SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-25-19, 10:30 AM   #2971
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

1760:
Britain's King George III succeeds his grandfather King George II, who died of "overexertions of the privy"...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-19, 07:05 AM   #2972
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1863 International conference begins in Geneva aimed at improving medical conditions on battlefields - beginning of the Red Cross.

1881 Gunfight at the OK Corral: The most famous shootout in the Wild West occurs, between lawmen (including Wyatt Earp) and the Cowboys, with Tom and Frank McLaury and Billy Clanton killed.

1918 Germany's supreme commander General Eric Ludendorff resigns, protesting the terms to which the German Government has agreed in negotiating an armistice.

1940 The P-51 Mustang makes its maiden flight.

1943 First flight of the Dornier Do 335 "Pfeil".

1951 Winston Churchill re-elected British Prime Minister at the age of 76.

1957 USSR fires defense minister Marshal Georgi Zhukov.

1962 JFK warns Russia that the USA will not allow Soviet missiles to remain in Cuba.

1962 Nikita Khrushchev sends note to JFK offering to withdraw his missiles from Cuba if US closed its bases in Turkey: offer is rejected.

1966 US aircraft carrier Oriskany catches fire at Gulf on Tonken, 43 die.

2002 Moscow Theatre Siege ends: Approximately 50 Chechen rebels and 150 hostages die when Russian Spetsnaz storm a theater building in Moscow, which had been occupied by the rebels during a musical performance three days before.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-19, 06:18 AM   #2973
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1913 President Woodrow Wilson says US will never attack another country.

1914 British battleship HMS Audacious sunk by a mine.

1942 US aircraft carrier USS Hornet sinks off Santa Cruz.

1962 Black Saturday during the Cuban Missile Crisis: An American spy plane is shot down over Cuba and the navy drops warning depth charges on Soviet submarines.

1979 Voluntary Euthanasia Society publishes how-to-do-it suicide guide.

Old 10-28-19, 08:53 AM   #2974
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1904 St Louis police try a new investigation method - fingerprints.

1914 German battle cruiser Goeben enters Black Sea.

1943 German submarine U-220 sunk by US aircraft in the Atlantic.

1946 German rocket engineers begin work in USSR.

1962 Cuban missile crisis: US President JFK receives letter from Soviet Leaderr Khrushchev suggesting agreement.

1971 Great Britain becomes 6th nation to have a satellite (Prospero) in orbit.

Old 10-29-19, 08:58 AM   #2975
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1618 English adventurer, writer, and courtier Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for allegedly conspiring against King James I of England.

1918 German sailors refuse to obey orders to fight British naval forces and lead a revolt in the naval ports of Wilhelmshaven, beginning the German Revolution.

1932 French liner Normandie is launched.

1943 Three allied officers escape out camp Stalag Luft 3

1956 Suez Crisis erupts into war as Israel invades the Gaza Strip and the Sinai Peninsula, to be followed by a planned airborne assault by France and Britain.

1975 'Yorkshire Ripper' Peter Sutcliffe kills first victim, Wilma McCann.

1986 British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher opens the final stretch of London's Orbital Motorway, the M25. Then the world’s longest ring road at 117 miles (188.3 km).

2015 China announces the end of their one-child policy after 35 years.

Old 10-30-19, 07:05 AM   #2976
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1784 Napoléon Bonaparte admitted to the elite École Militaire in Paris, the start of his military career.

1938 A radio broadcast of H. G. Wells "The War of the Worlds", narrated by Orson Welles, allegedly causes a mass panic.

1939 USSR & Germany agree on partitioning Poland, Adolf Hitler deports Jews.

1939 German U boat fails on attack of English battleship Nelson with Winston Churchill, Dudley Pound & Charles Forbes aboard.

