SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-01-13, 05:09 PM   #46
Sepp von Ch.
Sea Lord

Downloads: 788
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
here it is: gap - armaments & equipments patch

This patch should:
  • add 3 new types of shell to game: 11" AP, 11" HE and 11" AA; the new shells were given intermediate settings between their homologue of 8 and 14 inches of caliber;

• fix the issue with the 28 cm (11") SK C/34 guns mounted on Scharnhorst and Deutschland pocket battleships, that in stock game were set to use an "unknown" type of shell; the wrong shells are now replaced with the new 11" AP and HE shells;

• replace the 14" AP and HE shells so far fired by the 28 cm (11") SK L/40 guns (Deutschland class battleships), with more appropriate 11" shells;

• fix the issue with the 10.5 cm (4.1") SK C/33 gun, mounted on many German capital ships and cruisers, that was missing its muzzle flash effect.
The patch includes as well my 'undestructible searchlights fix'. Follow this link for further details:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=197680
Thank you VERY much gap! I'll try it now!
Sepp von Ch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 05:41 PM   #47
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef von Posorschitz View Post
Thank you VERY much gap! I'll try it now!
Thank you to Josef, let me know
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 05:55 PM   #48
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
In many ways. You can pick one of the points listed in the first post, or just choice a related aspect that I didn't think of initially (as Rongel did), and start developping it.
OK.. realizing that English is not my native language, it's too complicated for my understanding today.. I will read/understand it tomorrow..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 09:21 PM   #49
V13dweller
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Good
what about the 28 cm guns? Are they firing now?
Yes, they are working.

Very good job.
This mod is very helpful
I thank you for your hard work.
Now what to do next? I might recreate the sinking of HMS Rawalpindi, Where Scharnhorst and Gneisenau sink HMS Rawalpindi because the captain of the ship didn't want to surrender to the Germans.
Maybe not, Ill keep looking for idea's.
Also, do the torpedo tubes on ships actually work? I have never seen then work, if they do.

Last edited by V13dweller; 01-02-13 at 12:24 AM.
V13dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-13, 08:38 AM   #50
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
OK.. realizing that English is not my native language, it's too complicated for my understanding today.. I will read/understand it tomorrow..
My bad: sometimes I myself can't manage understanding my own english written texts

Quote:
Originally Posted by V13dweller View Post
Yes, they are working.

Quote:
Very good job.
This mod is very helpful
I thank you for your hard work.
Thank you too my friend for your precious assistance, but the real work has yet to come: the previous patch was just a quick and dirty fix

Quote:
Now what to do next? I might recreate the sinking of HMS Rawalpindi, Where Scharnhorst and Gneisenau sink HMS Rawalpindi because the captain of the ship didn't want to surrender to the Germans.
Maybe not, Ill keep looking for idea's.
I hope to release today the next patch fixing the remaining buggy guns. I'll tell you what units have to be tested, if you want to keep helping me

Quote:
Also, do the torpedo tubes on ships actually work? I have never seen then work, if they do.
I really don't know, but good question anyway! Can anyone answer it?
Old 01-02-13, 09:51 AM   #51
V13dweller
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I hope to release today the next patch fixing the remaining buggy guns. I'll tell you what units have to be tested, if you want to keep helping me
I would be happy to test more of your weapon fixes when you release them.

I am going to get some ships close enough to each other to see if they will use the torpedoes, but right now, one has sunk the other before they get close enough to use them
Old 01-02-13, 09:55 AM   #52
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
My bad: sometimes I myself can't manage understanding my own english written texts
It's not your fault.. blame my sick head..

Quote:
I really don't know, but good question anyway! Can anyone answer it?
Maybe it's just a decoration?

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-13, 10:42 AM   #53
V13dweller
Grey Wolf

I believe now that the torpedo tubes are decorations, I placed a Konigsberg class light cruiser 400 meters (Minimum distance for the standard G7a torpedo to detonate) and the tube racks did not track the enemy ship, the ship just maxed the engines, moved to a safe distance, then the 3 turrets just tracked to the ships and sent it to the bottom by normal means.

I think, under my opinion, it is for decoration purposes only.
Old 01-02-13, 12:01 PM   #54
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I would be happy to test more of your weapon fixes when you release them.
Good! I an not sure if I will be on time for releasing the next update today, but stay tuned anyway!

Quote:
I am going to get some ships close enough to each other to see if they will use the torpedoes, but right now, one has sunk the other before they get close enough to use them
Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
Maybe it's just a decoration?
Quote:
I believe now that the torpedo tubes are decorations, I placed a Konigsberg class light cruiser 400 meters (Minimum distance for the standard G7a torpedo to detonate) and the tube racks did not track the enemy ship, the ship just maxed the engines, moved to a safe distance, then the 3 turrets just tracked to the ships and sent it to the bottom by normal means.

I think, under my opinion, it is for decoration purposes only.
Yes, I could hardly believe it, but lamentably you both are right...

