SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DARPA Game – “ACTUV Tactics”
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-05-11, 12:16 AM   #1
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Oh, the fuel tip is an interesting one! Didn't consider that a factor, but makes a lot of sense. That certainly does make the Shark even more interesting...

Actually, I find the side scan relatively useful for searches - but only provided I can effectively combine it with quick dashes. It's not 360 degrees, but you can clear the whole circle by making just one 90 degree turn. Often you can also judge a target by where it's NOT, which is actually quite handy if you already have an idea where it may be.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 12:23 AM   #2
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
Oh, the fuel tip is an interesting one! Didn't consider that a factor, but makes a lot of sense. That certainly does make the Shark even more interesting...

Actually, I find the side scan relatively useful for searches - but only provided I can effectively combine it with quick dashes. It's not 360 degrees, but you can clear the whole circle by making just one 90 degree turn. Often you can also judge a target by where it's NOT, which is actually quite handy if you already have an idea where it may be.
Problem with that theory is the way they are scoring it. You lose a point for each ping. So you ping and find out he's not there. So you know he's GOT to be here. But you still have to ping to confirm. That's 2 points. Where a 360' MF would accomplish both with a single ping. ("Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please." )

Ideally, I would have a 360' MF, with a 120' 1200yd forward looking HF. That way you can find them, then zip over and latch on with HF and trail them from a decent distance, so you won't get shaken by a sudden diving turning maneuver.

EDIT: OK sorry bout that last one.... got a little carried away with that website....

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 12:48 AM   #3
CCIP
Navy Seal

Good memories, those.

Well, here's what my successful Shark track looks like so far - you can probably tell exactly what I'm doing here. It works, but not without those max speed dashes to close the first 5k yards, with pings for every 1000y travelled to refine the contact - and between them, I still have to be blind. If I wait too long, the sub starts hiding among all that shrimp, and things get very messy unless you have it on HF to start with. You can even see one false return going further south that, had I not quickly sorted out, could have sent me tracking the sub down the wrong path.

I wonder if I should just trying a bit patient and dash at, say, 20kt instead of the full 30...

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 04-05-11, 01:12 AM   #4
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Howd you get those range circles on the merhcys? I couldn't figure it out.

<---- new to DW

Old 04-05-11, 01:34 AM   #5
CCIP
Navy Seal

The red circles aren't merchies - those are actually aging sonar tracks - indicating roughly where the target could be since you lost continuous sonar contact with it. Any time you pick something up on sonar then lose it, these circles start 'growing'. So the circles there there are an old return from the sub (not yet merged with the main track), and probably a bunch of shrimp and trawlers further south picked up by the same pings but never followed on.

So far so good - managed to hit over 20,000pt on the night mission with the Shark, but it was all due to that quick dash, followed by me sticking to the SSK like a leech while dodging the merchants and fishing boats only slightly...

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 04-05-11, 01:42 AM   #6
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

OK yeah.. know that.... duh.

IN the manual it says you can mark range circles on various objects. OR can you only do that to yourself?

Old 04-05-11, 05:59 PM   #7
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
OK yeah.. know that.... duh.

IN the manual it says you can mark range circles on various objects. OR can you only do that to yourself?
Control+Shift+C, click on the target.
Old 04-05-11, 06:19 PM   #8
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
Control+Shift+C, click on the target.
TY sir.

Old 04-07-11, 05:46 PM   #9
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
So far so good - managed to hit over 20,000pt on the night mission with the Shark, but it was all due to that quick dash, followed by me sticking to the SSK like a leech while dodging the merchants and fishing boats only slightly...
Still trying to get the shark down. Seems like the shark would be better served in wolf pack tatics with at least two units. One maintaining contact, while the other sprints ahead at alternating intervals.