1944 Anne Frank is deported from Auschwitz to Belsen.

1944 Last transport for Auschwitz arrives in Birkenau.

1952 Clarence Birdseye sells first frozen peas.

1961 Soviet Union tests a 58 megaton hydrogen bomb named Tsar Bomba, the most powerful nuclear weapon ever detonated.

Old 10-31-19, 07:09 AM   #2977
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1917 World War I: Battle of Beersheba in southern Palestine - "last successful cavalry charge in history" performed by the 4th Australian Light Horse.

1918 Spanish flu-virus kills 21,000 people in the US in a single week.

1940 Battle of Britain, fought between the RAF and Luftwaffe over the English Channel and southern England, ends with a British victory.

1941 Prior to US joining WWII, German submarine U-552 torpedoes US destroyer Reuben James near Iceland.

1942 U-boats sink and damage 120 allied ships this month (659,457 tons)

2011 The world population reaches 7 billion inhabitants according to the United Nations.

Old 10-31-19, 10:46 AM   #2978
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

1517: Martin Luther posts his 95 theses denouncing the abuses of the Catholic church, particularly the sale of indulgences by the profit-minded Archbishop of Mainz, Germany thus starting the Protestant Reformation...by and by, I, a Congregationalist, would attend a small Lutheran college in Minnesota and occasionally participate in anti 'Nam war demonstrations whilst enjoying the 'indulgence' of a 1-J ( air cadet-not the customary 2-S draft deferment). Thankyou MartinBBY!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-31-19 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-31-19, 01:51 PM   #2979
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Lutherans are better than Catholic's as far as I can discern from having worked as a janitor for a Catholic church right next door to a Lutheran church. They would sing louder and better is all I really know, but having one man pretend to be God is not a wise move.

Anyway what I really wanted to point out is a very real oddity about Martin Luther marrying a defrocked nun.

Quote:
Katharina von Bora (29 January 1499 – 20 December 1552), after her wedding Katharina Luther, also referred to as "die Lutherin" ("the Lutheress"), was the wife of Martin Luther, German reformer and a seminal figure of the Protestant Reformation.
Hard to understand, but it is reported that Martin Luther had his wedding guest surround the bed as he did what grooms due to virgin brides consummate the marriage.

Strange, uh?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-19, 03:17 PM   #2980
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

We have a holiday today in some of Germany's more evangelic counties, newly introduced Reformation Day. Tomorrow there's Corpus Christi feast as a holiday for the more Catholic counties.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-19, 04:34 PM   #2981
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Lutherans are better than Catholic's as far as I can discern from having worked as a janitor for a Catholic church right next door to a Lutheran church. They would sing louder and better is all I really know, but having one man pretend to be God is not a wise move.

Anyway what I really wanted to point out is a very real oddity about Martin Luther marrying a defrocked nun.

Hard to understand, but it is reported that Martin Luther had his wedding guest surround the bed as he did what grooms due to virgin brides consummate the marriage.

