Old 10-27-23, 03:13 PM   #91
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Hey everybody guess what?

Today the Sun is pointing a massive Coronal Hole right at Earth.

I’ve only read about the possibilities of it one day happening and it looks like today was that day. We could at least see a quite remarkable Aurora Borealis at worst a total collapse of the grid. Buckle -up!

Edit: could wipeout our atmosphere too maybe, naaah that would never happen.
You shouldn't by any chance have a link to this ?
I wanna read about it.
Or was it something they said in the news ?

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-23, 03:59 PM   #92
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
You shouldn't by any chance have a link to this ?
I wanna read about it.
Or was it something they said in the news ?

Markus
Space Weather Live is neat little phone app that should point you to the material you’re looking for. The app is what alerted me to the coronal hole. As well as two major CME’s not too long ago which thankfully ejected from other side of the Sun and away from Earth. All sorts of scary stuff going on out there.

There are other space weather apps but this one doesn’t require a subscription.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 10-27-23 at 04:22 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-23, 04:24 PM   #93
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Space Weather Live is neat little phone app that should point you to the material you’re looking for. The app is what alerted me to the coronal hole. As well as two major CME’s not too long ago which thankfully ejected from other side of the Sun and away from Earth. All sorts of scary stuff going on out there.

There are other space weather apps but this one doesn’t require a subscription.
Thank you

It made me search for Space weather live solar activity, online and there is a page with that name
https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity.html

And through this page I found this yt video

Here's the article on this coronal hole
https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/...ces-earth.html

Markus

Old 10-27-23, 04:43 PM   #94
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Yep no little sun spots there just one massive hole about the size of the Sun itself ready to let loose a bunch of DOOM, DOOM I SAY, DOOM

That’s one of the problems of light pollution too. People can’t look up in wonder and amazement to realize just how insignificant and small we really are in the grand scheme of things.

Old 10-27-23, 04:44 PM   #95
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Hey Rockstar.

You're posting a video from 2003 and a Physics Girl video from a year ago, where's the link from this Coronal Hole today then?. I'm not buying this nonsense until your source is revealed.
Old 10-27-23, 04:52 PM   #96
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Yes, the video is a year old, I just posted it because it describes a bit about the damage a Carrington Level Event Coronal Mass Ejection could cause. If a CME sling shots out that big arsed hole it could be kinda maybe bad. I would suggest buying a manual can opener and a bicycle to get around on.

Markus posted the link about the current Coronal Hole in the Sun and I mentioned the source of today’s alert (Space Weather Live app)

DOOM

Last edited by Rockstar; 10-27-23 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-27-23, 04:56 PM   #97
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Hey Rockstar.

You're posting a video from 2003 and a Physics Girl video from a year ago, where's the link from this Coronal Hole today then?. I'm not buying this nonsense until your source is revealed.
It was me who posted a yt video from 2003(I misread it I thought it was 2023)

Here is the article about this Coronal Hole facing earth
https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/...ces-earth.html

Markus

Old 10-27-23, 05:27 PM   #98
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

On a more serious note. It’s expected that up to a G1 geomagnetic storm will reach earth on the 29th. If the skies are clear up north y’all should see a pretty nice light show in the night sky.

Quote:
The G-scale used by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which rates the storm from G1 to G5 (i.e. G1, G2, G3, G4, G5 in order), where G1 is the weakest storm classification (corresponding to a Kp value of 5), and G5 is the strongest (corresponding to a Kp value of 9).
We are approaching the peak of solar maximum so I’d expect more storms. Especially with that big ol’ coronal hole facing us.

Last edited by Rockstar; 10-27-23 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-27-23, 05:48 PM   #99
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Our discussion about the Sun, made me recall the movie Knowing.

Markus

Old 10-27-23, 06:48 PM   #100
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Our discussion about the Sun, made me recall the movie Knowing.

Markus
I liked that movie.

Old 11-09-23, 10:58 PM   #101
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Nuke Nuclear War 'Doomsday' Clock Has Changed, Russian Physicist Says

Quote:
A Russian physicist has proposed moving the Doomsday Clock away from midnight, citing the global community's forceful reaction in opposition to Russian nuclear threats following its February 2022 invasion of Ukraine.

Moscow-trained physicist Pavel Podvig, who in 1995 headed the Russian Strategic Nuclear Forces Research Project, wrote Thursday for the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists that the symbolic clock that measures cataclysmic fears and cautions of worldwide demise should be dialed down to reflect the strong global response to Russian rhetoric.

On January 24, the Chicago-based nonprofit Atomic Scientists—composed of experts in the fields of nuclear risk, climate change, disruptive technologies and bioterrorism—moved the clock closer to midnight based on perceived nuclear tensions. The change to 90 seconds from 100 seconds represented the "closest to global catastrophe it has ever been."

Moving the clock 10 seconds closer to midnight was "largely, though not exclusively, because of the mounting dangers in the war in Ukraine," the Science and Security Board of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists explained at the time.

Prior to January, the clock remained at 100 seconds to midnight since 2020.

Podvig said the decision was correct at the time, writing that Russia "brought the nuclear risk to an entirely new level" with its invasion of Ukraine, which instantly garnered global attention and escalated fears of another World War.

