SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-19, 06:07 AM   #6991
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1795
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Shame they only gave you a pea shooter to play with. A bushmaster like that comes a up a bit short against a 40mm Bofur on a Tambor from 30 years earlier let alone her deck gun with a trained crew. Should have joined the Navy like I did.

On a deck gun there is a sight setter (puts in sight angle and deflection*also called lead angle*) the trainer turns the weapon to target, the pointer does as well. There is also an officer up higher on the bridge looking down range with optics and calling out adjustments just like ground pounders do. The men on the weapon do not need to see a target they do need to listen to the officer as he tells them wear to aim. This is why following orders is so important.

This little gem will illustrate it for you. Real life isn't a game and the weapons we had in ww2 were far better than some might wish to believe.

I get such a giggle out of this film ... science is king and thank you Archimedes.
Ya, tell me all about ww2. My Grand dad was a plank owner on the USS Grenadier. He was alos the pointer on the 3in deck gun. So why don't you wow me some more with your knowledge. And you might want to take back the "pea shooter ", comment. They M242 has well over twice the muzzle velocity firing APDS rounds than the Mark1 40mm Bofors. Same effective range and much higher armor penetration. As far as the range finders go. Just what kind of range finders do you think the average Jap merchant carried? And how well do you think the gunners where trained that road around on these merchants? And not all deck guns have sight setters. And some of the old obsolete weapons the Japs put on merchies I am sure didn't have them. I am sure that the IJN put their best on them LOL! And the questions are rhetorical so don't really care to here you answer. Oh, and I was in a Department of the Navy. The men's department.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 06:23 AM   #6992
bybyx
Ensign

Downloads: 942

Hello!!,
I just started on this mod and i noticed 3 things so far. The issues appear in training missions and campaign
1. Manually setting the range to a target does not work. If a try to input the range just to see how it goes with no target i can go from minimum to about 1240 or something. With a ship i can go from minimum to what i got from taking the range with the stadimeter. Let's say that i got a range of 1500 yards with the stadimeter then i lower the periscope and then i want to input manually a range of 3000 yards. I can not do that! I can only go 200 or 300 yards more than what i got with the stadimeter.

2. The target does not remains locked. I lock the target to do my job and after 3-4 seconds the lock is broken.

3. The target does not remains identified. I identified a Naka Light cruiser took mesurements and after 3 minutes i raised the periscope and i had to identify again the target.

Perhaps when the final product is released we will get a revamped UI? A high resolution one maybe? An optional HD pack would be great
bybyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 08:00 AM   #6993
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default Setting Range on TDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Hi all FOTRSU modders,
Any chance we will get the expanded range gauge from OTC 1.5 along with the Omnimeter in the next update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Last but not least Front Runner, I haven't "talked" with CapnScurvy lately about his OTC mod, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have an FotRSU version sitting not too far from his mouse-clicking finger tips, ready as an add-on later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bybyx View Post
Hello!!,
I just started on this mod and i noticed 3 things so far. The issues appear in training missions and campaign
1. Manually setting the range to a target does not work. If a try to input the range just to see how it goes with no target i can go from minimum to about 1240 or something. With a ship i can go from minimum to what i got from taking the range with the stadimeter. Let's say that i got a range of 1500 yards with the stadimeter then i lower the periscope and then i want to input manually a range of 3000 yards. I can not do that! I can only go 200 or 300 yards more than what i got with the stadimeter.

Perhaps when the final product is released we will get a revamped UI? A high resolution one maybe? An optional HD pack would be great

bybyx - I believe it's in the works!

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 11:58 AM   #6994
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Tokyo bay:

First port had a DD stuck half way in the dock. Later on it pulled itself out and came after me but only in reverse.

There was a Tone there everything seemed good on the ship but when I looked at the screws I saw this:

I have seen this on a few other classes of ship as well. The Tone had a submarine next to it and its screws were perfect in there texture but some surface ships are coming out checkerboard on the screws.

The net across the shallows is a nice way to keep us from making a short cut but bow on I took no damage from it. When I turned and scrapped it with my starboard side I took damage.

Second port farther up had a dd on land.

I still can not get rid of the HISSING sound upon taking damage. Even when the damage is repaired it just won't go away. Anyone else have this issue?
I've disabled the NCA_Tone.sim file to see... and I can confirm i'm matching just what your showing above... Taking a deeper look now...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Updated:
I enlarged the data/Textures/TNormal/tex/propeller.dds to 1024 x 1024 from 128 x 128 Will upload to area 51 soon.