Strange, uh?
NOT STRANGE AT ALL IV'E DEFROCKED MANY A LUTHEREß AS THEY SHRIEKED "OH MY GOD" AND FOLLOWING A DIET OF WORMS, DECLARED "HERE I STAND I CAN DO NO OTHER"! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_of_Worms AS FOR WITNESSING THE WEDDING NIGHT : WEDDINGS WERE LEGAL AFFAIRS, NOT ROMANTIC MATTERS, AND LEGAL CONSUMATION WAS TO BE ASCERTAINED TO INSURE THE LEGALITY OF UNION.... https://www.quora.com/In-medieval-times-were-newlyweds-watched-as-they-consummated-their-marriage
Quote:
The bedding ceremony refers to the wedding custom of putting the newlywed couple together in the marital bed before numerous witnesses, thereby completing the marriage. In most traditions the newlyweds were put in bed by their family, friends, and neighbors.
The purpose of the ritual was to establish the consummation of the marriage, either by actually witnessing the couple's first sexual intercourse or symbolically, by leaving before consummation. It symbolized the community's involvement in the marriage. The legally binding nature of the ceremony varied greatly from place to place and through time. Not until very recent times in Western cultures has this changed. Why? Because marriage has been considered since ancient times to be a contract between the families and the community (not the betrothed themseves). Love had nothing whatsoever to do with it.
Many times the man and woman had never met before their wedding day when the bride is “given away” by the head of her family to the husband’s family. In fact, a vestige of this custom lies in the present-day superstition that the husband should not see his wife-to-be in her bridal gown prior to the ceremony.
The reason for witnessing the conjugal act (and examining the virgin’s blood on the sheets) was that there needed to be witnesses who could attest to the fact if at some later date the marriage was contested by either party: a non-consummated marriage is null and void, and a non-virginal bride would make the marriage subject to annulment.
Point of interest: In the sacramental Churches of Christendom, marriage is the only sacrament of the Seven not performed by the clergy, as the bride and groom perform the marriage; the priest/minister is merely the witness who blesses the couple on behalf of the church.
NATURALLY THIS WAS FODDER FOR HUMOR AND SATIRE AS WELL...TWO THINGS TOTALLY FOREIGN TO MY OWN STERN PURITAN NATURE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedding_ceremony : < GEORGE III'S DAUGHTER, CHARLOTTE, ON HER WEDDING NIGHT- CONVEYED TO THE ROYAL BOUDOIR WITH POMP AND... CIRCUMCISION CA 1797.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-31-19 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-01-19, 07:47 AM   #2982
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1914 German-British naval battle at Coronel, Chile.

1918 Yugoslav battleship Viribus Unitis sunk by Italians.

1919 British Admiral David Beatty becomes First Sea Lord.

1939 First jet plane, Heinkel He 178, demonstrated to German Air Ministry.

1941 Japanese naval staff offiicers Suzuki & Maejima arrive at Pearl Harbour.

1952 "Ivy Mike", the first thermonuclear weapon to utilize the H-bomb design of Edward Teller and Stanislaw Ulam, is detonated in the Marshall Islands, Pacific Ocean.

1976 W German Generals Krupinski and Franke admit to having been Nazis.

Old 11-02-19, 07:27 AM   #2983
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1914 Great Britain declares the entire North Sea a military area: neutral ships will transit it at their own risk.

1916 Battle of Verdun: Fort Vaux reconquered from Germans by French troops without firing a shot.

1917 In WWI the 1st US soldiers are killed in combat: James Gresham, Thomas Enright and Merle Hay.

1943 Jewish ghetto of Riga Latvia is destroyed.

1944 Auschwitz begins gassing inmates.

1989 "Blackadder Goes Forth" final episode "Goodbyeee" airs starring Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson.

2008 British McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton finishes 4th in season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix at Autódromo José Carlos Pace to clinch his first F1 World Drivers Championship by 1 point from Felipe Massa.

Old 11-03-19, 08:36 AM   #2984
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1906 International Radiotelegraph Conference in Berlin selects "SOS" (· · · – – – · · ·) distress signal as the worldwide standard for help.

1918 Thousands of revolutionary German sailors with the fleet at Kiel mutiny, seize the city, and set up councils of workers and sailors.

1941 Hirohito's accord on Yamamoto's attack plan on Pearl Harbor fails.

1956 Suez Crisis: After several days of fighting, Israeli forces capture the Gaza Strip.

1967 Vietnam War: The Battle of Dak To begins, becoming one of the bloodiest battles of the war.

1970 US President Richard Nixon promises gradual troop removal of Vietnam.

2014 New York's 104-storey One World Trade Center officially opens 13 years after the September 11 attacks.

Old 11-04-19, 11:29 AM   #2985
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1862 Dr Richard Gatling patents Gatling machine gun in Indianapolis.

1921 The Sturmabteilung or SA (the "Brown Shirts") is formally established by Adolf Hitler.

1922 Howard Carter discovers tomb of Tutankhamun in Egypt.

2008 Barack Obama becomes the first African-American to be elected President of the United States, defeating Republican candidate John McCain.