Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-23, 03:53 PM   #4066
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I just saw this. I'm glad you and your family are ok, Glynn. Sorry to hear of your car but at least you and your family are safe. I hope you are able to get your car repaired and you're on your way.
Looks as though the car is maybe going to be repairable - just waiting to get a courtesy car sorted out. A lot of aggravation this, when there's so much else I need to be dealing with
Old 06-20-23, 05:53 AM   #4067
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I call it 'The joys of motoring' Glynn

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-23, 11:49 AM   #4068
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon9 the joys of motoring indeed!

Just like in Napa county! My daughter's wreck two blocks from our home during the Covid crisis cost me $23K in Subaru replacement after insurance paid $6K for the wreck; but my daughter eventually got $78K after two years for 'pain and suffering' for steering wheel airbag that broke her wrist as she swerved left; requiring pin sugery/removal and therapy...the old guy who'd pulled out from a sun blinded side street (age 72?!! ) manfully admitted fault and also rode in the ambulance as his blood pressure was alarming. He also lived two blocks away. Amazingly, I was able to drive the wreck to the shoulder for the towtruck hitchup to the wreckyard!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-20-23 at 09:36 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-23, 12:38 PM   #4069
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Material can be replaced, human life cannot

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-23, 06:13 AM   #4070
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I was expecting it - our car has also been written off owing to a bent rear axle. Seems now to be a matter of getting through the various remaining formalities to find out how much we're going to get; it won't buy us a new car for sure but, as Markus suggests, it could have been far worse
Old 06-25-23, 06:57 AM   #4071
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Yesterday was hiking day for me, I took the train to Natrup, which is two stations before Osnabrück and one station behind Lengerich, and hiked from there crisscross for 9 hours over about 35 km over field paths, through smallest forests and across meadows and along hidden paths to Hasbergen, Hellern, Rubbenbruchsee, and finally to the old town of Osnabrück. There I got on the train, feeling pretty much shot and more dead than alive, and headed back to Münster. Every muscle below the hip hurts, blisters I could prevent by appropriate prophylaxis, but feet and practically every joint from the hip down hurts. 56 years feels just different than 26, especially if you approach such tours without prior acclimatization and shorter training tours... Today I must atone, but it was a nice and almost perfect day yesterday...

Strange thing is after such exhaustion I may fall asleep easily after shower and lots of dirnking (5+ litres yesterday...), but after one hour or one and a half I wake up again, still feeling exhausted, but cannot sleep again any time soon. I just cannot sleep when gpoing to bed early in the evening (I roam around until 3 a.m. in the morning, usually).

What helps tremendously is having salt during the tour. I take emptied Magnesium supplements capsules and fill them with salt, four over the whole tour, plus Magnesium, too. Taking thse durign a break is indeed re-energizing, the head gets clearer again. Lots of drinks, too. No eating stuff, I just do not need it, and I have no appetite on the tour. I don't want to dramatise or exaggerate the salt effect, but it is definitely noticeable. Plus lots of salt before leaving, and when i was back home.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-25-23 at 07:09 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-23, 08:23 AM   #4072
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I was expecting it - our car has also been written off owing to a bent rear axle. Seems now to be a matter of getting through the various remaining formalities to find out how much we're going to get; it won't buy us a new car for sure but, as Markus suggests, it could have been far worse
I don't envy you that Glynn....my cars value is within £100 of what I paid for it almost four years ago.

Old 06-29-23, 11:21 AM   #4073
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Over the weekend, my lady and I had to say goodbye to a beloved cat. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. Because of some terrible care by a veterinarian clinic, Tommy's cancer went un-diagnosed until it was far too late. We had an appointment to get a sonogram the day before Tommy was put down. Tommy by that point was in a bit of discomfort and the time came to put him down. We weren't ready to say goodbye and neither was Tommy earlier. I thought having more time with him would make it easier to say goodbye but it wasn't.

Tommy stopped sleeping with me for about 10 days before we had him put down and was a little withdrawn. He had his good days and bad. As a parting gift, Tommy and I were up at 2 in the morning and he came in and slept with us, not that we got any sleep the day we had him put down. He spent the previous evening with my lady, also saying goodbye. He had a few good day's with his animal siblings / family just looking out the window and watching the wild life here in our screen / sun room.

