Closed Thread

Old 06-10-19, 05:10 PM   #10186
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
BBC are clearly making that move as their funding is drying up.
Bloated Bias Crap has for far two long got away saying its a TV licence what a load of crap its a bbc fee. Well I see MayBot is disappointed in there move as she will be heading for the sofa.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 06-11-19, 05:36 AM   #10187
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Oh god its going to Mr bumble isn't it.
Well, with the promise of tax cuts for the rich he's done exactly what he did with the promise of £350 million a week to the NHS.....stole a lead.

Either way, we should know the eventual outcome in a couple of weeks and the eventual winner being announced in the second last week of July.

The excitement is simply too much

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 06-11-19, 06:30 AM   #10188
STEED
Lucky Jack

I hear lynton crosby is running the Boris campaign if this is true then we are screwed. Yes that lynton crosby suspect poll rigger helped Doggy Dave to win the GE.

PLEASE DO NOT ELECT BORIS THE RESULT WILL BE A VICTORY FOR STEPTOE AT THE NEXT GENERAL ELECTION.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 06-11-19, 06:34 AM   #10189
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252
Uploads: 0

Quote:
...........Also doesn't help they regularly get accused of bias by more fringey partisans from both sides of the spectrum. (e.g those too far gone to remember how objectivity works)
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Bloated Bias Crap has for far two long got away saying its a TV licence what a load of crap its a bbc fee.
Well, there's no requirement to pay the licence fee if you don't use any BBC services. Just avoid anything the BBC do. Besides a lot of their programming ends up on freeview anyway. And PBS America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Well, with the promise of tax cuts for the rich he's done exactly what he did with the promise of £350 million a week to the NHS.....stole a lead.

Either way, we should know the eventual outcome in a couple of weeks and the eventual winner being announced in the second last week of July.

The excitement is simply too much
To be partially paid for by an increase in National Insurance, no less. However, his proposed cuts only apply in England, Wales and Northern Ireland as Income Tax is devolved to Holyrood.

In short, it appears that Boris is fully prepared to wage economic warfare against the SNP to force Scotland back into line....

Looks like he's been swatting up on what happened prior to the Act of Union in 1707 - let me introduce the "Alien Act of 1705": LINK.

Quote:
The Alien Act provided that Scottish nationals in England were to be treated as aliens (foreign nationals), and estates held by Scots would be treated as alien property, making inheritance much less certain. It also included an embargo on the import of Scottish products into England and English colonies – about half of Scotland's trade, covering goods such as linen, cattle and coal. There was also an embargo on the export of arms, ammunition, and horses to Scotland so that they could not raise an army and invade England.

Add that to the economic hurt the ruling elites suffered after the failure of the Darien Scheme and you can see why that segment of Scottish society suddenly started supporting Union with England.....

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 06-11-19, 06:45 AM   #10190
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR1 View Post

Well, there's no requirement to pay the licence fee if you don't use any BBC services. Just avoid anything the BBC do. Besides a lot of their programming ends up on freeview anyway. And PBS America.

Mike.
Anything that can display that you can watch means you need a licence. Yes folks the BBC will be looking into smart phones and tablets as reported on the radio last night. It's about time the government of the day kicked the BBC in their money bags. I am stopping there as you all can see..I HATE THE BBC.

Back to politics.

Old 06-11-19, 06:49 AM   #10191
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Day two of the leadership race and all the candidates are divided on what day/date we leave the EU...

God help us

Old 06-11-19, 06:53 AM   #10192
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Day two of the leadership race and all the candidates are divided on what day/date we leave the EU...

God help us
Just shows they are not fit for the job, I would not trust any of them to make me a cup of coffee.

Old 06-11-19, 06:55 AM   #10193
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The coffee and tea for that matter is quite good in Parliament.

The ales in the Strangers Bar are even better though.

Old 06-11-19, 07:41 AM   #10194
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

So the quitters are back.

Was not Mr Boris J. the first to quit, when the "referendum" which wasn't one was won? After blocking and harrassing Mrs May, does he think the party or people will now stand in for him just of all?
What exactly does he intend to do now apart from wrecking the NHS, creating better conditions for the rich and trying to blackmail 27 other nations? Really..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 06-11-19, 09:23 AM   #10195
MGR1
Grey Wolf

A bit more on Johnson's tax pledge from a Scottish perspective:

A Boris Johnson victory spells trouble for Ruth Davidson

and

Scots face paying hundreds of pounds more to fund Boris Johnson plan for English income tax cut

The Telegraph article is paywalled, but there is a discussion about it on Reddit.

To clarify the taxation question, earned Income Tax collection (PAYE, etc) is devolved to Holyrood and it has the power to alter the rates and bands, but does not have control of the Tax Free allowance level, which is still set and controlled by Westminster. Unearned Income Tax collection (shares, bonds, savings etc) is reserved to Westminster. National Insurance is likewise still under Westminster's control.

A complicated brew, but that's what the current devolution setup is.

Ross "SNP Gain" Thomson's reasons for supporting Boris: LINK.

Personally, Thomson's writing guff. Boris only cares for what will get him into office, nothing else.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Old 06-11-19, 10:14 AM   #10196
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR1 View Post
Personally, Thomson's writing guff. Boris only cares for what will get him into office, nothing else.
Precisely

Old 06-11-19, 11:45 AM   #10197
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Aaaannnnddddd.... we can add generational warfare, courtesy of Reddit!

The Daily Mail (and other British right-wing newspapers) has done to our parents what our parents thought video games would do to us

Although, this post does have a point, even if you disagree with the premise:

Quote:
Critical thinking skills.

The people you are describing grew up in a world very different from today. Their necessity to have critical thinking skills was not needed as they had just a couple of TV channels, journalists were noble, the news was worthy, the textbook was right, you never questioned the teacher, very few had a degree or even college education, etc. They were taught to absorb information but not to critically think about it.
e.g. there are 9 planets in the solar system. FACT. Remember it. Don't question it.
The next generation grew up with 24hr information overload, hundreds of cable TV channels, the internet was born, sensationalist news crept in, amateur journalists blogged, lad mags & the Sunday sport told us fibs, and we were taught to question the teacher and challenge authority as they might be wrong. Most went to college and many ended up in University. As a result, they were taught to critically think to help decipher the right from the wrong and evaluate the evidence. The current generation can do this from primary school and in real-time.
e.g. there used to be the belief by many that there were 9 planets but Pluto is a small rock and if we counted all the small rocks we could end up with lots of 'planets'. Today, it is widely accepted that there are 8 planets and lots of 'dwarf planets' like Pluto. More could be discovered in the future. Some people think the Earth is flat.
In general, the 'baby boomer' generation find all this critical thinking confusing and unnecessary. It complicates the 'facts' and distorts what they think is reality or common sense. All of these confusing viewpoints from so-called experts, all contradicting one another and totally against what they were taught in school/work/the pub. They tend to still think there is one, authoritative source of facts - the media/Government. They tend to look up towards rich, privately educated people for leadership and instructions on what to do and they tend to do it without question.
This is why the media, facebook and posh suits from Oxbridge have such influence over that particular generation - for this is what they were taught, to accept the word from authority and obey.
And the 'millennial' is the polar opposite.
Rather self centered, but it applies not just elements within the Baby Boomer Generation but ALL generational cohorts.

The ability to sift through a lot of information and weigh up the pros and cons for yourself does take a degree of self training that quite a few people, regardless of age, sorely lack.

Mike.

Old 06-11-19, 12:10 PM   #10198
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Nahh, anecdotally I dont think theres too much in that, I know plenty of Boomers with excellent Critical thinking skills, they may have not had cable and internet growing up. but they are generally better read than many of us younger Genx/ Millenial whipper snappers.
Though admittedly they tend to be a little bit more oblivious to certain things related to the culture war. They might read alot of old legacy media but the generally have a good nose for what take with a pinch of salt.

My own Boomer mother is a bit of borderline Marxist, but even she can see that say Guardian's Opinion section is 90% crazy talk. (And I know a few fellow gen X'ers who almost lap up that nonsense with out question.)
Hard to speak for Staunch Right wingers as I don't meet too many down here in London.

Your average Millennial/ GenXer my read alot online, but if they never leave their media bubble or circle jerk of politically like minded mates, that reading is pretty worthless.

Last edited by JU_88; 06-11-19 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-12-19, 04:00 AM   #10199
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

Quote:

God help us

Yes its very frighting as to whats going to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Just shows they are not fit for the job, I would not trust any of them to make me a cup of coffee.
Or run a bath, or a you know what in a brewery...
Old 06-12-19, 05:17 AM   #10200
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Johnson and Javid kick off with their leadership campaigns today and I know which one I prefer.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics