SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: How fast you want the Cloud's to move in the Sky
I like them the way they are 96 20.43%
I want them a Little Slower 94 20.00%
I want them a Lot Slower 157 33.40%
Please give us Optional Install's 142 30.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-07, 05:52 PM   #706
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I know when you pause the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiance
Hiya Leo,
Hell yeah take it n use pic if if it helps people out

I am going to try dropping the TM latest patch 1.6.3 back to earlier one, Thinking maybe this could be causing the sound-effect stutter (hope it's this simple lol)

Anyways any more pics ya need halla out and i'll snap em up for ya

Damn having a tight run on diesel at the mo dropping a guy off up some weird ismuth hence shore batteries fired as i was charging batts and that's how i noticed effect stutter when i watched a destroyer firing at me then dying on my 6

Many Thanks

Ciao

Def

ps, will swap files n load sh4 and see if i can figure cause, maybe of help if other tm users are having same probs
Then do an alt tab to let's say the internet and e-mail's the sound effect's for the inside of the sub and or the wind get caught in a loop and can be heard inside camera view's and outside. I always have to reload a save to make it stop. So I try not to run the game unless I am sure I am done with the internet. I hait that sound loop.

Thanks for the photo though.
leovampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 06:23 PM   #707
Defiance
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 672

Hiya's,
I never use net or anything when submerged err immersed in the sim lol

I found i can clear the warp-speed prob with your map-pause tip

Ok tried the 1.6.2 tm patch and get the same sudden fps drop/stutter as things explode

Here's a pic of destroyer and as she explodes a few times system totally freezes as sound effects kick in asap sounds over with even with fantastic flame/smoke effects no stutter, Also a nice oil slick fire also no explosion sound so no stutter

The shore batteries as they fired and were landing short no noticable problem but as they overshot the sub as you hear the swoosh of them flying over ya head that's when i get stutter (me thinks it's sound related but i aint messed with drivers etc so dunno lol)

Going to redo tm latest patch and try to backtrack through my added mods and see what's conflicting

Many Thanks

Happy Dives

Def
Defiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 06:40 PM   #708
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default just for ha ha's disable the realistic sound travel

Quote:
Hiya's,
I never use net or anything when submerged err immersed in the sim lol

I found i can clear the warp-speed prob with your map-pause tip

Ok tried the 1.6.2 tm patch and get the same sudden fps drop/stutter as things explode

Here's a pic of destroyer and as she explodes a few times system totally freezes as sound effects kick in asap sounds over with even with fantastic flame/smoke effects no stutter, Also a nice oil slick fire also no explosion sound so no stutter

The shore batteries as they fired and were landing short no noticable problem but as they overshot the sub as you hear the swoosh of them flying over ya head that's when i get stutter (me thinks it's sound related but i aint messed with drivers etc so dunno lol)

Going to redo tm latest patch and try to backtrack through my added mods and see what's conflicting

Many Thanks

Happy Dives

Def
See if that makes a difference or not disabling the realistic sound travel in the sound options. Or maybe changing the number of 3d sound channels with the slider. The only other sound I am unsure about from our mod is the Hollywood sound effect for the screaming men it comes into play on explosions and collisions with other ships and object's.
Old 10-06-07, 07:10 PM   #709
Defiance
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 672

Hiya's,
Ok waited for the destroyer to sink n blow and no stutter

I removed nsm 3.3 classic but left row classic zones special effects

Will this hurt anything eye-candy/gameplay-wise Leo ??

pic of mods as it now stands .................... (ohh not loaded the hollywood effect sound gizmo yet but may try later)

Many Thanks

Happy Dives

Def

Last edited by Defiance; 10-06-07 at 07:23 PM.
Defiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 08:18 PM   #710
billko
中国水兵

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 2

You know what would be really cool is if we could somehow get the *stars* to reflect off the water at night! Also, what's with the dearth of stars, anyway? I see more stars than that when looking up in the night sky in Newark, NJ. Is there any way someone can paint a proper picture of a dark pacific sky in the middle of nowhere? Anyone who's been on the Pacific (or any ocean, for that matter) at night, where the starilight is the brightest light source would know what I mean...

Bill
Old 10-07-07, 09:45 AM   #711
banjo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 55

What I need to know is what this mod does to framerate. I have a pretty marginal system. Thanks.
banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 10:01 AM   #712
MONOLITH
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Ohh i am using onboard sound
Eek. I think this may have a lot to do with your sound stuttering. With a seperate soundcard, the hardware on the soundcard will take over some of the processing from your CPU, freeing up your CPU and allowing things to run smoother.

With onboard sound (motherboard), all the work is done by your CPU, and your sound processing abilities become very limited.

I would definately turn the 3D sound slider all the way off, and the realistic time travel should be off as well.

I have a decent sound card, and the time delay sounds still bog me down.
Old 10-07-07, 10:02 AM   #713
MONOLITH
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo
What I need to know is what this mod does to framerate. I have a pretty marginal system. Thanks.
Every system will vary, but I can honestly ssay I have not taken any FPS hit at all with ROW. I have a marginal system as well.