An older gentleman that lived close by also lost his White West Highland terrier. She was a sweet dog as well. My lady and I bought a big bag of bacon flavored treats just for her when she visited, which was often. The gentleman was 92 at the time and is still with us. He was in a truck accident and was in a rehab center. He worried what would become of his dog in the event he passed. My lady and I told him his dog would have a good home with us and not to worry. In many ways, she was our dog too although we didn't own her. She had cancer and had to be put down as well. That was hard for us as well.

This past week hasn't been any easier and perhaps harder with regret that we trusted the Veterinarian to provide a good level of care for our boy only to find that trust was misplaced.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-23, 11:52 AM   #4074
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

^ Even if you try not to, you get addicted to your four legged friend. NO not friend they become family member.

You never get over with it. The last farewell to your four legged family member. Remember the good and funny times you had with them.

My cat is almost 12 years old and she doesn't live forever. I would be glad if she lived another 3-5 years more, before I have to put her to eternal sleep or she dies of old age.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-23, 12:40 PM   #4075
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Sorry to learn of your losses CW. It's never easy losing a loved one

Old 07-02-23, 11:51 AM   #4076
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

So sad for you, CW - I do know how you're feeling. I would never have another cat now - watching the last one curled up in his bed, knowing he'd never wake up again, was just heartbreaking

Ours also seemed to change their behaviour just before the end, but I got to sit on our bench to watch the sun go down with Tansy - she came and sat beside me, unaware that this would be the last time, and we just sat quiet until she'd had enough and disappeared across the garden
Old 07-02-23, 12:46 PM   #4077
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

...we're monitoring the slowing down of our last cat, Penelope, or 'Ms. P' as she is affectionatly known. She sleeps most of the day in heated pads or sunshine windowed locations but still demands attention at age 14. The other 3 are on the mantle in their cremation caskets; I 'spect 'P' will be the last of our pampered felines. I feed 'em, clip 'em comb 'em, skritch 'em, and manage the fetid catbox; but they always prefer my wife's adoration to mine??!.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-23, 04:38 AM   #4078
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Very sad to hear of this Commander Wallace. It has been a reminder about our cat Max we had to put down in october last year, also because of cancer.
Like in your Tommy's case the cancer had not been diagnosed early enough and correctly although we had been visiting the veterinarian several times.
He sometimes hissed when biting on some food like he had pain in the jaw, which was diagnosed as a bad tooth.
We do not exactly know how old he was (got him from a farm where some sick people obviously had fun to torture cats and other animals), I guess it must have been around 12-14.
After this we made the decison to not get another cat, except in case of an emergency.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-23, 08:15 AM   #4079
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Trying

I'm trying like hell to get readers for my writing!

https://www.authorsden.com/mikeraymond

It isn't about money.

If you want an e-book for free, just send me a dm.
Old 07-03-23, 09:23 AM   #4080
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

I well and truly appreciate the sentiments, gentlemen. I know there are a good number of animal lovers here. we have had conversations in the forums and of course, the many threads and posts on good animal stories and funny animal picture threads. We have always had dogs as well but with odd hours and travel, It would have been unfair to have a dog, under the circumstances. It hurt losing them as well. Friends that are close by also have horses and I'm very attached to them as well. I'm sure like many of you, our animals are family, not pets.

@ Catfish. I thought of Max and your family when we lost Tommy as you had mentioned him. I know it was a huge loss to you and your wife. Deepest sympathies to you both on your loss. I know how tough it can be.

@Markus. I hope you enjoy many more years with your four legged friend. I know your pets are family too. She is lucky to have you.

@ Eichhörnchen. You had mentioned pets before. I well remember, The pictures you painted with the cats and cows too. Your Spitfire and Me-262 and military paintings are awesome. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I enjoy your nature pictures just as much, in these uncertain times.

@ Aktung. Enjoy Ms P and your others as I know you and the missus already do. Our other cats prefer my lady over me, I think. I'm their second " bestest " person they know but I'm still on the bottom of the list.

@ Jim. As always, thank you my friend. I well and truly appreciate it.

We have two cats left. They are brother and sister and had severe issues when we got them. I strongly suspect they had both been abused in some way when they were kittens. They were 6 months old when we got them. The big male had severe separation issues and the female was nasty and would bite. They miss Tommy and keep looking for him.

Using Ivan Pavlov's work in Psychology and conditioned responses as the basis for reprogramming them, I was able to straighten out the both of them, but it took years. The female is the nicest cat now as is the male and they are both happy and well adjusted. Both practically live out in the sun room in the warm summers months and want to go out in the winter too, which we don't allow.

I hope everyone here that has furry friends have many more enjoyable years with them.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote