SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-21-13, 05:52 PM   #256
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Maybe it was a combination tanker-ammo cargo ship-destroyer. I heard the Germans were working on that during the war... read it on the Internets Tubes.
Old 06-21-13, 06:42 PM   #257
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I first threw my popcorn at the screen when Harvey Keitel shouted "Dive! Dive! Dive!" and rang the klaxon three times. The guy I was watching it with (not in the theater) asked my why I would complain about such a little thing. "Hey," I replied, "If they can't get the tiniest thing right, what makes you think they got any of it right?"\

Sure enough, the movie has not one redeeming value.

I take that back. It gave Pacific Aces some great scenes to use for some of their sound files.
Old 06-21-13, 07:48 PM   #258
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Maybe it was a combination tanker-ammo cargo ship-destroyer. I heard the Germans were working on that during the war... read it on the Internets Tubes.

This scene sadly was misunderstood.

It was supposed to be conveyed that Harvey Keitel had used "the force" to increase the torpedoes speed to such a rate that when it hit the German destroyer it caused a violent rip the space/time continuum which caused the massive explosion.

You can see him using the force right here (once youtube decides to allow me to capture at the correct point it wont even though I am copying URL at current point.)2:13 of this clip.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 08:50 PM   #259
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I first threw my popcorn at the screen when Harvey Keitel shouted "Dive! Dive! Dive!" and rang the klaxon three times. The guy I was watching it with (not in the theater) asked my why I would complain about such a little thing. "Hey," I replied, "If they can't get the tiniest thing right, what makes you think they got any of it right?"
I didn't used to be like that...but now I am. That's why I did like the movie at one point...but I don't anymore.

Quote:
I take that back. It gave Pacific Aces some great scenes to use for some of their sound files.
It gave us sound for Pacific Aces....Yes... I'm glad that Pacific Aces has the best sound of any subsim I've played. I love the crash dive sound in PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
This scene sadly was misunderstood.

It was supposed to be conveyed that Harvey Keitel had used "the force" to increase the torpedoes speed to such a rate that when it hit the German destroyer it caused a violent rip the space/time continuum which caused the massive explosion.

You need to do a youtube series where you pick movies apart like these guys...but in a humorous way like you do on here.

CinemaSins

Also, do you notice how the German Helmsman starts frantically turning the wheel when the torpedo is still a distance away....but they still haven't changed course when the torpedo hits.... Leave the Down-the-Throat-Shots to Commander Richardson, USN. (Run Silent, Run Deep reference )

----------------------------

I just watched The Guilt Trip with Seth Rogen about the inventor who takes his Mom on a road trip with him while he's promoting his new product.

Anybody who has ever had an embarrassing Mom will love this movie. It's hilarious.
Old 06-21-13, 11:22 PM   #260
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
You need to do a youtube series where you pick movies apart like these guys...but in a humorous way like you do on here.

CinemaSins
The Half in the Bag guys are more on my wave length.These CinemaSins guys just seem well obnoxious. Half in the Bag actually do analyze the films in a humorous manner.

Anyway I do not have the videography skills or the time to produce something that looks good.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 11:34 PM   #261
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
The Half in the Bag guys are more on my wave length.These CinemaSins guys just seem well obnoxious. Half in the Bag actually do analyze the films in a humorous manner.

Anyway I do not have the videography skills or the time to produce something that looks good.
You don't need videography....

Just a webcam and an idea.....

I haven't seen much Half in the Bag stuff. I only found CinemaSins yesterday. I thought it was kind of amusing how they pick apart movies.
Old 06-22-13, 08:16 AM   #262
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I have to give one backhanded compliment to Pearl Harbor, and it's a bizarre thing that has always bugged me. In Tora! Tora! Tora! they have a long discussion of the problems involved in dropping airborne torpedoes in a shallow harbor. The torpedoes tend to plunge deep before rising back to their running depth. They discuss the British solving the problem at Taranto, and they say they've solved the problem, but they never say how.

In Pearl Harbor they have a scene of Japanese crewmen fitting large breakaway wooden fins to the torpedoes, but they never actually say what they're doing or why. Not even a hint.
Old 06-22-13, 09:26 AM   #263
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Pearl Harbor they have a scene of Japanese crewmen fitting large breakaway wooden fins to the torpedoes, but they never actually say what they're doing or why. Not even a hint.
I have to correct you there, they do mention why they're putting the wooden fins on.

I must admit, that's one of my favourite scenes, I just love the setting, the map on the chalkboard, the model ships. Highly unlikely the Japanese actually did have something like that, but it sure looks awesome.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 09:49 AM   #264
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

How bizarre. I just didn't remember that. Of course I detested the movie so much I only saw it the one time. Sorry about that.
Old 06-22-13, 09:56 AM   #265
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
I have to correct you there, they do mention why they're putting the wooden fins on. I must admit, that's one of my favourite scenes, I just love the setting, the map on the chalkboard, the model ships. Highly unlikely the Japanese actually did have something like that, but it sure looks awesome.
I had read at one point that the Japanese never would've met in an outdoor setting. It's disrespectful or something in their culture.

I do like the scene too...the music is one of the best parts.
Old 06-22-13, 11:26 AM   #266
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
I have to correct you there, they do mention why they're putting the wooden fins on.

I must admit, that's one of my favourite scenes, I just love the setting, the map on the chalkboard, the model ships. Highly unlikely the Japanese actually did have something like that, but it sure looks awesome.
A part of the film I'll always remember 6:27

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 11:29 AM   #267
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

Jaws
Old 06-22-13, 02:35 PM   #268
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
A part of the film I'll always remember 6:27

Aye, same here.

In regards to the meeting and the model, I did find this:

But I honestly couldn't say if that's real or the set for Tora! Tora! Tora!
Old 06-22-13, 02:48 PM   #269
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Either way, that's an interesting picture.

Is that Charlie Chaplin testing the water depth?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 02:52 PM   #270
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Is that Charlie Chaplin testing the water depth?
It could be the set for the Japanese translation of 'The Great Dictator'?

Tags
films, movie, movies