Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-17, 06:54 PM   #1
Jacmac
Nub

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Need help starting a mission in TWOS

Hi, I just bought SH5 on Steam and after several downloads and tinkering, I managed to get The Wolves of Steel running. I've never played SH5 before. I've played past iterations of the SH series, but I'm having trouble just getting a mission started in this one. The manual seems to be useless and I'm wondering if the TWOS mod had drastically altered the way a mission starts?

I spawned in the sub pen and can walk around. I walked up to a guy that looked like an officer, a map is displayed, and he told me about the present situation with the war. After his spiel, I'm thinking that the map should display objectives. I can scroll around the map, but there aren't any icons on ocean sectors to select. If I exit the map and talk to him again, there is an option to start a patrol, but I'm given the warning that I haven't selected a mission yet, are you sure you want to do this?

Is there a post somewhere that describes how select and start a TWOS mission?

OK, I found faint box in the upper left that was a Baltic Sea mission. It was so faint that it blended in with the map. All is good, maybe this will help someone else...
Jacmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 07:32 PM   #2
Saintaw
Medic

Downloads: 47

I originally missed the 1st patrol mission as I was eager to play and was looking around England, while the 1st mission is in Poland, have a look there (When looking at the map after you spoke to the officer on the pier), from memory, you should also be able to select a mission from a list in the top left of the map(?)

blub blubb...

Saintaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 02:31 AM   #3
CassiousClay
Mate

Downloads: 25

Is there any update to this info? How in the world do you start a mission with this mod? I'm no longer fluent in German and reading the text translation to English sub titles is nearly impossible for those of us like me that sit 10 feet from a 90" monitor, the sub titles are white text on the yellowish background. I'm sure other players have had the same issue and question so it would be helpful to have the answer here.
CassiousClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 05:11 AM   #4
Sickents
Watch

Downloads: 41

create a new campaign, when on campaign select screen, type in silentotto, this unlocks all campaigns, select Happy Times Campaign, start from there.

make sure you save in your bunker then exit to the main menu and reload the save, this will prevent glitches and bugs.

you can try to do coastal waters campaign but that's the campaign I always encounter issues with personally.

also, you can just set sail without selecting a mission from the HQ guy, all missions are done by Dates in TWOS, they will automatically appear once you are sailing.

Happy Hunting Big Dawg
Sickents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 07:42 PM   #5
CassiousClay
Mate

So we have to use a cheat to get any missions at all?
I've spoken to the guy at the pier and chose the mission option. Why doesn't that actually give us a mission or is the mission to go on a patrol and sink merchant ships?

I'm not sure I'm a fan of this mod that changes the game. I like all the features it adds but for a new player like me it multiplies the frustration of not knowing wtf anything does or how to use it or what we have to do to progress in the game by a lot.

How in the world do we launch the tutorials?

Where is the manual / instructions for this mod?
If there isn't one, as I have not found one anywhere, how the heck did anyone figure all this out?

I can't even find where my ship is on the map. There's no icon at all for my own ship. That's annoying and extremely frustrating.
And why I want to scrap this crap and go back to vanilla. At least I was able to do something with the vanilla version. Everything worked, now it seems nothing works - maybe because options I don't know about are turned off? Like the map options that are there but we can't click on to activate.
Old 12-03-20, 01:23 AM   #6
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

dont have to use a cheat their two guys on the dock talk to one the first mission is poland then you click on the mission it turn red exit map then click start patrol tutorials can be found under single missions if i remember right
Old 12-03-20, 06:10 AM   #7
CassiousClay
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
dont have to use a cheat their two guys on the dock talk to one the first mission is poland then you click on the mission it turn red exit map then click start patrol tutorials can be found under single missions if i remember right
Please forgive my noobness I have never played a game like this before.
I spoke to the guy at the pier the game loads at (wolves of steel), selected the mission option and half translated the German half read the text about the Poland mission.

1. As I understand it I'm supposed to take out merchant ships in the Danzig area?

What's confusing me is when I open the objectives screen there's nothing there. I do have a waypoint in north of Danzig in the Baltic Sea and a message that says about not attacking "English, etc....Boats to remain in waiting positions for the present."

