SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-12, 05:22 PM   #1
gianluca62
Swabbie

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
RFB 2.0

I'm a newcomer in this wonderful forum, and after a long time spent to sunk ships in Silent Hunter III I decided to install SH IV+U Boat Missions. I downloaded and installed (with JSGME) Real Fleet Boat (RFB) 2.0, and now I wish to know a list of mods RFB compatibles. Could anyone help me? Because I'm interested overall to german submarine war, and I know there is at least a mod (Operation Monsun) german dedicated, could someone help me to install the "perfect" mods collection that improves the german player experience? Thank you in advance!
Gianluca
gianluca62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 09:34 AM   #2
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianluca62 View Post
...I'm interested overall to german submarine war...
Then you shouldn't mix it with RFB, Real Fleet Boat.

Search for MultiSH4 and use this in multiple installs of your Silent Hunter.

You'll get nothing but trouble ahead, if you mix the mods... so make a seperate install for German side and US side.

Happy Hunting!
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 10:23 AM   #3
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Well you already answered your own question Operation Monsun is the mod to go with if you have SH4 and are interested in the German side.The newer version of Om does not support running with RFB or TMO so you really have no need for RFB if you are wanting to play OM.

OM has a very good amount of mods included with it and it also comes with several very good optional mods. OM with OMEGU is your go to package for Silent Hunter 4 focusing on U-boats.

RFB and OM are two separate "mega mods" the reason that OM dropped support for running RFB or TMO at the same time was because those two mods conflict with what OM does.So just grab OM and OMEGU and run that alone you'll have all that you need to cover the Germans.Some people do run a separate sound effects mod not sure the name of it though.

You do not have to make separate installs though you can also simply run each one separately in JSGME and save yourself a ton of hard drive space just have a a little zip drive(or a larger external drive) and transfer you the mods that you are not running onto it and delete the one on your PC save a ton of space.I only usually run OM or TMO so file confusion is not a real issue for me.

MultiSH4 is an option but it requires some extra hard drive space I think or maybe it does the same thing I do manually which honestly seems to be easier to me but it does make organisation easier if you are running several different mega mods.

Anyway so long as you either manage your mods yourself which is not too hard simply only play as the US side if running RFB or TMO and use OM for the German side(it does a btter job than the others anyway TMO has no German focus) you should not have any trouble mixing things up because the save files place a star emblem for Americans and and a cross for German careers.I do not really see a need to have multi installs of SH4(if just running two different "mega mods") to honest you should not have any troubles so long as you completely remove each separate "mega mod" via JSGME before installing a separate "mega mod" though JSGME but you could use MultiSH4 to manage the saves for the one install if you wanted.

Last edited by Stealhead; 03-02-12 at 10:52 AM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 02:09 PM   #4
gianluca62
Swabbie

Downloads: 27

Thank you for your help, guys. Because I'm short of hard disk space, I intend to follow your idea, Stealhead: if I have well understood, I have to uninstall (with JSGME) RFB 2.0, copy in external HD the mod, delete the mod in MODS folder, copy in the folder MODS OM and OMEGU mods, install them with JSGME, and so on every time I wish to change party, having no problems with save games because them are labeled with differents symbols.
When using RFB, what is (or are) better mods combinations that improves the US player experience?
gianluca62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 11:34 PM   #5
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Yes you have the right idea just be sure that you copy and paste the file onto your external drive the first time so you don't lose it and have to D/L again.

The save games of course will show up so either only play as the US side with RFB or add something like RFB to name when you save in game so you don't get files confused because no matter the mod a German career save gets the German cross.

Although to be frankly honest if you run OM there is really no reason to play RFBs version of the U-boat missions OM which the name implies covers the same Pacific and Indian Ocean operations as U-boat missions in much greater detail.Just be sure to add the optional mod OM_Pac_Env that comes with the OMEGU package make sure you only run it or the one that adds the Mediterranean you can only run one at a time in JSGME.

I dont have a ton of experience with RFB to be honest you'd have to ask that question in the RFB thread.The other competing mega mod TMO is a bit more up to date than RFB is out of the box so to speak if you are very nit picky about having the most accurate manual targeting TMO comes with the latest mods that improve this.If you have played GWX or even stock SHIII you wont have to much trouble with the AI which is what some people seem to be reluctant to try TMO because they think the AI will be too hard.

I would try TMO and RFB with no extra mods see which one you like the most cases people tend to love one and dislike the other.For a rough guide generally speaking OM and TMO are similar in "feel".
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote