Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-10, 04:24 AM   #1
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
is Silenter Hunter 5 worth buying

Hi,

I really don't what to start another of those "will it won't it " kind of threads. The debri has settle on the seabed forever, the starkness of our reality is before us, is Sh5 worth it (forget the DRM stuff) - is the product worth the brass.

If SH5 where the car you saved up for, would you recomend it to your mother in law. , heh.

Just when you thought it would't get any darker,
the light if all reason goes out,
and there in the depths is a shadow,
as deep and dark as your doubt - PS
Old 06-16-10, 05:28 AM   #2
Kapitanleutnant
Frogman

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

If SH5 were a car I would definitely recommend it to my mother in law.
You never know; the brakes and steering might fail just as she's driving around a narrow mountain road, taking her and her awful car to a fiery grave.
Old 06-16-10, 05:29 AM   #3
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Whatever anyone else thinks, it won't apply to you. I can only say that for the number of hours enjoyment I have obtained from SH5, compared to the price I paid, then I think it is 'worth' it. But whatever your definition of worth is will be different to mine and how much you enjpy it will be different, so whether I think it's worth it or not really won't help you.

Also, whether or not I would recommend it to my mother-in-law or not, would depend on whether I liked her or not, as if I didn't like her, then I wouldn't recommend a good car to her. But anyway, to answer the question. no, I wouldn't recommend it to my mother in law, if it were a car, because she off a cliff in her last car, which was based on SH3.
Old 06-16-10, 05:46 AM   #4
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

Yes and No, depend on price. If you have to spend 50 EUR like I did, then No, not worth that price. If you can get it cheaper, like 20 EUR or so, then go for it, no reason to not buy it. Except if you are not an old guy who love only ancient games, like Mario, SH3 and so on.
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 05:52 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitanleutnant View Post
You never know; the brakes and steering might fail just as she's driving around a narrow mountain road, taking her and her awful car to a fiery grave.
ROFLMAO

Hey, have we got the same mother-in-law?

@OP

At the price being asked now and in view of the current ongoing mod work it is a good buy IMHO

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 06:01 AM   #6
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitanleutnant View Post
Cripes that's a bit rough, I wouldn't recommend SH5 to my worst enemy!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 06:02 AM   #7
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Yes.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 06:48 AM   #8
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Yes it is. The modders have already done great work with this game, and they will continue to make significant improvements over the next 12 months.

We can only hope that Ubisoft decides to reallocate their servers and offer up a patch for SH5 to remove the DRM component. That is the point at which I would purchase the game, but if you can live with the DRM, buy it anyway and enjoy the talent of the modders
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 07:36 AM   #9
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

I am basically of the same mind as Nisgeis. For the amount you will pay for it(especially if you get it used on amazon or something similar), you will get more than enough entertainment out of it.

However, it does have its problems, glitches, missing features that were in earlier Silent Hunters, etc. But, with the right mods, you can really turn it into a respectable game, and more mod work is being done every day.

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 07:46 AM   #10
edu
Watch

Downloads: 96

Price doesn´t matter.
The time you are going to waste is the real point. Silent Hunter V is a bad game. Don´t waste your time on it. There are other impresive videogames, try them.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 08:18 AM   #11
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
Yes it is. The modders have already done great work with this game, and they will continue to make significant improvements over the next 12 months.

We can only hope that Ubisoft decides to reallocate their servers and offer up a patch for SH5 to remove the DRM component. That is the point at which I would purchase the game, but if you can live with the DRM, buy it anyway and enjoy the talent of the modders
+1

Some of the mod work being done behind the scenes is quite impressive, not to mention the stuff that's already out there. I think you'll see a snowball effect as well - as the mods get better and better, you'll get more people playing and modding the game. And if Ubi decides in their infinite wisdom to remove the DRM requirement, you'll see an injection of new lifeblood into the game also.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 08:53 AM   #12
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
Price doesn´t matter.
The time you are going to waste is the real point. Silent Hunter V is a bad game. Don´t waste your time on it. There are other impresive videogames, try them.
On the flip side there is also a lot of way crappier games.
As games go SHV is pretty decent and TBH, no worse than the previous two games were out of the box - sure its not great now, but it will improve over time.
Think of it as an investment.

Do you really want another bland FPS game featuring stereotypes in oversized space marine armour?
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 09:33 AM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Except if you are not an old guy who love only ancient games, like Mario, SH3 and so on.
HEY! I resemble that remark! I am an old guy, but I don't love only ancient games. In fact, I don't love games at all, but I do love history, and I love playing games that involve history, or at least submarines.

I've read all the good and all the bad comments, and to me it doesn't matter. I'll be buying SH5 the very instant they'll let me play it. And I'll gladly pay full price when I do buy it.
Old 06-16-10, 09:43 AM   #14
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139

I think the crucial fact to consider is if UBI really abandoned this game now and no future patches will be released. If so, we definitely shouldn't buy SH5 unless for a very low price. Well, all modding effort is worth praising but sorry - I am not interested in playing this game after applying several dozen probably not fully compatible mods which does not fix all SH5 glitches anyway because many of them are hard-coded. Yes, some super-mod is badly needed but no way it will appear this year. All in all there is no reason to buy SH5 now. The better choice is wait couple of months for price lovering, maybe new patches fixing hard-coded bugs and at least one polished super-mod.

PS. Of course I skipped entire DRM issue here.
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 09:50 AM   #15
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov View Post
PS. Of course I skipped entire DRM issue here.

I didn't skip it entirely but I did dance around it a bit.

Tags
is it worth it, sh5