Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-04-20, 11:06 AM   #181
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post

Tom Cotton is a Harvard Law Graduate, a decorated military veteran who served combat tours in Irak and Afghanistan and the current junior Senator from Arkansas.

This the same Tom Cotton who was passed over by Trump two (2) times as Secretary Of Defense (instead, the job went Mattis first, then Esper) and once as Secretary Of State (job went to Pompeo)? Is it a coincidence Cotton's glowing support of Trump suddenly pops up now that Defense Secretary Esper appears to be on shaky ground for publicly opposing Trump, and the job Cotton was passed over for twice may again be open..?...

Just saying...

<O>
Old 06-04-20, 11:14 AM   #182
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

My dad came up to us- my brothers, my mom, and I- yesterday while eating dinner and he said to all of us at the dinner table, "Kids, what we are going through is a historic time for both the US and the world. Coronavirus is affecting the whole world at this moment and something like this has not happened since the Spanish Flu Outbreak. We have not seen anything like this on this scale for a while. In our country, people are wanting (now this is what he said, not sure if it lines up with your guy's opinions) "Police brutality to stop" and "Black people to be treated better". This is like the 1960s all over again which your grandparents are going through again. This is a historic time for us."

I'm pretty sure he was making that up in his mind while he was working. At the dinner table, we got into a conversation over the stuff happening in this world. I cannot wait for these times to end and life to get back to normal.

Wishing that every member here on Subsim stays well and safe! Maintain your silent run!

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 11:45 AM   #183
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
This the same Tom Cotton who was passed over by Trump two (2) times as Secretary Of Defense (instead, the job went Mattis first, then Esper) and once as Secretary Of State (job went to Pompeo)? Is it a coincidence Cotton's glowing support of Trump suddenly pops up now that Defense Secretary Esper appears to be on shaky ground for publicly opposing Trump, and the job Cotton was passed over for twice may again be open..?...

Just saying...

<O>
Has nothing to do with that...Cotton and Cruz are positioning themselves for 2024.
Old 06-04-20, 11:45 AM   #184
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

@ Platapus

Thank you for your answer to my question.

Did it answer my question ?

To be honest, not quite, there were some words or sentence in those quotes you posted I really couldn't get the hang of.

Your answer also made me remember a very old issue on Danish news program which was exactly in the evening on Tuesday 15 April 1986.

It was the main story in the news this day and following days.

I remember some of what this Danish journalist said to us the viewer.

From memory

"An American president has the authority to give an order of attack to his military forces anywhere in the world.
He must, however, notify the speaker of the house. The president is not without responsibility.
Also remember that he (the journalist) was asked if the President also had the power to declare war on another country.
Here was the answer:
No, the president cannot do this, it's only the Congress who has to power to do so."

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 06-04-20 at 11:55 AM.
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 01:26 PM   #185
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post

Just saying...

<O>

Here I agree with you. Anyone who opposes Trump will most likely be relieved of their job etc. Kinda like a dictator!

If you want a job that you've been wanting for a long time, you might also wanna start supporting or praising the person who controls who gets that job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
James Mattis Denounces President Trump, Describes Him as a Threat to the Constitution
In an extraordinary condemnation, the former defense secretary backs protesters and says the president is trying to turn Americans against one another.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...n=the-atlantic

James Mattis is a veteran of 44 years in the USMC, the former Secretary of Defence, former Commander of the United States Central Command, and former Commander of the United States Joint Forces Command.
Honestly, I've felt that way for a long time. Trump isn't doing anything good for our country IMO. We should've kicked him out of office so we can have a president who can actually lead people.

Man, I wish that FDR was president at this time.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 01:36 PM   #186
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
We should've kicked him out of office so we can have a president who can actually lead people.
How would you kick him out of office?

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 02:18 PM   #187
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
How would you kick him out of office?
By reading Platapus splendid explanation on how the machinery runs in the White House.

There's only three way a President can be removed from Oval Office

1. Through election
2. Through an impeachment.
3. Through Political steeps where the Vice President is part of it.
There could be some other peaceful option I may have missed.

Then there is an option I don't like to even think of.

