SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-19, 01:51 PM   #1
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
Support Automatic Targeting vs Manual Targeting

I have been playing with Manual Targeting only during a realistic career path.
I am wondering what the difference is between auto and manual?

So far in Manual, I have position lock, and the button on the TDC for Real Targeting Updates, so what is missing when selecting Auto Targeting vs Manual?
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 06:12 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirich View Post
I have been playing with Manual Targeting only during a realistic career path.
I am wondering what the difference is between auto and manual?

So far in Manual, I have position lock, and the button on the TDC for Real Targeting Updates, so what is missing when selecting Auto Targeting vs Manual?
this topic can/will elicit some very strong opinions on Subsim.
i am an auto-target-Kaleun. the thought here is that i have trained my men to work as a team and as such there is no need for me to do every task necessary to fire a torpedo.
i cannot tell you the differences because i have never used straight manual targeting.
auto-targeting works like this: you detect your prey, calculate their base course, position yourself ahead and to one side of the base course giving yourself a shot at your enemy's side somewhere between 70 and 120 degrees (AOB). raise the scope, find your target, lock the scope on the target, fire the torpedo, lower the scope, time the shot, move in for your next shot or move out for your next kill, depending on the result.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 09-03-19 at 09:16 PM.
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 07:21 PM   #3
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Main difference is range, AOB, and speed is automatically done for you with automatic targeting. Manual targeting you get the bearing only, have to estimate and calculate the rest. I use automatic simply because AOB is hopeless for me, 10 degrees starboard looks exactly the same as 30. If you can't estimate AOB within 5 degrees then the speed and course are just guesswork. In any case there simply isn't enough time for one guy to do all that, that's why they have a tracking team in the first place.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 07:42 PM   #4
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75

Ah that explains it.
I have to set range and aob.
Those two aren’t so hard to do if you track the target a bit and plot marks on the map. Then use the protractor for aob.
It doesn’t give you any time for a rapid shot though which is pretty realistic.
For multiple targets I either estimate the second target or if there is time I plot out the second target when I plot out the first. Then minor adjustment are needed for the following shots.

Thanks.
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 08:15 PM   #5
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

I'm an auto targeter. Like KaleunMarco said, I have a crew to do all the work for me. I have taken the time to learn manual targeting, and I got okay at it. I just prefer the more simple (for me) approach. There is one major drawback with auto-targeting. In poor visibility conditions, the periscope won't lock on.
Old 09-04-19, 10:17 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

With manual targeting you can have the TDC calculate the speed and AOB/Course, after you enter two range/bearing pairs with significant time in between. There should be a red button on the thing to let it calculate a solution. (it's been ages since I played RFB 2, and other mods may make a difference in how it looks) So, at the least you need to be able to do the range measurement thing with the stadimeter. Then once the calculation is done you set the course/AOB dial and speed dial accordingly to the result.

After that you can engage the position keeper to make it predict the current position based on progression from the entered data you provided. But if you were in error, then it too will be in error ofcourse.

Always provide a final bearing and range before shooting to sync up the old solution (or whatever the position keeper thinks it is) to where it actually is as observed.

Auto-targeting is as it is. Point, lock, and the bearing, distance, speed and AOB/Course is set perfectly to direct the torpedo. But you may not yet be in a favourable position to fire from. Some may accept or prefer that automatic precision. Others like the extra challenge. To each their own.