Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-10, 08:55 PM   #1
demowhc
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default SH4 vs SH5?

How does SH5 compare to SH4+U-Boat expansion?
Old 03-13-10, 10:32 PM   #2
jazman
Commander

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by demowhc View Post
SH4+UB+OpMonsun+OMEGU makes a decent game, although the OpMonsun aircraft are crazy deadly, even early war. Even so, it's better than SH5, but SH5 has some ways to catch up yet, time will tell.

Heck, you even get a Type IX, and can play Operation Monsun, or make a trip to the Caribbean, or sit off of Freetown. That's nice! Right now I'm patrolling off of Norfolk / Chesapeake Bay.

I am not all about eye-candy in my games, I consider gameplay to be more important. SH3+GWX is even better.
Old 03-13-10, 11:05 PM   #3
demowhc
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Yeh I currently have OpMonsun installed and was wondering how bad SH5 gameplay is in comparison, or if I should wait a couple months for patches and mods to fix it before purchasing...

And I know eye-candy isnt everything, but I'm a graphics whore and love nice graphics lol, this is the main reason I want SH5, but only if gameplay is up to par.
Old 03-14-10, 12:46 AM   #4
Chillaxed614
Swabbie

Downloads: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by demowhc View Post
If youre expecting a better version of SH3 or SH4 uboats I'd hold off for a minute. The graphics and some of the new concepts in it are great, unfortunately theyre making it feel like an unfinished console game, with a new interface completely unlike what all the diehard fans of the series have come to know and love. Fortunately theres already mods in the process to restore original SH3 and 4 elements and make it what it potentially can be. In a few months this game will rip tits.
Chillaxed614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 12:49 AM   #5
wamphyri
Lieutenant

Downloads: 40

I agree with chill. There are many things in sh5 that I like over sh3/4 but it does not feel like a finished product yet.
wamphyri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 04:08 AM   #6
alexradu89
Lieutenant

Downloads: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazman View Post
SH4+UB+OpMonsun+OMEGU makes a decent game, although the OpMonsun aircraft are crazy deadly, even early war. Even so, it's better than SH5, but SH5 has some ways to catch up yet, time will tell.
Totally agree with you here, I am using exactly the same mods setup and I'm loving it, even though I would have preferred to play SH5 but right now it's just unplayable with it's bugs and everything.
alexradu89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 04:44 AM   #7
ShadowWolf Kell
Medic

Downloads: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexradu89 View Post
Totally agree with you here, I am using exactly the same mods setup and I'm loving it, even though I would have preferred to play SH5 but right now it's just unplayable with it's bugs and everything.

Loved those too, unfortunately I get a lot of CTDs with OM for some reason. Lorent is completely unaccessible to me. Any time I come remotely close to it, CTD.

Goes for a lot of cities. Had a patrol off Halifax at one point and couldn't enter the harbor. About the closest I could get before a CTD happened was 16km... well out of G7E range.

That said, despite the CTD issues I found it a very fun and rewarding experience. If SH5 didn't already have as many mods out for it that is does, I'd be back playing SH4 right now.

At some point I'll probably go back to it anyway. I never did get around to playing the latest TMO since I was having far too much fun in my VIIC.
ShadowWolf Kell is offline   Reply With Quote