Last edited by s7rikeback; 01-04-19 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Updated
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 12:56 PM   #6995
captnmike
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
Ya, tell me all about ww2. My Grand dad was a plank owner on the USS Grenadier. He was alos the pointer on the 3in deck gun. So why don't you wow me some more with your knowledge. And you might want to take back the "pea shooter ", comment. They M242 has well over twice the muzzle velocity firing APDS rounds than the Mark1 40mm Bofors. Same effective range and much higher armor penetration. As far as the range finders go. Just what kind of range finders do you think the average Jap merchant carried? And how well do you think the gunners where trained that road around on these merchants? And not all deck guns have sight setters. And some of the old obsolete weapons the Japs put on merchies I am sure didn't have them. I am sure that the IJN put their best on them LOL! And the questions are rhetorical so don't really care to here you answer. Oh, and I was in a Department of the Navy. The men's department.
JO313,
Thanks for submitting these great videos! Much appreciated!
captnmike
Old 01-04-19, 03:43 PM   #6996
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Why are there two player indicator marks and can they be removed altogether from the game?

Umark Removal [ Link ]
Old 01-04-19, 04:11 PM   #6997
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Umark Removal [ Link ]
Thank you s7rikeback.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 04:12 PM   #6998
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnmike View Post
Thanks for submitting these great videos! Much appreciated!
captnmike
You are welcome Captmike.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-04-19, 04:14 PM   #6999
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
I've disabled the NCA_Tone.sim file to see... and I can confirm i'm matching just what your showing above... Taking a deeper look now...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Updated:
I enlarged the data/Textures/TNormal/tex/propeller.dds to 1024 x 1024 from 128 x 128 Will upload to area 51 soon.

I will try to keep track of the ones I see the screw texture issue on. This is a really nice mod and I am having a lot of fun testing it out.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 01-04-19, 04:54 PM   #7000
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
I will try to keep track of the ones I see the screw texture issue on. This is a really nice mod and I am having a lot of fun testing it out.
Fingers crossed, you will not see many more, as most of the ship propellers normally use the same texture files within the texture folder.
Old 01-04-19, 04:56 PM   #7001
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Isn't it amazing how casually s7rikeback can say "increasing resolution of propeller textures." Thanks to the incredibly enhanced capabilities of our modern computers. In 2007, when this game first saw the light of day, that one adjustment would have crashed computers by the hundreds! We thought 4 GB of memory was stupendous then!

Yeah, just make the resolution for a propeller take up 64 times as much memory. Piece of cake! Today. We live in amazing times!

Stand by for propeller enhancement soon!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 05:09 PM   #7002
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Isn't it amazing how casually s7rikeback can say "increasing resolution of propeller textures." Thanks to the incredibly enhanced capabilities of our modern computers. In 2007, when this game first saw the light of day, that one adjustment would have crashed computers by the hundreds! We thought 4 GB of memory was stupendous then!

Yeah, just make the resolution for a propeller take up 64 times as much memory. Piece of cake! Today. We live in amazing times!

Stand by for propeller enhancement soon!
It took several tries to get the look i have now.. I kept doubling the file size until it had a better covering..

And, its not a stock issue either, another Maddy special from Fall of the Rising Sun 1.4 GE dated 31/01/2013.
Old 01-04-19, 05:13 PM   #7003
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
It took several tries to get the look i have now.. I kept doubling the file size until it had a better covering..

And, its not a stock issue either, another Maddy special from Fall of the Rising Sun 1.4 GE dated 31/01/2013.
From the days of trying to save DL times or load times.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 05:47 PM   #7004
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
From the days of trying to save DL times or load times.
Oh yes, Dial-up Internet access via 56K modem... once it connected...And that sound as they dialed in and connected...
Old 01-04-19, 05:56 PM   #7005
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i hate to break up the diving discussion, temporarily, and i thought i would share some interesting photos from the current release.
these were taken while on patrol off the SE coast of Japan.
nice moonlight shot...just prior to sending those ships to davy jones' locker.

and these are interesting shots of Mr. Umark.

KaleunMarco,

I've been testing the game for several hours due the list of issues listed very recently in this thread and so far I cannot replicate the problem you have highlighted above... I have removed the in-game Umark, and added several other versions from other modders. Tried all USN submarines to no avail. Even turned to the dark side of the war.
Do you have anyother mods installed ? If so, could you please list them..