Unlike other ship armaments, torpedo launchers don't have a wpn_* controller assigned in guns_radars_01.sim. Even worst, after having a quick glance at the available SH weapons controllers, I couldn't find any special controller designed for working with the torpedo launcher. Here's the full list of them:

wpn_BoldsLauncher
wpn_Cannon
wpn_DCRack
wpn_Hedgehog
wpn_Kgun
wpn_Searchlight
wpn_SubTorpedoSys

As you can see, the closer we can get to a torpedo launcher is the wpn_SubTorpedoSys controller, which I doubt will work on ships.

Nonetheless, I remember that in SH3 or 4 they managed to mimic a working torpedo launcher by using a dummy gun which fired dummy shells. If I remember correctly, the trick was making it to spawn a torpedo in place of a flash effect every time it fired its armless rounds. This method had several limitations, but at least it worked. I'll try looking for this mod, and see if the same can be done in SH5.

In the meanwhile I would appreciate if someone could explain to me how deck-mounted torpedo tubes do work. I don't know anything on this topic: do they track their target like a normal gun do (train and elevation)? Are the torpedoes they fire equipped with gyroscopes? etc.
Old 01-02-13, 10:14 PM   #55
gap
Navy Seal

Default gap - armaments & equipments patch v 0.1

new alpha version of the patch available here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?927qswrl3urhwr2

What is new:
  • fixed a wrong setting that prevented muzzle flash effects for the US 5" (12.7 cm) Mk. 12 gun (single mount Mk. 30), used on Fletcher class destroyers;
  • fixed a wrong setting that prevented muzzle flash effects for the US 5" (12.7 cm) Mk. 12 gun (twin mount Mk. 28), used on North Carolina class battleships;
  • fixed a wrong setting that prevented muzzle flash effects for the US 5" (12.7 cm) Mk. 12 gun (twin mount Mk. 22), used on Somers class destroyers;
  • fixed a wrong setting that prevented muzzle flash effects for the Italian 152 mm (6") Model 1926/1929 gun (twin turret), used on Giussano (Bartolomeo Colleoni) and Montecuccoli classes light cruisers;
  • fixed a wrong setting that prevented muzzle flash effects for the British 5.25" (13.4 cm) Mk. I gun (twin mount), used on King George V class battleships (including Duke of York), and Dido class light cruisers;
  • fixed a missing setting that prevented muzzle flash effects for the British 6" (15.2 cm) BL Mk. XXII gun (twin mount), used on Nelson class battleships.

Previous version:
  • added 3 new shell definitions for 11" AP, HE and AA ammunition, with intermediate damage, damage radius, and armour piercing settings between 8" and 14" shells of the same type;
  • fixed a wrong ammunition setting that prevented from firing the German 28 cm (11") SK C/34 gun (three-gun turret), used on Scharnhorst and Deutschland classes pocket battleships; the gun is now firing the newly introduced 11" AP and HE shells;
  • 14" AP and HE shells replaced with more correct 11" ammunition of the same type for the German 28 cm (11") SK L/40 gun (double-gun turret), used on Deutschland class battleships;
  • fixed a missing setting that prevented muzzle flash effects for the German 10.5 cm (4.1") SK C/33 gun (twin mount), used on Bismark class battleships, Scharnhost and Deutschland classes pocket battleships, and Admiral Hipper class heavy cruisers.
Old 01-03-13, 12:13 AM   #56
V13dweller
Grey Wolf

The hedgehog mortar spigot? I have never seen that used before, I have only seen the depth charge racks and depth charge throwers used before.
Old 01-03-13, 01:31 AM   #57
SixthFall
Seaman

Downloads: 125

Quote:

Keep up you great testing work.
Will there be cake?

Quote:
The hedgehog mortar spigot? I have never seen that used before, I have only seen the depth charge racks and depth charge throwers used before.
I swear I saw something about those working in-game. humph, i shall try to find it.
SixthFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 01:38 AM   #58
SixthFall
Seaman

Downloads: 125

Quote:
In the meanwhile I would appreciate if someone could explain to me how deck-mounted torpedo tubes do work. I don't know anything on this topic: do they track their target like a normal gun do (train and elevation)? Are the torpedoes they fire equipped with gyroscopes? etc.
From what I found, the tubes only track horizontally, then launch the torp out at the target. The firing controls appear to be accsessed on the tube itself. Also, it would appear the torpedos have their own gyros.

Check this very cool link out!!
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/destroyer/ddtubes/index.htm
SixthFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 03:27 AM   #59
V13dweller
Grey Wolf

By any chance, is it possible to disable the depth charge racks on the destroyers? Because I still have not managed to get any destroyers to use their hedgehog. I was thinking, if the ship cannot use it's depth charges, it would be forced to use hedgehog.
Old 01-03-13, 03:43 AM   #60
V13dweller
Grey Wolf

Also, the destroyer should use it's hedgehog above using the depth charges, because the hedgehog is a much more effective anti-submarine weapon. The hedgehog had a 25% kill rate, while the depth charge had a 7%, as we can see, these odds are in the hedgehogs favor, so the hedgehog might not actually work within this game.