2. Do I have a mission active or not? Am I to go to the waypoint and sit there? The "present" is something to shoot at? That's what I did, went to the waypoint and I'm sitting there bored to death.

Would be nice if things were straight forward. 'Go to *these coordinates* and attack *these* ships until further orders.'

I have no idea if I'm progressing in the game or just wasting fuel cruising the boat around. To conserve fuel I've gone to the waypoint and sped time up to make it daylight so I can see because night is blackness.

3. Is that how this game is? It's a lot of doing...not much....until we find a ship?

4. Is there a way to find ships to sink more often?

5. Will I get missions randomly or is this how the game is, mostly boring as hell but really interesting at the same time because I'm on and commanding a WWII sub! (?)

Thanks a lot! It's a relief actually getting replies. I was about to give up on the game and request a refund because it took me 3 days just to get the game running.

6. What is the time and date format in the messages? The message I have says 0445/1/9. I have no idea what 0445 is unless that's time of day (Military time 4:45am) day/month? GMT Time it's 9am 9/1/1939 so I'm hoping a ship to sink appears SOON!

I have no other icons on the map other than the waypoint, ports, and my own ship.

7. Am I missing a setting somewhere that turns icons for other ships on?

Yeah. I'm full of windy questions.
Old 12-03-20, 01:02 PM   #8
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

dont worry about asking questions that how we are learn
1.all polish ships when you get by the red x you should see two or three polish dd attack them if you want
2.be careful with speeding time up try to stay at or below 256x
3.pretty much unless you get attack by air dont worry it will get funnier later on
4.you can dive about 20 to 30m check sonar about every hour

5. you can also click start patrol without picking a mission and go anywhere you want to patrol

6.military time 0445am sept1
7.at the options menu you should see game settings then click no map contact on should allowed map contacts to show up

here a link you van check out https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=239796
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPb...W2NArCA/videos
Old 12-03-20, 05:24 PM   #9
Sickents
Watch

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiousClay View Post
Please forgive my noobness I have never played a game like this before.
I spoke to the guy at the pier the game loads at (wolves of steel), selected the mission option and half translated the German half read the text about the Poland mission.

1. As I understand it I'm supposed to take out merchant ships in the Danzig area?

What's confusing me is when I open the objectives screen there's nothing there. I do have a waypoint in north of Danzig in the Baltic Sea and a message that says about not attacking "English, etc....Boats to remain in waiting positions for the present."

2. Do I have a mission active or not? Am I to go to the waypoint and sit there? The "present" is something to shoot at? That's what I did, went to the waypoint and I'm sitting there bored to death.

Would be nice if things were straight forward. 'Go to *these coordinates* and attack *these* ships until further orders.'

I have no idea if I'm progressing in the game or just wasting fuel cruising the boat around. To conserve fuel I've gone to the waypoint and sped time up to make it daylight so I can see because night is blackness.

3. Is that how this game is? It's a lot of doing...not much....until we find a ship?

4. Is there a way to find ships to sink more often?

5. Will I get missions randomly or is this how the game is, mostly boring as hell but really interesting at the same time because I'm on and commanding a WWII sub! (?)

Thanks a lot! It's a relief actually getting replies. I was about to give up on the game and request a refund because it took me 3 days just to get the game running.

6. What is the time and date format in the messages? The message I have says 0445/1/9. I have no idea what 0445 is unless that's time of day (Military time 4:45am) day/month? GMT Time it's 9am 9/1/1939 so I'm hoping a ship to sink appears SOON!

I have no other icons on the map other than the waypoint, ports, and my own ship.

7. Am I missing a setting somewhere that turns icons for other ships on?

Yeah. I'm full of windy questions.
have you got discord mate? I can talk you through it all if you like and help you set it up to a more beginner level of difficulty and explain how everything works.

you can also add me on steam if you like ( [MFH] The Big Bad Wolf )

i don't mind spending a few hours talking you through it all

Last edited by Sickents; 12-03-20 at 05:52 PM.
Sickents is offline   Reply With Quote