Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-03-19, 02:39 PM   #1
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Default Save game issue?

First time this happened.

I was depth charged for a long time. I was pretty damaged, I travel for quite some way, had many real navigation marks everywhere on map.

After being depth charged and surfaced, I save my game, but it did not allow me to save to my journal and it went right to desktop.

When I start my game back up it keeps me in the same position I saved at, but all the marks I had from the previous save are gone and all my systems are 100% No damage!

My todpedo usage is the same. Tonnage sunk the same. Just no journal entry or damage!

Ideas?
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 05:53 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I think the saved journals, messages, and *supermarks* done on the map are saved in files visible in your main game directory, with the ending xxx_Draggables.TDW . Delete these files and start the game, and everything should return to normal, these files will be written again.
I don't know if this is 100% true and all related to your problem, but worth to try.

The only other way to repair a corrupt save game that I know about - if this is really the problem - is (from my notes):

----------------------
Sometimes you can rescue the save by deleting the file "Special.txt" from your savegame folder (...Documents\SH5\data\cfg\SaveGames\0000000*). Reload the save and pray...
----------------------

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-03-19 at 06:02 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 06:20 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Thanks.

It’s not the worst situation... just wierd. I will try your suggestions!

Last edited by bstanko6; 04-03-19 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-03-19, 07:49 PM   #4
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Uploads: 0

Simular story.. I hit a destroyer in the bow and then so tired wanted to save games . the thing was listing bow down and losing speed . I saved games . destroyer was at 100% when loaded. from the saved games.

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 08:51 PM   #5
rolandslaw
Bosun

Downloads: 66
Default getting out of leadin movie ..

how do you get out of the intro movie in SH5?

Roland/CyStriker
rolandslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 11:09 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

The TWOS notes say to not save the game when AI units or planes are nearby, this can lead to save corruption. Also later when you are in the bunker, do not use autosaves.

If you are in your patrol area, leave the area before saving otherwise your progress in the area is reset when you save inside. (That's not critical however, you just won't get renown points to distribute for your crew, or you must redo the 48 hour patrol in that zone).
Old 04-04-19, 11:15 AM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandslaw View Post
how do you get out of the intro movie in SH5?

Roland/CyStriker

I think best method is to rename the intro file so it won't be played. But in TWOS the intro has special bars telling you about the loading progress, so it may not be helpful to skip it. Or is this after the intro?
Old 04-04-19, 02:12 PM   #8
rolandslaw
Bosun

Downloads: 66
Default SH5 intro video.

Thank u.. I will try renaming....

CyStriker
rolandslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-19, 03:38 AM   #9
bstanko6
Admiral

After looking into it, I think i figured out what i did wrong.

I keep a physical journal, and I wrote in the journal before the save, "Came across a neutral freighter with war supplies on it."

I proceeded to sink the ship anyway, and I think that was what caused the issue.

If i remember correctly, sinking neutral ships can cause strange issues.
Old 04-06-19, 04:09 AM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
After looking into it, I think i figured out what i did wrong.

I keep a physical journal, and I wrote in the journal before the save, "Came across a neutral freighter with war supplies on it."

I proceeded to sink the ship anyway, and I think that was what caused the issue.

If i remember correctly, sinking neutral ships can cause strange issues.
Friendly shipping:
Sinking friendly ships will cause issues, namely to end your campaign
This ending will have grafical glitches because Ubisoft or the TWOS mod doesn't add a final screen to tell you your game is over. It's a DRM thing: To see that screen you would have to be connected to the Ubisoft server - inexistant anymore
Because of the glitch, you may not see the 2nd final screen which is an overview of your statistics and campagin, usually you see it when transfering from 1 campaign to the next, but the grafic glitch after sinking a friendly ship may just crash your game, so unfortunately you won't know for sure what has happened
The only remedy is: Do not sink friendly ships. Friendly means: German ships, and ships with flags of countries that denote green icons on the map at your current campaign time - for example Italian or Greek ships in the Med sea, or French ships after the invasion of France, etc.

Neutral shipping:
Sinking neutral ships will cause you some renown penalties and blacklisting in your career advancement, nothing really visible but it matters.
However, I never had game glitches because of it, but then I don't play so very often to tell for sure. I sink all ships heading to England or enemy territory, wether neutrals or not. I just hope they are not friendly. In that case the flag doesn't make any difference for me, Neutral flag, English Flag, or Mickey Mouse flag: the enemy will get resupplied and I'm on patrol to avoid it
Besides, what are you doing at night or foggy weather, will you let the ship dock in English ports? Or will you go 100m close and risk collision to see its flag? I dont' think so...To compensate for poor or absent radio communication or light signals - which is not in the game - I may use the external camera to check if it's a friendly ship. If not, I sink it, neutral or enemy.

Saving journal and map marks:
I know that you need to save your journal and other things everytime you make changes, [EDIT: it's the logbook window next to the Captain's log:] select it and you get save options. Normal marks on the map will NOT be saved, only supermarks with their text AFAIK, plus the radio messages and other things. After reloading game you must also reload this saved file. (Or set it to reload automatically which I don't know if it can be done.)

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-06-19 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-29-20, 07:04 PM   #11
poveglia
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
The TWOS notes say to not save the game when AI units or planes are nearby, this can lead to save corruption. Also later when you are in the bunker, do not use autosaves.

If you are in your patrol area, leave the area before saving otherwise your progress in the area is reset when you save inside. (That's not critical however, you just won't get renown points to distribute for your crew, or you must redo the 48 hour patrol in that zone).

Are you saying that we shouldnt save inside any patrol area at ALL if we want the renown points?
poveglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 08:21 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

poveglia!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 09:09 PM   #13
poveglia
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
poveglia!

Javohl Herr Kaleun!
Old 11-29-20, 09:10 PM   #14
poveglia
Swabbie

I fear I may have corrupted my campaign by sailing pretty close to the Danzig Harbor. Is this really something I have to worry about?
Old 11-30-20, 03:36 AM   #15
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poveglia View Post
Are you saying that we shouldnt save inside any patrol area at ALL if we want the renown points?
Just during 48 hours that are required to complete the objective "Patrol grid ..... for 48 hours". The issue is that timer counting these 48 hours gets reset every time you (save or load - not sure on this one) game, so if you save often you will never complete this objective.

Best way is to reach patrol area, cruise around for 49 hours (game time) within one playing session (you can use TC to do it fast), then save after objective is completed - and you are then free to play however you like.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote