Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-11-12, 07:17 PM   #16
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halgarre View Post
I just smoked 4 whole chicken fryers, 5 pounds of beef jerky, 8 turkey legs and a rack of pork ribs day before yesterday.
Are you in Eastern Tennessee by any chance? I'm wondering if you might give a class - I have never been able to do whole fryers.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 07:22 PM   #17
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100

One of my relatives makes a steak that has been marinated overnight in a Guinness reduction and some other ingredients. He serves it atop spinach greens, with a healthy application of the beer sauce dribbled over top like A1 sauce. Holy cats! That's good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betonov View Post
I need to get an apron that has that on it
When's your birthday?
Old 06-11-12, 07:56 PM   #18
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halgarre View Post
Throwing a piece of meat on a grill is not BBQ. Growing up in the Appalachian Mountains, I've learned a lot from pitmasters and smokers. So when you asked for best marinade tips, it's like me asking what kind of car should I get?
Disclaimer: I'm not meaning to be rude or harsh. If it sounds that way I offer my apologies.

Here is a couple of questions:
Do you want a wet rub or marinade or a dry rub, think Carolina style and Memphis style.

Do you want a long cure or a I want to eat it for dinner tonight.

Do you like tangy/spicy or sweet/savory

Do you want a smoke flavor or grilled. (you can turn a grill into a smoker, well kinda)

I just smoked 4 whole chicken fryers, 5 pounds of beef jerky, 8 turkey legs and a rack of pork ribs day before yesterday. and I have a half chewed chicken and maybe 4 rib bones left. ( I didn't realize I had that many friends )

If I may offer one of the websites I use frequently to smoke, they have some valuable insight into smoking and grilling.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

I hope that helps. My wife bought me my smoker for my birthday and she says that was the best thing she could have ever got me. Since then eating at BBQ joints is like eating a store bought pecan pie, yea it looks and smells like Mom's, but it isn't.
Barbecuing is for some a lifestile.

I like a good steak that's between medium raw and well done.

I Like spicy food and I have been thinking of using Hickory woodchips to smoke my marinated steak*, next time we are barbecuing
(In our store you can buy bags with 1 kg with Hickory woodchips or cherries woodchips.

*Offcourse I will even try to smoke a steak who isn't marinated

But is Hickory the best woodchips to use if I want it to taste spicy or keep it spicy in it's flavor(If I have marinated it to have a spicy flavor)

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 08:25 PM   #19
Halgarre
Shore leave

Downloads: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
Are you in Eastern Tennessee by any chance? I'm wondering if you might give a class - I have never been able to do whole fryers.
I live just East of Cookville. I too had trouble with fryers and Cornish hens. It would either be cooked on the outside and raw at the bone or so dry when you lifted it it puffed into dust like a mummy undisturbed for 2,000 years.

I learned through trial and error and a lot of tips from the men and women on that smoke forum, think of them as the Subsim of smoking meat. to put my smoker on 225 F and stick the digital thermometer into the thigh, breast up and pulling the chicken at 170 F, wrapping it in aluminum foil and placing it into a cooler wrapped in a towel for 20-30 min. It will gain another 8-12 degrees resting.

One thing I would invest in is a digital thermometer or three with probes. I have 4. one for each group of meat and one for the ambient temp inside the smoker.
Halgarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 08:56 PM   #20
Halgarre
Shore leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Barbecuing is for some a lifestile.

I like a good steak that's between medium raw and well done.

I Like spicy food and I have been thinking of using Hickory woodchips to smoke my marinated steak*, next time we are barbecuing
(In our store you can buy bags with 1 kg with Hickory woodchips or cherries woodchips.

*Offcourse I will even try to smoke a steak who isn't marinated

But is Hickory the best woodchips to use if I want it to taste spicy or keep it spicy in it's flavor(If I have marinated it to have a spicy flavor)

Markus
There is a website that since I've found it I haven't bought pre-mixed spices since. Think of it as a one stop shop for all your spice needs.
http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Spice...piceBlends.pdf

As for what wood will make it spicy, wood doesn't make food spicy (I may be wrong. If there is a wood out there that does, I would like to know so I can be a better cook) it just enhances the food. If I may add another link this is a good place to build your knowledge on woods to smoke by.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/g...-to-smoke-food

As for my personal preference, and my better half's. I do a dry rub and let it rest in the fridge for a minimum of 12 hours, as my 13 year old son would say "They (spices and meat) are talking and getting to know one another". For my wood when I'm cooking beef I use a 70-30 mix of hickory and mesquite OR a 70-30 of Jack Daniels (http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Tennes.../dp/B000QI9VM4) wood chips and mesquite.

I didn't put a rub down because as ya'll well know wives don't want the same flavor on everything and she challenges me to surprising her with flavors, she will say sweet/savory or hot/spicy and I do my Iron Chef impression.

If you have anymore questions, let me know.

Edit: typos and clarifying wood choice for cooking beef.

Last edited by Halgarre; 06-13-12 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-12-12, 03:08 PM   #21
Seth8530
Captain

Downloads: 17

Im also from east Tennessee and currently my favorite marinades are red wine vinegar based. What I did for some chicken drumsticks i baked ( I know now bbq, but I was in a pinch) was set them in a dish and slathered them with red wine vinegar. Covered them with tony sacherets Cajun season. garlic, salt, pepper, curry, paprika, rosemary, thyme... and a few other odds and ends.. Let it sit about 24 hours.. Let it bake at 350 for about an hour.. Uncovered, baked at 400 for about 20 mins
Old 06-12-12, 03:15 PM   #22
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashkart View Post
When's your birthday?
February 28th

Guiness reduction

So is that guiness reduced in foam or boiled so it's reduced in alcohol
Or something completely else
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 11:08 AM   #23
Halgarre
Shore leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashkart View Post
One of my relatives makes a steak that has been marinated overnight in a Guinness reduction and some other ingredients. He serves it atop spinach greens, with a healthy application of the beer sauce dribbled over top like A1 sauce. Holy cats! That's good stuff!
I've used that before, I got to say it is awesome, If your a fan of stouts.
Old 06-13-12, 12:27 PM   #24
SilentOtto
Engineer

Downloads: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
If you have a vacuum marinater - use that.
A vacuum marinater? For cooking in outer space? (j/k!) Now seriously what is that?
SilentOtto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 10:06 PM   #25
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
We need to get Neal's Dad to post here.
Today we had BBQ and banana pudding, I can barely move now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbqpop.jpg (97.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg bbqmom.jpg (99.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-09-12, 02:29 AM   #26
Halgarre
Shore leave

That's some good looking food. Is that ribs at the top? That gentleman is seriously guarding that BBQ. That's a great looking pudding, If I could get my wife to make more then one Banana Pudding a year I would be a happy camper.

Tags
bbq, pudding