SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-29-19, 01:37 PM   #1
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
Support Oh Bloody Hell

During my utter focus on two passenger liners during a double targeting (It aint easy to hit both at 10nm/h each) I hit Ship1 with two torpedos, she goes down, I hit Ship 2 with 1 and one just bounces off the hull as the ship banked left.

So In my rush and focus I hit blow ballast, we pop up, gunner starts to aim and shoot the liner.

Dead shot twice, and it looks to be sinking.
Then ....

Boing/Boom, the screen shakes and shimmies and a loud explosion crackles. We've been hit by a plane bomb.

Dammit, I didnt put out my AA guners.

Crash dive. we escape.

I go to assess the damage. Big time, lots of systems damanged, but hey I got a full damage crew.

I look at the crew screen and Command all the way to the right through forward torpedoes - every crew member is injured.

Bloody hell. Not bad, 90-95% healthy, so they will heal (and they did)

But my next thought. How the F am I going to keep track of all the purple heart recipients? Because once healed, there is no indication.

You would think the game would divi these out.
Well got back to port, and nobody got Purple Hearts.

Bloody hell, what do you have to do, loose an arm to receive one?

Oh and does the game automatically dish out purple hearts?
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 04:10 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirich View Post
During my utter focus on two passenger liners during a double targeting (It aint easy to hit both at 10nm/h each) I hit Ship1 with two torpedos, she goes down, I hit Ship 2 with 1 and one just bounces off the hull as the ship banked left.

So In my rush and focus I hit blow ballast, we pop up, gunner starts to aim and shoot the liner.

Dead shot twice, and it looks to be sinking.
Then ....

Boing/Boom, the screen shakes and shimmies and a loud explosion crackles. We've been hit by a plane bomb.

Dammit, I didnt put out my AA guners.

Crash dive. we escape.

I go to assess the damage. Big time, lots of systems damanged, but hey I got a full damage crew.

I look at the crew screen and Command all the way to the right through forward torpedoes - every crew member is injured.

Bloody hell. Not bad, 90-95% healthy, so they will heal (and they did)

But my next thought. How the F am I going to keep track of all the purple heart recipients? Because once healed, there is no indication.

You would think the game would divi these out.
Well got back to port, and nobody got Purple Hearts.

Bloody hell, what do you have to do, loose an arm to receive one?

Oh and does the game automatically dish out purple hearts?
lol. welcome to silent hunter by ubisoft.

you learned a valuable lesson, my friend. remember it.

so, down to cases...purple hearts. any/all awards are made available to the Captain (you) based on what the boat accomplished and what damage was done to the boat. MOST of the time you will receive SOME purple hearts if you take "enough" and "serious" damage to the boat. the determination of serious and enough is locked in the fog of Ubi-land.

as far as keeping track of who was wounded and deserving of a PH, if you get some, you will have to keep some personal notes. i do that: Command #1-3, Watch 7&8. Entire Aft Torpedo Room, etc.

the same is true with valor awards. if your boat sinks a lot of tonnage, you will be able to hand out some bronze stars and silver stars to whomever you choose.
you will very rarely have the opportunity to give a crew member a navy cross or a medal of honor.
so, bottom line...when you see the medals available you can award them and when you don't get what you want, take your complaint to your squadron CO.

good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 04:23 PM   #3
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
lol. welcome to silent hunter by ubisoft.

you learned a valuable lesson, my friend. remember it.

so, down to cases...purple hearts. any/all awards are made available to the Captain (you) based on what the boat accomplished and what damage was done to the boat. MOST of the time you will receive SOME purple hearts if you take "enough" and "serious" damage to the boat. the determination of serious and enough is locked in the fog of Ubi-land.

as far as keeping track of who was wounded and deserving of a PH, if you get some, you will have to keep some personal notes. i do that: Command #1-3, Watch 7&8. Entire Aft Torpedo Room, etc.

the same is true with valor awards. if your boat sinks a lot of tonnage, you will be able to hand out some bronze stars and silver stars to whomever you choose.
you will very rarely have the opportunity to give a crew member a navy cross or a medal of honor.
so, bottom line...when you see the medals available you can award them and when you don't get what you want, take your complaint to your squadron CO.

good luck.
Great answer!

I'll add this..........
In real life not everyone that deserved Medals got them.
It's a well known and proven fact that some did not receive Awards until YEARS later!