SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-02-12, 02:44 PM   #256
Jankowski
Frogman

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joalphski View Post
The Type II is a great pleasure to sail in, and strangley, it seems to totally complete me like all these other things like the T-26 Light Tank, FT-17 Light Tank, I-15 Chaika, and Minesweepers. What's in common within all of those? They're all small, and mostly insignificant things that nobody really likes/wants to like. I'm an "against the trend goer."
Sounds just like me! I love those things too! Just something about the mindset of the design I think that makes it so cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhB8_kvT9ms
Jankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 07:39 PM   #257
andwii
Frogman

Downloads: 76

big thing I hate is early war eel duds, especially if you get a whole batch of em.
andwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 10:26 PM   #258
von Kinderei
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 150

After readin' all this I just started a new career in a Type II

One question ... how do ya raise the antenna
Old 01-02-12, 11:25 PM   #259
JuergenSchT
Sailor man

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Kinderei View Post
After readin' all this I just started a new career in a Type II

One question ... how do ya raise the antenna
I guess you are referring to the RDF antenna. And I guess you must be playing stock game.
GWX gives you a rotating RDF antenna that appears when you are surfaced (when you are underwater, it is gone). You cannot raise it, though.
If you want to have a controllable RDF antenna, you must use this mod by Anvart. It is only compatible with GWX3, as far as I know.
JuergenSchT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 11:48 PM   #260
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

A Type IIA + GWX3 + 30th U-Boat Flotilla / The Soviet Red Banner Black Sea Fleet = A Fun Career.

Where in SH3 else can you get bounced by a pair of TU-2s.
Old 01-03-12, 11:16 AM   #261
von Kinderei
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuergenSchT View Post
I guess you are referring to the RDF antenna. And I guess you must be playing stock game.
GWX gives you a rotating RDF antenna that appears when you are surfaced (when you are underwater, it is gone). You cannot raise it, though.
If you want to have a controllable RDF antenna, you must use this mod by Anvart. It is only compatible with GWX3, as far as I know.
That would be the antenna and I am playing GWX 3.0 Gold

Mine won't raise when surfaced ... I thought it hot keyed like in the VII I hit shift V and it raises or lowers as it never raises on it's own when I surface
Old 01-03-12, 11:40 AM   #262
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuergenSchT View Post
...you must use this mod by Anvart.

One of the best "little" mods out there. It lets you raise and lower the antennae and the flag at your command. I always wait until I have left the harbor before raising the DF loop, and wait until I am outside friendly territory before lowering the flag. I also raise the flag when encountering a friendly or neutral ship, at least in the first few months of the war.

Get it here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1882
Old 01-03-12, 04:22 PM   #263
von Kinderei
Ocean Warrior

Thanks I'll try that when in port

What is the crush depth of a Type II ... I went down to 80 meters to-day and things started to collapse and I had to emergency surface to keep from killin' myself and the crew
Old 04-15-12, 10:23 AM   #264
Joalphski
Watch

Downloads: 227

That's very interesting sounding. The raisable thingy. Sounds cool.

The IIA's crush depth is 150m I believe. Safely, I go down to 130m during those nasty destroyer attacks. So long as your hull hasn't been damaged, you'll be fine at 130m as far as I know, but if you get that uncomfortable just go to 100m instead.

The IID's crush depth is 175m??? I forget, but I can go down to 150m safely in that boat. ^^

Yes. I know type II U-Boats aren't good, but I like them anyway. Why? I'm just different like that. I always have liked smaller things. It's kind of like light tanks if you know what I mean. And when in doubt, YIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUHHH!!!!!!!!!! Also, I fight for my friends!
Joalphski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 02:04 PM   #265
Kpt. Weyprecht
Gunner

Downloads: 89

I remember sailing a Typ II back at the time of stock vanilla game (before I heard of GWX... It must have been GWX 2.0 or 2.1 at the time) and a sigh of relief when I finally could afford a Typ VII. I'd really like to try a new career in this little boat. Just one thing - I like the idea of shorter partols, but what about all the time lost on crossing the Kiel canal? I remember it took forever when I once tried the 7th flotilla (I sticked to the 2nd ever since). Would you change the max TC value or do a tweak of the kind?
Kpt. Weyprecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 03:15 PM   #266
Frenchy849
A-ganger