Markus
Old 06-04-20, 02:37 PM   #188
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
There's only three way a President can be removed from Oval Office

1. Through election
2. Through an impeachment.
3. Through Political steeps where the Vice President is part of it.
There could be some other peaceful option I may have missed.

Then there is an option I don't like to even think of.

Markus
Number one is Nov 3, 2020.

Number two has been tried and it failed spectacularly.

Number three is highly unlikely unless Trump strangles Nancy Pelosi.

I would suggest a bribe. It can't hurt to try.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 03:25 PM   #189
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

A very compelling and detailed essay on Trump's threats to use military power to quell civil unrest and the negative implications and ill-effects of such a course of action on American democracy; the author is Retired US Marine Corps Four Star General John R. Allen, a distinguished military leader and noted and respected authority on Governance, Foreign and Domestic Policy; he is also, currently, the President of the Brookings Institution, a highly regarded 'think tank' considered to be the finest organization of its kind in the US and, perhaps, in the world, and which has had its findings and opinions cited by political leaders of all parties and/or political bent; it is a non-partisan institution and is widely viewed as a centrist organization...

Here is USMC General Allen's analysis of Trump's action's as posted on the Foreign Policy Magazine's website:

A Moment of National Shame and Peril—and Hope

We may be witnessing the beginning of the end of American democracy, but there is still a way to stop the descent. --

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/06/03...loyd-protests/

Quote:

One wonders, did Esper and Barr know that hundreds of peaceful U.S. citizens had been attacked by riot police just minutes before, their civil rights massively violated just to set the stage for their picture? Did it occur to them that in posing with the president and the Bible he held in front of a church, ostensibly calling down the authority of God on this cause, they were violating the spirit of one of the most important strictures in America, the separation of church and state? And if federal troops are indeed dispatched into the states to take action against American civilians, where does the Bible and the Christian God figure into the president’s deployment order? The framers of the Constitution intended the separation for a reason, and the commander in chief just trampled it.

In the immediate aftermath of this dark moment, late into the night, there was an eruption of theological debate about what it all meant on that historic day when a U.S. president weaponized the church and the Bible for a photo-op in order to justify his cause. Bishop Mariann Budde of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington said all anyone needed to say in order to settle the debate: “Let me be clear: The president just used a Bible, the most sacred text of the Judeo-Christian tradition, and one of the churches of my diocese without permission as a backdrop for a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything that our churches stand for.” Apart from the bishop’s truly righteous indignation, there really was no need for further discussion. Donald Trump isn’t religious, has no need of religion, and doesn’t care about the devout, except insofar as they serve his political needs.The president failed to project any of the higher emotions or leadership desperately needed in every quarter of this nation during this dire moment. We know why he did all this on Monday. He even said so while holding the Bible and standing in front of the church. It was about MAGA—“making America great again.”

To even the casual observer, Monday was awful for the United States and its democracy. The president’s speech was calculated to project his abject and arbitrary power, but he failed to project any of the higher emotions or leadership desperately needed in every quarter of this nation during this dire moment. And while Monday was truly horrific, no one should have been surprised. Indeed, the moment was clarifying in so many ways.

So, what is to be done? At nearly the same moment that Americans were being beaten near the White House on behalf of their president, George Floyd’s brother Terrence Floyd visited the site of George’s murder. Overcome with grief and anger, he loudly upbraided the crowd for tarnishing his brother’s memory with violence and looting. And then he told Americans what to do: vote. “Educate yourselves,” he said, “there’s a lot of us.” So, while June 1 could easily be confused with a day of shame and peril if we listen to Donald Trump, if instead we listen to Terrence Floyd, it is a day of hope. So mark your calendars—this could be the beginning of the change of American democracy not to illiberalism, but to enlightenment. But it will have to come from the bottom up. For at the White House, there is no one home.

