Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-11, 08:51 PM   #166
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
This is true. However, in fairness, that speculation is no less speculative than your speculation.
I disagree. Not that his speculation is more or less speculative, but that I think you're just speculating on the nature of the differing speculations.
Old 02-20-11, 03:26 PM   #167
Loganrocks7
Mate

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0

This just enlightened my day as I just tried it and you are correct. Also, I as well don't understand why Ubisoft didn't tell anyone..
Loganrocks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 10:02 AM   #168
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post

That's why I still play SH3 ...
up until 2010, SH3 had Starforce which was, to me, a much more intrusive DRM since it is on all the time and prevented certain programs from working, even when you were not playing the game.

Maybe someone can explain to me why having to logon for 5 seconds when and only when you want to play a game is an affront to civil liberties, but having a program permanently installed that records what programs you are using 24/7 is not...
Old 02-21-11, 05:38 PM   #169
Budds
Bosun

Downloads: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
Maybe someone can explain to me why having to logon for 5 seconds when and only when you want to play a game is an affront to civil liberties, but having a program permanently installed that records what programs you are using 24/7 is not...
Not Trying to pick.....
But I think you take too much for granted with that statement.
I hardly think Many, (if Any), that oppose DRM SUPPORT Starforce or ANY other Form.
It would be a Small percentage indeed of people that would say, " Love that Starforce.... HATE DRM !!!".

But for arguements sake.....
When I started with PC Sims/Games, it was because I had lottsa Down-Time in remote locations.
This helped pass the time and I did not mind spending $50.00 usd or more on a Sim that would give me MANY hours of return on my investment.
Most times there was NO internet to be had... NONE ! ( I know thats hard for some of you to believe... But TRUE! ).

Can you Blame someone for NOT wanting to invest in a Product that they may not be able to use at their will or leisure ?
Not All of us are Blessed to be surrounded by WiFi, and Hi-Speed Access 24/7.
Would you not Prefer the Bush Pilot in Brazil be able to enjoy the same Sims you do ? ( He May Have a Hot Sister !!!! )
In Fact some of the Better Modders I've known were borne from just such an environment, they learned to Mod thier Sims to keep them Fresh as it might be awhile before they could get access to new software/hardware.

Anywyas the whole Security Arguement is Smoke....
They lose more in "In House" Piracy then they Ever do on the Street.
While they watch the Internet for "thugs", their Staff and Others that get hands on first are selling out the back door.

Anywyas..........
Budds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 11:44 AM   #170
Manstein16
Swabbie

Downloads: 32

Well, a promise is a promise. Just ordered my copy of SH5 from Amazon
Manstein16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 01:31 AM   #171
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
up until 2010, SH3 had Starforce which was, to me, a much more intrusive DRM since it is on all the time and prevented certain programs from working, even when you were not playing the game.
Was it really that recent? I thought I bought my Starforce-free copy sometime earlier. But that's not important, because you're right. Had I had any clue about these things I might have rejected SH3 as well. The fact that I had no problems with Starforce is irrelevant - it was invasive and should not have been there either.

Quote:
Not me. I refused to buy SH5 when they announced this DRM, and that hasn't changed. Affront to civil liberties? No one makes me play the game, and no one stops you from playing it. That said, people who don't have any internet connection still can't play it.

Maybe you can explain to me why I have to log on at all to play a single-player offline game. Does that make any sense at all? Why is there a need to justify it? No toy is that important.
Old 03-09-11, 04:18 PM   #172
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31

Quote:
Not me. I refused to buy SH5 when they announced this DRM, and that hasn't changed. ..
Same here Steve... at least I CAN loggon into my SH3 and SH4 while other members seem to vent their frustration in yet another frustrating "can't connect" thread... because are unable to connect to UBicrapped server. Maybe Ubi when under like their SH5 sub... who knows...

thyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 06:04 PM   #173
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyro View Post
Same here Steve... at least I CAN loggon into my SH3 and SH4 while other members seem to vent their frustration in yet another frustrating "can't connect" thread... because are unable to connect to UBicrapped server. Maybe Ubi when under like their SH5 sub... who knows...
Hate to say it, but although the servers maybe crapping out today, Ubisoft as a company is not going under, new facilities, new games and heck they made Assassins Creed..... That company is here for awhile... On the other hand, I never had problems with playing SH5, if I spent the money and was prevented from playing, I would have complained, but a year later I still never have any issues with the DRM. The biggest problem with DRM for me anyways is the complaining and preaching.
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 06:09 PM   #174
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

If someone said i wont play because of the drm , i say thats rubbish .
If someone said i cannot play because i dont have internet then i say boo ubisoft .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 08:01 AM   #175
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budds View Post
Not Trying to pick.....
When I started with PC Sims/Games, it was because I had lottsa Down-Time in remote locations.
This helped pass the time and I did not mind spending $50.00 usd or more on a Sim that would give me MANY hours of return on my investment.
Most times there was NO internet to be had... NONE ! ( I know thats hard for some of you to believe... But TRUE! )....
Amen! That's when I am mostly playing too, when on the road and often in environments with limited if any Internet. For example, in January I was staying in a villa in Riyadh for two weeks...no internet in my villa the whole time. In December I was in Malaysia at a hotel with CRAZY expensive Internet charges. So much for Internet there. This month I will be in North Georgia at our vacation home...very hokey satellite connection up there...drops a lot and especially this time of year when it rains or is overcast.

Someone tell my why the hell would I buy a product that I can't play when I want to play? IT'S ASININE! To me (in my world) SH5 is useless until they drop the DRM or at least come up with a compromise model like Steam that allows you to periodically be connected to validate the copy.

I still haven't bought SH5 and have no intention until they fix this.
sabretwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 11:03 AM   #176
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretwo View Post
To me (in my world) SH5 is useless until they drop the DRM or at least come up with a compromise model like Steam that allows you to periodically be connected to validate the copy.
Umm, to be fair, this whole thread is about the fact that they have modified it so you only have to connect at the time you log on, and not at all after that.

My opposition is on moral grounds, but if your wish is for a limited connection requirement, that's what they have now.
Old 03-10-11, 03:37 PM   #177
jerm138
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

So, they still want you to verify you have a legit copy before you can run the game... Are they really still worried that somebody's going to a game that sells NEW for under $5??

Saving the $4 is not even worth the effort or risk of pirating. They can't honestly believe that the startup verification benefits them in any way whatsoever.

I could understand their concern when it was first released, but bargain bin copies of Mah Jhong at Wal-Mart are more expensive for chrissakes. Why can't they just let it go (completely)?

Laughable, man.
Old 03-10-11, 03:57 PM   #178
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Now that the launcher seems to be fixed , i love the cloud saving . I always have my saves if something stuffs up with the puter .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 04:00 PM   #179
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

I think it good the Ubi keeps my save games nice and safe
Old 03-10-11, 04:37 PM   #180
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69

Quote:
Umm, to be fair, this whole thread is about the fact that they have modified it so you only have to connect at the time you log on, and not at all after that.

My opposition is on moral grounds, but if your wish is for a limited connection requirement, that's what they have now.
Steve,

I don't think you understood what I was saying. With the way they set it up now, it still changes nothing for folks like me. You still need to be connected to get on. That's my whole point! Whether its online as a live connection for only a minute or two is irrelevant.

What I mean by a satisfactory compromise is what Steam has...once every few weeks or after a number of game launches, validate online, then no connection required (complete offline play) for several weeks again before Steam pops up and starts nagging for a connection again.

When I travel with Steam games, no problem. I can stay in a hotel without Internet for a good week or two and never have any problems. As for SH5 and UBI's DRM, even with the new changes I'd still be fubar.
sabretwo is offline   Reply With Quote