Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-07, 03:41 AM   #1
kevtherev
Loader

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0
Default DC modding tools

New kid here again, can anyone point me to tools available for access to .sdf and .msg files used by DC. Would like to make some changes but cannot get into these files.
Old 08-16-07, 09:35 AM   #2
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

SDF files in SH2 and DC are plain text, so Windows Notepad will allow you to make any changes you wish to those files.

If you want a more sophisticated tool to create scenarios, maybe you need to check Koralle, or still better, Kriegstanz.

Kriegstanz has its own website (don't have the address here, but a Google search will easily take you there), and somewhere in its forums (needs registering) lies the link to the last version.

Koralle was available in the SH2 section of Subsim.

SH2/DC, oldies but goldies
Old 08-18-07, 06:01 AM   #3
kevtherev
Loader

Downloads: 131

Many thanks JapLance, I figured out the sdf and text access, also downloaded the JRF Texture Manager to try my hand at repaints. Now I just have to get the hang of it. I don't suppose you have any guides for me on this aspect. Also does anyone have info. on the file format used for the 3D models and if so is there a programm available on the lines of AC3D or similar.
Once again many thanks from the new kid!
Old 08-20-07, 06:56 AM   #4
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

Good luck with your modding for DC/SH2.

There's so much potential to turn them into almost anything related to naval warfare in the age of the gun.

Generally, both DC and SH2 are both very accessible to modding. Unfortunately the big exception is the model format which is the proprietry JRF file.

Have you any particular imodels you want to pursue ?
horsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 03:15 AM   #5
MS angevelu
Swabbie

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsa
Good luck with your modding for DC/SH2.

There's so much potential to turn them into almost anything related to naval warfare in the age of the gun.

Generally, both DC and SH2 are both very accessible to modding. Unfortunately the big exception is the model format which is the proprietry JRF file.

Have you any particular imodels you want to pursue ?
Hello,
In the XDKAlgesiras.JRF file , there was a merchant boat near a quay, This modele is unpublished in the game, Is it possible to make it playable ?

I have no sufficient knowledge to realize it, It is for it that I address to you.

I am just a good painter,

Corvete FNFL

and realize a multi skin for MFC merchant boat

MS angevelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 05:01 AM   #6
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Look inside the mission files ( sim/scenarios/single) . They are called SDF files. Open it with a text editor such as notepad or wordpad.
Look down the text until you find the references to [unit] . The one that has a line reference that says "CONTROL=HUMAN" is player controlled. Look for the line that says CLASS = . Replace the name with the name of the ship file (JRF file) you want to add.
Save the text file and then go and play that mission. You should now have that ship as a player vessel.

If you want the ship to appear just as a unit without player control you can use any of the [unit] references.
Old 09-11-07, 06:43 AM   #7
blumen-bts
Watch

Downloads: 34

In Mare Nostrum mod there is an human controlled armed merchant ...

for info: http://www.forum.maricosom.net/viewforum.php?f=25
Old 09-11-07, 08:41 AM   #8
MS angevelu
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsa
Look inside the mission files ( sim/scenarios/single) . They are called SDF files. Open it with a text editor such as notepad or wordpad.
Look down the text until you find the references to [unit] . The one that has a line reference that says "CONTROL=HUMAN" is player controlled. Look for the line that says CLASS = . Replace the name with the name of the ship file (JRF file) you want to add.
Save the text file and then go and play that mission. You should now have that ship as a player vessel.

If you want the ship to appear just as a unit without player control you can use any of the [unit] references.
Thank you for your answer, but it I already knew it , Here is my question otherwise.

In the gane when you see the port Algesira, Show by the base XDKAlgesiras. JRF, you can see a merchant boat immovable near the quay, It is a part of the decoration of the port.

It is exactly about this boat about which I speak.
Is it possible for the one who can make it get back this boat to insert it into the game as the other trade boats.
It is necessary to modify or to recreate a new .jrf file, i can't do it.
Well , if I knew the author of this file n it would be simpler !
Old 09-11-07, 09:00 AM   #9
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

If that merchant is part of the Algeceras JRF file then it will be difficult extracting it ......

Guess it's over to you Blumen-bts
Old 09-11-07, 11:02 AM   #10
blumen-bts
Watch

Downloads: 34

@MS angevelu

XDKalgeciras was made by Canarb ...the merchant represent the ship Olterra used as secret base by Italian frog man and is a part of the jrf , so it is unmovable .
I suggest you to send a PM to Canarb or, better, post on our forum (http://www.forum.maricosom.net/) ..there are guys that know english better than me

...for more info about Olterra: http://www.regiamarina.net/xa_mas/gi...braltar_us.htm
Old 09-19-07, 12:35 PM   #11
MS angevelu
Swabbie

a question about the unit NCXAMCTinguin.
how to change flag ?
A have Jrf TexMan , extarct the covet.flag_argentina.tga , rename it in covet.flag_ger_war.tga, insert it, the .jrf file becomes unusable, because I have a black screen ! !

Somebody can help me ?
Old 09-19-07, 03:34 PM   #12
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS angevelu
a question about the unit NCXAMCTinguin.
how to change flag ?
A have Jrf TexMan , extarct the covet.flag_argentina.tga , rename it in covet.flag_ger_war.tga, insert it, the .jrf file becomes unusable, because I have a black screen ! !

Somebody can help me ?
In the Jrf Files you have to insert the same file you extracted first. Take the TGA and edit it, then insert it again, without changing the name.
Old 10-11-07, 02:34 AM   #13
MS angevelu
Swabbie

With all other units the modification of covets.tga works well, I have no probleme.

It is only with the MSCKandelfels.JRF , NCXAMCPinguin.JRF that it do not work.

As soon as have it re-insert a modified .tga file, the .jrf file becomes corrupt.

I would just like to change the flag color.

Another question I use the TorpedoHitFX, on SHII no problems, on Destroyer Command no problem for the explosions of water, torpedo and depht charge, just when i make smoke behind the Destroyer ( MAJ+S ) the game crash, black screen !
How to make ?