Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-04-21, 04:30 PM   #1
lhsmithnet
Swabbie

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default Campaign(?)

Hi, I joined subsim pretty much to post this. Is the sh5 campaign, with twos, dynamic? I really don't like the fact that it seems like the campaign is like every game these days, not like the silent hunter I used to know. Very mission based, instead of dynamic. That begs the question, is the campaign truly dynamic like sh3/4, or just SOME dynamic, but mostly mission based?
lhsmithnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 04:57 PM   #2
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

None of the Sh series campaigns are dynamic.
Old 02-04-21, 05:08 PM   #3
lhsmithnet
Swabbie

9999999999999999999999999% sure sh3 was dynamic though.
Old 02-04-21, 05:08 PM   #4
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhsmithnet View Post
9999999999999999999999999% sure sh3 was dynamic though.
Sorry, nope.
Old 02-04-21, 05:10 PM   #5
lhsmithnet
Swabbie

Stock, maybe not, but with GWX I think so.
Old 02-04-21, 05:12 PM   #6
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Stock, maybe not, but with GWX I think so.
Still no. A true dynamic campaign, i.e., the Falcon flight sim series, the player's actions can possibly affect actions and units, buildings, etc. destroyed stay that way.
That is not the case in the SH series, stock or modded.
Old 02-04-21, 05:16 PM   #7
lhsmithnet
Swabbie

I guess I misunderstood the true meaning, but still. I think you know what I mean by sh3 being dynamic (just one, big war without a bunch of mission tiles like the ones in sh5). Is sh5 just pretty much you completing those mission tiles or is there a way to make it like sh3, just one big war with totally random patrols?
Old 02-04-21, 05:18 PM   #8
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: SH5...

Quote:
Hi, I joined subsim pretty much to post this. Is the sh5 campaign, with twos, dynamic? I really don't like the fact that it seems like the campaign is like every game these days, not like the silent hunter I used to know. Very mission based, instead of dynamic. That begs the question, is the campaign truly dynamic like sh3/4, or just SOME dynamic, but mostly mission based?
Ahoy, lhsmithnet...

To be frank, TWoS, takes the stock SH5 & turns it on its ear, making it better than what Ubi did when they released it.

As to the functionality, it is NOT as it was with SH3.. which, as it goes with that... you get in the office a set in stone order set to go to X point, patrol for 24 hours & you are done, unless you happen across any single ships.. single warships...convoys of whatever size or task forces.. again, size varied as it. In which case you decide if to attack or not, dependent on your current status... how much fuel you have, how much ammo (ammo= deck gun ammo, flak & torpedoes you have)... if you have damages, or not.. crew status... the list of things you as a kaleun, have to take into account.

And that's just with SH3 alone...

SH4 did improve on that, with being able to radio in & then would either get a new set of orders... or get called back to base. 4, serves as both the base U.S. fleetboat, with v1.5 covering the inclusion of commanding a uboat, in the Pacific. There are quite a few mega mods so, you can be a kaleun, a IJN , U.S skipper, even a soviet 1 or a Brit skipper... the most useful ones are being a kaleun skipper with Op. Monsun: Dark Waters, Fifi's improvement on the base mod that lurker did... it does have it's own little quirks that need to be hammered out, to be frank.. but.. is likened to SH3 on steroids (My appraisal of it... ) then, there is the TMO updated version, called FotRSU-EN (Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate) EN (English version) last version 1.39 & its add on mod called Nippon Maru... & that is good, but is being worked on to improve it.

Ok, that, is as I said, the gist of SH3 & SH4, given in context for what I am going to outlay as it pertains to SH5...

SH5, as it was, was basically a dumpster fire.. & VDR has taken a load of time to work on it & make it be better than that.. & had done a great job, of course, there ARE others who have contributed & too many to name them all... & contribute, they have...

The basics of it, SH5 does allow for free range roaming, just as with 3 & 4... but the major assignments call for you to RTB to get new orders... at least that is from what I understand it to be set up... does this mean you can't just roam about sinking targets... absolutely NOT.. you can do so, but be aware that this may or may NOT impact the career path... vdr could probably better answer on that score...

The Campaign, is I figure.. mostly a combi of dynamic with mission oriented thrown in, which as I see it is a good mix.. as it is not overly heavy either way.. & is a good balance struck between the 2.

Hopefully, this info helps answer some of the question/s you had & that it was useful.

M. M.

Old 02-04-21, 05:20 PM   #9
lhsmithnet
Swabbie

Thanks, thats exactly what I'm looking for. Guess I'll stick to my sh3, since I like the free roam type of stuff instead of a mix.
Old 02-04-21, 05:27 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

lhsmithnet!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote