Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-06, 02:50 AM   #1
Yak
Torpedoman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
SH1 too big for my screen...

Howdy, I re-installed my copy of SH1 Commanders Edition and worked out that the only reason it wouldn't run was because of the movies, and it has sound and everything an i din't need to mess around with that dos box thingy, just install into XP, only one problem.

The bottom of the screen is off screen so the bottom buttons are off the screen, you can move the mouse off the sightable area and get lucky with cllicking, but i don't know whats up.

Its on my laptop, so i can't simply readjust the screen i've tried all the options i can think of with windowing it ad limiting to 640x480 etc but to no avail. Its not a wide-screen screen or anything either.

Any ideas?

Cheers, luke
Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-06, 10:47 AM   #2
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

I run under XP/VDMS. With that configuration, I cannot think of anything for you to try.

However, if you use DOSBOX, there are more options in the INI file for handling the screen presentation. Also, I have found that 0.63 and 0.65 handle the screen somewhat differently. So, you might give DOSBOX a try.
Old 08-12-06, 09:03 PM   #3
Yak
Torpedoman

Whats VDMS? i've seen people mention it, dos box is one of those annoying utilities that the readme might as well be in chinese (and triple enigma encoded) for all the sense it makes so i cant get it to run anything.
Old 08-13-06, 06:08 AM   #4
Yak
Torpedoman

Well it seems it is my laptop is the problem, i plugged my lappy into my old bodgy 15" CRT and then fiddled with the screen dial and its fine.

So does anyone know of a way to do the same with my laptop's screen? It oesn't have any manual dials or anything like that, and as far as i can see no software mode for it, so are there any utils? I've never had this issue with any other game or program.

Bizarre...
Old 08-13-06, 09:09 AM   #5
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Theoretically, SH1 changes automatically your screen res to 640x480 when it starts...is that your problem? Your laptop crashes and does not allow SH1 to run the screen at 640x480? Some laptops have in the bios an option to allow extended screen in certain res modes (F.e. old Packard Bells), for others you should determined which graphics card you have and search drivers for them. If that fails, I'm afraid DOSBOX is your only option.
Old 08-13-06, 10:12 PM   #6
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

I have the opposite problem, the screen is too small.
I run sh1 with dos box and d-fend, all is working well, sound , mouse..with a desktop resolution of 1024x768.
i have to see if using a low resolution runs in full screen

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 07:03 AM   #7
Yak
Torpedoman

Well there are apparently this same issue with all SIS cards, which is what my laptop has. When i plugged my CRT monitor into it and jiggered with the screen dimentions on the monitor and it was fine.

I can't get the drivers in the link to work, so my only options are either play with the bottom of my screen out of site or bring my CRT monitor out to play with that...
Old 08-15-06, 12:33 PM   #8
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

finally i run sh1 with a decent screen size , i change the resolution of the desktop to 800x600, the minimum for my xp .

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote