SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-23-15, 06:43 PM   #1
AllegedBlackman
Nub

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default (Relatively) new player looking for SH4 mod suggestions

Hello all,

I played SH3 and SH4 very briefly a year or so ago, and I have since decided to return to the series, specifically SH4. I have the base game as well as the U-Boat expansion, so I am running v1.5. I would like some suggestions as to which mods I should use. I am a beginner in the sense that I like for gameplay to be simple, but not too simple. I don't want to be able to point and click and have my torpedo hit 100% of the time, but I don't want to have to do several calculations (at least not right now). What are some helpful mods that improve overall gameplay but still keep things fun and relatively simple?

I know to start with JGSME. Also, what are some mods that are a must, meaning almost everyone, regardless of skill and experience, uses? What are some of your favorite UI mods? Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks.
AllegedBlackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-15, 06:53 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > AllegedBlackman
You Will Always Find Someone Here To Help You
New To Silent Hunter <> Need Help <> Click On My Thread Link.
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Treat Yourself To The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod <> SH5 The Dawn Of A New Beginning
The Wolves Of Steel > Adds The Missing Target Identify Icon Back > Wind & Smoke addon Mod
Post #24 Shaefer’s Season 2 Let's Play Silent Hunter 5 YouTube Videos
Silent Hunter III from 2005 bring your game play to 2015 with the
LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-15, 07:36 PM   #3
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Welcome to the Subsim Forums, AllegedBlackman.

Since you're basically just starting out, I would advice you keep things simple.
There are so many mods available for SH4 v1.5 that you can easily get confused. There are mods for just the vanilla version (just v1.5), mods for TMO, mods for RFB, mods for FORTS so forth and so on.

Start with what you already have, maybe add GFO and go from there. As you gain some confidence start branching out and see what you like and don't like. And of course, you will have questions and in these forums there many people who are always more than willing to help you out.

So you're in the right place, Good Luck and Good Hunting.......

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-15, 08:10 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Hi and welcome aboard!

The first thing to consider before looking at mods is exactly what you want from the game. Do you want to play with U-boats or with US Fleet Boats? If the former then you need Operation Monsun, which gives an SH3-like experience to your U-boat campaign. If you decide on that then there are several add-ons that go with it. If it's fleet boats then cdrsubron7's advice is spot-on. GFO fixes most of the bugs in SH4 while still leaving you playing the stock game.

If you want to try both the first thing you need is Multi-SH4. This little program lets you run several different games at the same time, making it easy to run both a U-boat and a Fleet Boat campaign, or try any or all of the Pacific campaigns against each other. No matter what you do Multi-SH4 is a good thing to have.

Any more than that can wait until you've decided what you want.
Old 10-24-15, 01:34 PM   #5
scubamatt
Mate

I'm running TMO (Trigger Maru Overhauled) and the RSRDC (Run Silent Run Deep Campaign) mods, plus EZPlot 2.0 (a universal mod, to return the map plotting to its simplest and easiest form). This is pretty much the old TMO 'with training wheels', and plenty of fun/challenge for me.

TMO is one of the two 'mega mods' that alters a whole bunch of things and makes the game feel more realistic, and the RSRDC also improves this.

However, you can still run TMO on Easy or Normal settings, which will let you use the Automatic TDC and such, or you can dial the difficulty up and do everything the hard way.
scubamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-15, 01:56 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

AllegedBlackman!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-15, 04:11 PM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Alleged, I have to just repeat. I'd play the game stock or just Game Fixes Only Supermod at first. Don't worry about manual targeting. Don't worry about unlimited fuel/unlimited battery, turn 'em both on. What you need is enough playing time to get the basic game controls automatic, some basic approach and evasion stategy working and some shooting torpedoes without worrying too much if they're set right.

If you're not having fun ratchet back the difficulty until you're comfortable. Then add difficulty as you can handle it without terminal frustration.

The fun meter is your guide. If you're not having fun change something.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-15, 09:10 PM   #8
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Welcome aboard, AllegedBlackman!

If you aren't familiar with this game, or subsims generally, starting simple is probably the best thing. Don't try to master everything in a day. This especially applies to manual targeting.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-15, 09:47 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

As already stated, start at an easy/comfortable level and up the difficulty level as you gain proficiency.

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-15, 03:21 PM   #10
AllegedBlackman
Nub

Thanks everyone!
AllegedBlackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, mod suggestions