Old 11-16-09, 03:58 PM   #5
Radio
Planesman

Downloads: 339
As a small kid I saw this film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050356/ , does anybody remember i? IIRC it is based on a true story and seemed realistic to me back then. Haven't seen it for some time, though, so I could be wrong about the realism

edit, here the trailer on youtube

And of course the Clark Gable classic: Run Silent, Run Deep Quite realistic imho.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 12:15 AM   #6
Rapt0r56
Commodore

Downloads: 391

Quote:
As a small kid I saw this film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050356/ , does anybody remember i? IIRC it is based on a true story and seemed realistic to me back then. Haven't seen it for some time, though, so I could be wrong about the realism
I have the DVD of this, in Germany it's called "Duell im Atlantik", this film
is well done for the year 1957, nice effects... But the realsim i don't take so seriously there. It's much better than any U-Boat film come to release today...

Quote:
In Enemy Hands ..... CRAP!!
You've got it, seen this movie on Tv a few weeks ago... I really don't like those Hollywood movies, U-571 too. unrealistic, boring, and not accurate enough. You only need to listen too the crew of the German boat talking with each other. Even worse than in U-571
“The sea is everything. It covers seven tenths of the terrestrial globe. Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the Living Infinite. ” ― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea
My modifications for Ubisoft's SHIII can currently be found in Maik's comprehensive archives found via the Silent Hunter 3 Tab on his website: https://maikhaas.synology.me/joomla/index.php?lang=de/
Rapt0r56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-09, 09:21 AM   #7
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Yes, I continually am amazed that the true tales of WWII veterans are not dramatic/horrific enough for Holllywood producers, they always have to add some moronic story on top eg In enemy hands, Below, U571.

Perhaps the worst example of this was Titanic a very dramatic incident in real life, which had that whole let's run around the ship chased by a moustachioed villan crap layered on top. A Night to Remember is still the definitive Titanic film as it sticks to the facts.

And don't even get me started on the steaming turdfest that was Pearl Harbor!!
Old 03-17-10, 01:36 AM   #8
john123
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

"Yes, I continually am amazed that the true tales of WWII veterans are not dramatic/horrific enough for Holllywood producers"
i totally agree
Old 03-17-10, 11:33 AM   #9
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Hmm.... on the one hand, general consensus seems to be that this movie is crap.

On the other hand, Thomas Kretschmann is way hot.

I haz a dilemma.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-12, 10:20 AM   #10
AndreasT
A-ganger

Downloads: 147

As far as I am concerned nearly all war movies are crap. All this political hero crap. I grew up in South Africa in an area where most people where of British decent and me oh gosh am of German Decent. We used to watch war movies as kids. The Allies are always such incredible fighters the Germans are always incredible stupid and incapable. One brit with his machine gun wipes out a whole German company running to there deaths.
AndreasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-12, 11:09 AM   #11
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasT View Post
As far as I am concerned nearly all war movies are crap. All this political hero crap. I grew up in South Africa in an area where most people where of British decent and me oh gosh am of German Decent. We used to watch war movies as kids. The Allies are always such incredible fighters the Germans are always incredible stupid and incapable. One brit with his machine gun wipes out a whole German company running to there deaths.
Plenty of good war movies out there that treat all sides equally.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-12, 11:12 AM   #12
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Wow, does this win the necro prize?

Yeah, there's a thing that says the winner writes the history, couple that with the script-writers' poetic licence and you've got a bunch of unrealistic films. Not all, just the ones bought by networks to play on lazy sunday afternoons.