I know some will knee-jerk when they see the word "illiberalism" used in the very first sentence of the piece and go into Pampers-filling near-apoplexy, but here is an actual definition, as it appears in Wikipedia, of the word as used in the context of an "illiberal democracy":

Quote:

An illiberal democracy, also called a partial democracy, flawed democracy, low intensity democracy, empty democracy or guided democracy, is a governing system in which although elections take place, citizens are cut off from knowledge about the activities of those who exercise real power because of the lack of civil liberties; thus it is not an "open society". There are many countries "that are categorized as neither 'free' nor 'not free', but as 'probably free', falling somewhere between democratic and nondemocratic regimes". This may be because a constitution limiting government powers exists, but those in power ignore its liberties, or because an adequate legal constitutional framework of liberties does not exist.

Sorry that Gen. Allen had to use a fancy, big word, but that's what happens when a complex issue is addressed by someone with that sort background who actually knows what he's talking about...

Maybe his comments would be easier to take if he were someone brown-nosing to get a job...

<O>
Old 06-04-20, 04:01 PM   #190
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

You're such a one trick pony. Whats yours and the generals opinion of all the other presidents in American history which used military to quell looting, riots and help bring about order? What's the difference between what the current president seeks and those presidents which authorized such action in 1967 and 1992? Why all of a sudden this aversion to restoring order? You can still allow the peaceful protests to continue as in fact many are peaceful. Its the agent provocateur, numbskulls, and criminals using chaos to take advantage of the situation that need to stopped.

When I watch the SpaceX lift-off. Trump spoke of wanting exactly that, to stop the looting and lawlessness. But allow the process of peaceful protest and bring order out this chaos. But because of pin headed party fanboy points of views and divisiveness of current politics it now something which isn't allowed? Peoples businesses are being ruined and lives destroyed and you are saying its OK because some general said?

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-04-20 at 04:15 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 04:06 PM   #191
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Number one is Nov 3, 2020.

Number two has been tried and it failed spectacularly.

Number three is highly unlikely unless Trump strangles Nancy Pelosi.

I would suggest a bribe. It can't hurt to try.
I have seen it here and on FB.

Friends who blame Trump for this problem and only him.

Well voters short time memory haven't been that great.

This problem with all these demonstration and riot is not a problem who started right after Trump was elected.
No it's a problem who have been subdued for years if not decades.

Which voters seems to forget.
Blame your politicians not only Mr Trump, but everyone of your elected should be blamed for this or these problems
(This is how I see it)

Markus
Old 06-04-20, 04:30 PM   #192
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post

Tom Cotton is a Harvard Law Graduate, a decorated military veteran who served combat tours in Irak and Afghanistan and the current junior Senator from Arkansas.
And he very early and accurate in forecasting the coming pandemic.

Anyone else notice these suspects look white, Asian, and black ?

I've been hearing this incident was racially motivated. I'm confused.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 05:03 PM   #193
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

^ Probably because the main instigator in this incident is Derek Chauvin, who is white. The other 3 have been charged with aiding and abetting . It remains to be seen if in fact this was racially motivated murder. More likely is that Chauvin was a loose canon as evidenced by the many complaints against him.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 05:38 PM   #194
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Can race have something to do with such treatment we saw? Yes, but personally I think playing that card every time something like this takes place removes the focus off of what I think is a more prevalent problem. That is law enforcement has for sometime now looked at those they are supposed to serve and protect as an enemy. As well as the obviously apparent attitude of being more interested in protecting each by looking the way rather than speaking up to say: "hey partner what you are doing is wrong so get off the guys freaking neck."

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-04-20 at 08:25 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 06:07 PM   #195
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Some of my friends are sharing a story about a young man named Tony.
During his arrest he was treated badly by the police who even mocked him.

This caused no demonstration or riots.

Here is more on this story

Quote:
The body camera footage tells the story: Tony Timpa was struggling, begging Dallas police officers who were holding him in a controversial position to let him go.

Within minutes he had stopped breathing, while officers joked that he had fallen asleep, according to the footage first obtained from the police department by The Dallas Morning News after a nearly three-year battle for its release -- part of the newspaper's investigation into the August 2016 death of the 32-year-old man.
The City of Dallas and its police department fought the release of the footage, first citing an ongoing investigation that saw three officers indicted, then the case's dismissal.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/02/u...ath/index.html

If I was an American I would hold my elected politician accountable
because the George Floyd case is not the only one.

Markus

Tags
police, riots