SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-19, 02:24 AM   #1
Noobicum4Ever
Torpedoman

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Default It is the time for the "ULTRAMOD"?

Two or three weeks have passed since I was registered on this forum. I found support and some amazing mods. Thanks to clear details and support, I managed to install them.

From my little experience, I noticed that there is a problem of compatibility between modes and there is a tendency for the game to become unstable.
And i am dreaming for an "ultramod". This means I would merge Thomsen's Sound Pack, Merchant Fleet Mode, Real ASW Mod, VonDos's ships etc. with GWX Gold? A new name?

GWX Platinium! SubSum Comunity Mode SSCM!

If I new how to do it, I would make it... but I do not now. I think the members of this forum are good enough to do this with historical accuracy. If we collect some money can we do it?

PS: "Come on, you talk about money, but you have not made a small donation for this site yet." I do not have a bank card at this time.
Noobicum4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-19, 03:09 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

On problem is that of what to include and what to leave out. "One Gamer's Super Mod is another Gamer's waste of time."

Another problem is that why bother asking for money for something you can get for free?

A third problem is that it's been tried before. The result was a whole lot of trouble. The fact is that some of the mods, such as SH3 Commander and the Merchant Fleet Mod, are proprietary property, and can't be used without the creator's permission, and because it's privately owned the creator won't give that permission.

This has all been done before. Those of us who've been around long enough remember the SH3 Mod Wars, and don't want to live through them again.

You'll find yourself going over the same ground again for no gain, and in the end you'll end up frustrated and tired out. Work with others instead, and you'll be a lot happier.

There are a lot of Super Mods out there. Enjoy them.
Old 07-28-19, 04:05 AM   #3
Noobicum4Ever
Torpedoman

Downloads: 36

1. Sailor Steve: "On problem is that of what to include and what to leave out."
Ideea: All modes that simulate reality must be added. Historical accuracy is the standard.

2. SS: "Another problem is that why bother asking for money for something you can get for free?"
Ideea: Because you have to read very much on this forum when you are new and that can discourage you. Because the modes are not all compatible with each other. Because we love this game and it would be great to have an ultramod that unifies everything that's new and historically correct.

3. "SS: The fact is that some of the mods, such as SH3 Commander and the Merchant Fleet Mod, are proprietary property, and can't be used without the creator's permission, and because it's privately owned the creator won't give that permission."
Ideea: There are several solutions to this problem, depending on what everyone wants:
- we collect money for those who do not want to give it for free and those who are in charge of developing the unified mod;
- must be mentionated the contribution of each, I think the majority does not want money.

For example Padi, the developer of the "Real ASW Mod", he did extraordinary work and he himself wanted to make his mod compatible with WAC;
probably because it is the most current supermod.
I will ask the developers of a few mod if they want money.

Sailor Steve always there to help when someone needs clarification!
Noobicum4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-19, 10:20 AM   #4
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

When first reading the OP, the immediate reaction was "Oh no, not again..."

Realism, as it applies to any computer game is a colossal red herring that, like the nebulous buzzword "immersion", have so wide a meaning as to be contextually meaningless.

The OP demands "realism" and yet cranks out 20-SH3 patrols in two game years and then complains because of a lack of variety in the experience. Guess what, patrols almost certainly had a sameness and multiple patrols increased the probability that the current one would be the last. Nobody ever did 20-patrols in that time frame and in all likelihood, doing so would be effectively impossible. You are attempting to square a circle and have it both ways by demanding "realism" be provided by a modder while at the same time play the game in a manner that is entirely "unrealistic" given the experiences of the actual campaign.

You cannot have "realism" however you might define it without imposing it upon how you play the game yourself. If you expect modders to deliver it to you all tied up nice and neat, you're howling at the moon. If you want "realism" you need to take responsibility for playing in a manner that resembles the reality of the historical situation.

There are some brilliant mods out there and the prospects of getting a glimpse of what the U-Boat war might have been like at some level is certainly attainable but only in some respects. This is not a critique on how an individual might play, that's entirely up to them but elsewhere on these pages there is a post where one demands realism in one aspect of the game while admitting to turning off Limited Battery and Limited Oxygen option is late war careers. It is insane to think that giving his Type VII (presumably) the characteristics of an SSN is in any way compatible with a with the "realism" as envisioned by the authors' of the mod in use. But if you're happy with a nuc U-Boat in 1944 than go ahead and be happy but don't claim to demand "realism" because you just threw that out the window.

SH3 certainly simulates some things well, particularly when a "supermod" is plugged into your stock installation. It is great as an attack teacher, the methods used to approach and engage a target with torpedoes in the real world also work perfectly in the game. It also simulates other aspects of the U-Boat war, particularly the procedural ones but some procedures are simulated better than others. But in the end it is still a game.

Play the game however you like but please stop publicly demanding "realism" (whatever that actually is) until you are prepared to impose historically reasonable behaviours on your own gaming. And please, let's not return to the days of the SH3 modders wars and try to unite all the mods. There is no One Ring to bind them...

Unsolicited $0.02 CAD.

-C
Randomizer is online   Reply With Quote