He said Russia was responsible for keeping such fears in the mainstream, based on both rhetoric and policy decisions—such as its suspended participation in the Measures for the Further Reduction and Limitation of Strategic Offensive Arms, also known as the New START treaty.

In 2011, Russia and the United States agreed to a 10-year commitment that neither nation be allowed to deploy more than 1,550 strategic nuclear warheads. The agreement was extended an additional five years in 2021, though Russian President Vladimir Putin announced this past February that his nation's involvement was being put on hold.

Russia and the U.S. possess roughly 90 percent of the total global nuclear stockpile.

"From the very first day of the war, Russia made no secret of counting on its nuclear weapons to ensure that nobody would come to Ukraine's rescue," Podvig wrote. "Western countries have offered massive help to Ukraine anyway, making the prospect of a direct confrontation with Russia more real than it has been for decades. The Clock had to reflect this development."

But he now suggests, over 20 months into the Russia-Ukraine conflict, that the clock should again be moved back. He cites the strong response in opposition, not only by national bureaucrats but also by the general public.

No response was arguably more ardent than that of the nations involved in composing a statement against Russian nuclear aggression in June 2022 as part of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons held in Vienna.

"We are alarmed and dismayed by threats to use nuclear weapons and increasingly strident nuclear rhetoric," reads the statement in part. "We stress that any use or threat of use of nuclear weapons is a violation of international law, including the Charter of the United Nations.

"We condemn unequivocally any and all nuclear threats, whether they be explicit or implicit and irrespective of the circumstances.

Though the statement never mentioned Russia by name, Podvig argues that its omission provided a universal stance not against just one country but against the general use of nuclear weapons as a whole.

Similar declarations followed, including G20 leaders meeting in November 2022 in Bali and collectively referring to "the use or threat of use of nuclear weapons [as] inadmissible."

Podvig says the threshold for the use of any nuclear weapons is high "and rightly so" as the biggest factor to its detriment is the global agreement that nuclear weapons' integral use is to kill people.

"To ensure that nuclear weapons are never used again, world leaders and the public should first recognize the role of the consolidated, universal opposition to nuclear threats, acknowledge this opposition, and make sure it endures," he said.

"The Doomsday Clock is well positioned to do so. By moving its hands backward the next time it is set, even if a little, this message can be sent clearly and forcefully."
Jeeze!!! 10 extra seconds...from a Russian??!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-23, 06:22 AM   #102
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Every second counts, or so the saying goes.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-23, 12:07 PM   #103
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

A filament eruption yesterday launched an asymmetrical full halo coronal mass ejection towards our planet. The cloud of solar plasma is expected to arrive late on 11 November. Minor (G1) to moderate (G2) geomagnetic storm conditions are expected once the CME passes Earth.

They always say it’ll just be moderate impact.

Old 11-10-23, 05:13 PM   #104
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
A filament eruption yesterday launched an asymmetrical full halo coronal mass ejection towards our planet. The cloud of solar plasma is expected to arrive late on 11 November. Minor (G1) to moderate (G2) geomagnetic storm conditions are expected once the CME passes Earth.

They always say it’ll just be moderate impact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AktungBBY
We need to completely nuke the Gaza strip, while simultaneously dropping one on Teheran and Cairo(Mr Atta who masterminded the 9/11 attack was Egyptian-I have a long memory...) and serve notice to Putin's global 'intent by distraction'. The bombs dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 by WWI artillery captain Harry Truman were not intended for Hirohito as much as they were for Stalin and the post 'cold war...so every 80 years we need to repeat the message particularly to the aggravating communist factions. With MIT predicting the end of civilization by 2040, I mark it :17 years and speeding up. Too bad we don't have a detonation-rocket to turn the sun into a red giant and just end the farce over who's God is better; if one exists at all...moreover, at age 72. I don't give a rat's ass
A coronal mass ejection is what triggererd my solution to the current global situation in the Hamas War thread...along with the recent Parker Solar probe in the sun's plasma:< now we need one with serious 'tude! https://gizmodo.com/nasa-parker-sola...rst-1850852798

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-23, 04:24 PM   #105
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Oh boy more coronal holes, they’re popping up everywhere.

CORONAL HOLE ALERT! CORONAL HOLE ALERT! CORONAL HOLE ALERT!

A large coronal hole has just appeared over the E limb close to the equator (dark area). In about a week (assuming it survives) it will move into a geoeffective position and high-speed solar wind from it will likely impact the Earth causing geomagnetic storms.

The strength of our magnestosphere is down 25% due to the pole shift in progress. The grid is absolutely NOT prepared to take a major CME. Even IF a bit of work has been done to protect power plants and some power substations or trunk lines, it won't matter much because EVERY electric wire and circuit on Earth will fry.

With the excellerated weakening of the magnetosphere a CME of only moderate strength which would have had no real impact 10 years ago could send us into the realm of mad max. What happens on the Sun has a huge impact on all of the atmospheric layers and the Earth's crust.

HAVE NICE DAY EVERYONE

Last edited by Rockstar; 11-28-23 at 06:37 PM.