SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-23-12, 06:21 PM   #1
Shkval
Planesman

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Default I keep forgeting...

Does PK updates AOB as target approaches and I fiddle with range and bearing... i.e. can I set it once at the beginning (if I know the course of a target and the proper formula for getting AOB... and I do) and forget about it? Can my sub move or it has to be stationary... for PK to update it properly? I had a few terrible misses ...
Old 11-23-12, 06:40 PM   #2
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

PK does update AOB. Errors in speed or range will make tweaking AOB necessary though. You cannot forget it. You can maneuver your sub and the PK will keep up with you. Errors will compound though. If you're only a few degrees off when you set it initially it can put you 40 degrees and 2000 meters off when you and the target reach firing position.
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 10:40 PM   #3
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkval View Post
... can I set it once at the beginning (if I know the course of a target and the proper formula for getting AOB... and I do) and forget about it? Can my sub move or it has to be stationary... for PK to update it properly? I had a few terrible misses ...
SilentPrey is correct. If you had dead on estimates of target speed, AoB, range and bearing, and the target held course, (and those are big ifs), you could skip further inputs of data, but it is unrealistic to think a single observation will provide a good firing solution. There is no need to stand still though; the TDC receives info from your gyro-compass and pit log, so your movements are factored into the solution.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-12, 05:23 AM   #4
Shkval
Planesman

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

The way I plot an attack is: three bearings method for course (visual or hydrophone, depends of a situation, convoy or a single ship), or shadowing it for 10-15 minutes and let my watchman do 2 or three estimates of range and bearing, in case of a convoy sending contact report (estimates course and speed), then overtaking (if necessary in both cases), then calculating and setting the T course of my sub and getting closer, stop, measure speed (visual, length of a ship x 1.943 / time to pass my cross sight), measuring range and bearing, calculating AOB, turning ON the PK and wait for him to come to my 0 degrees... and fire (torpedoes properties are set long time ago).

I think I have made one error, if you touch range&bearing you MUST adjust AOB, otherwise the PK will take the last old measurement (10 or 15 minutes ago) and therefore I will miss... is this the point? Also I saw in some older tutorial on youtube that you have to click AOB's "send to TDC" button twice?? Is this some old bug, and is it corrected in TMO + RSRDC + OTC??

I'm doing this all because my map updates are "OFF".

Last edited by Shkval; 11-26-12 at 05:35 AM.
Shkval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-12, 03:14 AM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkval View Post
Also I saw in some older tutorial on youtube that you have to click AOB's "send to TDC" button twice?? Is this some old bug, and is it corrected in TMO + RSRDC + OTC??
About hitting the button twice; Capn Scurvy figured this out awhile ago. IIRC, the second press causes the information displayed on part of the TDC to change, but does not materially change the firing solution it calculates. IOW, you don't have to hit the button twice (though you can if you want to).

Why it works this way is anyone's guess.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote