SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-09, 02:09 PM   #16
alexsmith
Loader

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
There is one. One of the buttons along the right edge of the screen is the weather report. This gives the wind speed and direction, the wave height, etc.
Yeah. I know I mean - an icon DISPLAING weather - like in a weather reports, you know - "light rain", "heavy rain", "fog", "high waves", "low visibility" - indicating the overall weather conditions affecting the battle.

Quote:
This is quite useful in DG, too. It's a question of geometry. Suppose your DD is going parallel to an enemy line. The best gun target is the one on the broadside directly across from the DD. However, the best torpedo target is the ship next astern of the gun target, due to torpedoes having to lead the target a lot due to their slow speed.
You mean - on ths same course? To fire at the pre-last ship to hit the last? It's a bit tricky, isn't it? More chance to miss at all

Quote:
The reason that your ship changes her torpedo target is because you gave it a target that was impossible to hit, and which will never apparently become possible to hit. The ship knows, however, that you want it to launch torpedoes and that it probably won't live much longer, so it picks a target it CAN hit, viewing torpedoes as a "use them or lose them" thing.
This means computer knows something I don't know - about when and where that ship will sink? Great! So instead of executing exact order computer decides to do what itself think is better! This explains while sometimes ships leave their line and start drawing circles or begin "avoid collision" manoeuvre when no visible collision expected - computer just know what I don't! It would better avoid enemy gunshells

Quote:
The predicted impact point...
So, what happens if I decide to change course? What if I predict another point of impact? What if I plan an attack - which my soldiers don't perform cause they have they own plans?

What you've just described works perfect for automatic torpeding! But in "manual mode" - which is quite suitable for DDs - it works against player plans! Because DDs often have not more than one chance to fire - and if computer begins to switch targets or not to launch torpedoes according to "predicted circumstances" - I don't even know what I'm doing here

Quote:
The best way to use torpedoes, therefore, is to approach the target on a parallel but opposite course.
I usually do it exactly the same. Althouth sometimes I try to attack damaged slow-moving target from back - I mean - on a parallel course of couse. I think it's also suitable position - but AI thinks opposite

Quote:
What I like to do is have my DDs move in line astern more or less perpendicular to the target's course, then turn simultaneously for a head-on approach. This puts some of the flotilla on both sides of the target, leaving it no place to run when it tries to dodge the torpedoes .
Yeah, it would be great also if DDs could be parachuted from the high - right to both sides of target

Quote:
You just need to work on the timing of giving the launch order. Only give it as the DDs are approaching the point you want to launch from, so that by the times the tubes swing onto the target, you're in the right place. It's not that hard to do.
But what about training the target? When I give order to target - DDs just start to PREPARE their torpedoes only! And to the time they become ready either target is gone or DD itself is already destroyed. That's what I'm talking about - set target before the launch to aim - and launch torpedoes only when the best moment achived! This is sometimes tricky with current controls...
alexsmith is offline   Reply With Quote