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Weyprecht View Post
I remember sailing a Typ II back at the time of stock vanilla game (before I heard of GWX... It must have been GWX 2.0 or 2.1 at the time) and a sigh of relief when I finally could afford a Typ VII. I'd really like to try a new career in this little boat. Just one thing - I like the idea of shorter partols, but what about all the time lost on crossing the Kiel canal? I remember it took forever when I once tried the 7th flotilla (I sticked to the 2nd ever since). Would you change the max TC value or do a tweak of the kind?
Actually,you can use SH3 commander to modify max TC.
Old 04-25-12, 08:49 PM   #267
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Weyprecht View Post
I I remember it took forever when I once tried the 7th flotilla (I sticked to the 2nd ever since).
In stock SH3 the Flotillas are wrong. In GWX3 it's the proper way: 1st and 7th are based at Kiel (except in August '39 when the 7th is at Konigsberg), and the 2nd is at Wilhelmshaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy849 View Post
Actually,you can use SH3 commander to modify max TC.
Yes, one of Commander's many wonderful functions. I keep "When Near Land" set to 128, do my own plotting, and The Canal is a breeze. One of the problems with Time Compression in general is the fact that in real life the Canal was built because it is so much shorter, while in the game many people go the long way around because it's "faster" that way.
Old 05-08-12, 06:55 AM   #268
Kpt. Weyprecht
Gunner

Downloads: 89

Exactly: I swiched to the 2nd flotilla to start from Wilhelmshaven rather than having to make it through the Canal or through the Sounds at each patrol.
Anyway. I started my new campaign in a Typ II. It feels great. I was sent to a square on the Norwegian coast so after my 24 hours I returned to a position a little north of Stavanger, in the deep water, waiting for merchants.
the first one was British Small Merchant, in full daylight. I managed to take a position even if that was a longish shot... It missed. then another one, in the dusk... Damn it, it was lit up - a neutral. In the night, a darkened Small Merchant. I could maneuver as I wanted so I was in the perfect position, at my UZO counting last degrees before a proper straight shot... And then I saw her German ensign.

All right, any ideas of good hunting grounds for a tiny Typ II where I could find something bigger than a Small or a Coastal Merchant? I remember lots of juicy ships passing between Orkney and Shetland but it's a bit far from home. Or should I linger near to Hull or Dundee?
(still, I'm a little afraid of those minefields...)
Kpt. Weyprecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 04:47 PM   #269
Joalphski
Watch

Downloads: 227

Wow it's been a while since I've been here. Well I'd suggest waiting a patrol or two till you get the IID. That thing is fantastic for coastal operations, and it is especially cheap as well (500 renown right?). I always go to places around England where there is a kind of a river thing (you know, like one of the water inlets where there is a English port nearby. Sorry, my Geography isn't too spectacular.), and I wait there for enemies. Plenty of merchants pass by there regularly (and the Armed Trawlers are also plentiful), and the area around Scapa Flow is good too. Lot's of C2 Cargos and even some C3 Cargos as well sail those areas. The thing I dislike is when it gets later in the war and when your port transfers (to Brest if you're in the 2nd Flotilla, and I always choose the 2nd), then when you transfer it gets almost impossible to do things in your IIA cause the patrol grids are so darn far away. I highly suggest getting an IID for the boosted range, underwater speed and underwater range, as well as it being a better boat submerged overall (has anyone else in GWX noticed that the IIA [being underpowered] when moving slowly its conning tower pokes its head out of the water at default periscope depth? The IID doesn't do that I think, so I like that more. The better diving depth is awesome too. 150m safely instead of 130m safely in the IIA). I love this submarine, and I've never sailed anything better than it. I actually sank more tonnage than any other U-Boat captain in one career (although I switched to the Type VII after a crippling attack by some ASW ships that I'm still suprised I limped away from. I also came to the realization that without a snorkel you will die in 1944 and 1945. lol). Best career I've ever had, and the II made up over 66% of the whole career. It was awesome.

Yes. I know type II U-Boats aren't good, but I like them anyway. Why? I'm just different like that. I always have liked smaller things. It's kind of like light tanks if you know what I mean. And when in doubt, YIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUHHH!!!!!!!!!! Also, I fight for my friends!
Joalphski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 10:13 PM   #270
kurodai fischer
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

hup. permission to joint the club.

done first patrol with type IIA, sink a V&W class. back to port. ready to 2nd patrol.
so fun to see this ship flying on rough sea.
but i think the tower is too tall for the ship. so top of tower will appear on surface at periscope depth.
kurodai fischer is offline   Reply With Quote