Best to just give it a try and see for yourself. If it runs well for you, the mod is well worth the effort.
Old 10-07-07, 10:15 AM   #714
DeepIron
Sea Lord

I ended up installing some of the ROW mods because I thought the framerate dropped to low (for me). Using ROW in conjunction with Trigger Maru slowed things down too far and the mouse cursor got very sluggish (I hate that) so I'm using Real Fleet Boat for the realism mods. This is still a work in progress...

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying that ROW or TMARU are "frame killers". Each system performs differently. I think TMARU and ROW are awesome and I respect the time and effort that went into producing them.

My system: Athlon XP 3000+ 2.17Ghz 1Gb RAM nVIDIA 7600GS AGP 256M XP SP2

I ended up with this configuration so far and am quite happy with it:
RFB Loadout: RFB_V1.52_102408: RFB_V1.52_Patch_111608: RSRDC_RFBv15_V396
DeepIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 11:14 AM   #715
DragonRR1
Officer

Can anyone answer this? I asked the question a few pages back but I guess it got a little lost in the deluge of posts!

I've noticed that the smoke from sinking ships switches off as the ship starts to sink and a fire goes out. Switching off as in the entire column of smoke vanishes rather than just stops being generated. I can't remember whether this happens in vanilla SH4. Can this be fixed? Or is it normal?
DragonRR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 03:02 PM   #716
Canonicus
XO

Downloads: 623
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRR1
Can anyone answer this? I asked the question a few pages back but I guess it got a little lost in the deluge of posts!

I've noticed that the smoke from sinking ships switches off as the ship starts to sink and a fire goes out. Switching off as in the entire column of smoke vanishes rather than just stops being generated. I can't remember whether this happens in vanilla SH4. Can this be fixed? Or is it normal?
If it was in vanilla SH4..I never noticed it....and I'm pretty sure I would have.
I'm just glad I'm not the only on who's aware of this effect....It's not really realistic, at all! ... and should be looked into...
I suspect there's a particles and /or materials file fix... somewhere for this.
Old 10-07-07, 03:46 PM   #717
enigma-e
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by billko
You know what would be really cool is if we could somehow get the *stars* to reflect off the water at night! Also, what's with the dearth of stars, anyway? I see more stars than that when looking up in the night sky in Newark, NJ. Is there any way someone can paint a proper picture of a dark pacific sky in the middle of nowhere? Anyone who's been on the Pacific (or any ocean, for that matter) at night, where the starilight is the brightest light source would know what I mean...

Bill
The representation of stars is absolutely ridiculous in the game. They are way too big, way too bright and twinkle way too much.

Billko, you can not see more stars than those seen in the game. They have tried to implement stars to the fifth magnitude, and more can not be seen with the unaided eye.

Also, stars do not reflect from an ocean. Such things only happen on mill ponds.

I was a merchant sailor as well as I am a hobby astronomer, and you will only be able to see stars to the sixth mag even under the best of circumstances.
Old 10-07-07, 03:58 PM   #718
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma-e
Quote:

Bill
The representation of stars is absolutely ridiculous in the game. They are way too big, way too bright and twinkle way too much.

Billko, you can not see more stars than those seen in the game. They have tried to implement stars to the fifth magnitude, and more can not be seen with the unaided eye.

Also, stars do not reflect from an ocean. Such things only happen on mill ponds.

I was a merchant sailor as well as I am a hobby astronomer, and you will only be able to see stars to the sixth mag even under the best of circumstances.
Agreed. Dangerous Waters has exactly the same problem - stars that are way too bright and reflect off the water. I had to edit the stars' datafile to tone them down to a reasonable level. If anything, SH4's stars are too bright as they are, to make them brighter or give them reflections would be way over the top.

Old 10-07-07, 04:04 PM   #719
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default About the smoke and fire effect's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonicus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRR1

If it was in vanilla SH4..I never noticed it....and I'm pretty sure I would have.
I'm just glad I'm not the only on who's aware of this effect....It's not really realistic, at all! ... and should be looked into...
I suspect there's a particles and /or materials file fix... somewhere for this.
When the game remove's a ship from the game environment the smoke and fire related to it disapears with the ship. If this is what you are talking about in effect's.

If you are talking about something else could you please explain more?!
Old 10-07-07, 04:08 PM   #720
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default As to the stars you can not add star's to the game hard coded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma-e
Quote:

Bill

Agreed. Dangerous Waters has exactly the same problem - stars that are way too bright and reflect off the water. I had to edit the stars' datafile to tone them down to a reasonable level. If anything, SH4's stars are too bright as they are, to make them brighter or give them reflections would be way over the top.

Star's are not set up to reflect on or off of anything. Yes we did brighten and adjust the star's a little because not all of them were showing up originaly and it had to be almost totaly dark before you ever saw one. We made it so they started to show up at dusk instead of the original stock set up. near our home's now aday's there is so much lighting from the city's that it actualy obscurs what we see in the sky but if you go out in the Desert there are ton's of star's and they are very bright and easy to spot. So seeing your out in the middle of the ocean I wanted to try and recreate that effect.