Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-20, 01:48 AM   #2446
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
If you think you'll be any better served by Biden you'd be very disappointed.

The US would be better served by a chimpanzee than the idiot in the Oval Office today...

...aside from the greater increase in IQ, maturity, and improved performance, there would be very little noticeable difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenwurst View Post
I'm prepared. If I go to hell I got a lot of good friends downthere. It'll be good to catch up.

I've often said I wouldn't really want to go to heaven...

...I hate being alone...

...besides, ...I hear its a dry heat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
So better that our governor would be a guy who a few weeks ago was found passed out with a meth overdosed male gay hooker in a hotel room?

Hey, DeSantis has only been in a bit over a year, so he has plenty of time to aspire to that fine example, because, you know, ...Florida...

...can see the headlines now: "Florida Man..."...

Here's anther big reason to have trust in Dr. Anthony Fauci and his judgement...

Dr. Fauci Warned In 2017 Of ‘Surprise Outbreak’ During Trump Administration --

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fauci...b6e7d76c65c8a4

This is an article from the Georgetown University news site reporting on the presentation where Dr. Fauci, and other experts issued their warnings:

Global Health Experts Advise Advance Planning for Inevitable Pandemic --

https://gumc.georgetown.edu/gumc-sto...ble-pandemic/#

Quote:

“If there’s one message that I want to leave with you today based on my experience, it is that there is no question that there will be a challenge to the coming administration in the arena of infectious diseases,” Fauci said.

So, the next time the Chump-In-Chief makes one of his "Who knew this would happen?", or "Nobody knew this would happen" types of statements, remember that apparently a whole lot of people, if not everybody, knew...

<O>
Old 04-06-20, 02:27 AM   #2447
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

"I've often said I wouldn't really want to go to heaven...

...I hate being alone...

...besides, ...I hear its a dry heat..." Quote from vienna ( music legend )

Good drinking weather

<O>[/QUOTE]

Eisenwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 04:33 AM   #2448
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenwurst View Post
"I've often said I wouldn't really want to go to heaven...
...I hate being alone...
...besides, ...I hear its a dry heat..." Quote from vienna ( music legend )
Good drinking weather <O>
That . More than 20 degrees Celsius here, foretaste of summer.. and i do like upper temperatures very much.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 04:37 AM   #2449
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
No kidding. How hard would that be?

I can see sending a relief check (to be paid back in time by payroll deduction) to people under 30, but shouldn't people have a small emergency fund by the time they are 30+ ?

Poor people spend their paychecks on things they need to live (rent and utility bills, food, etc) and live from paycheck to paycheck. Not sure if that is the same in US.
Old 04-06-20, 05:35 AM   #2450
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

New infections and deaths have fallen in Spain and Italy in recent days - suggesting lockdowns are working.

The slowly improving situation in those countries gives the US "hope", said a key Trump adviser.

At his Sunday press briefing, Mr Trump said "we see light at the end of the tunnel"

But 1,200 people with the virus in the US died in the past 24 hours and the Surgeon General warned of a hard week.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson is in hospital after suffering 'persistent symptoms'

The news was announced on Sunday evening shortly after the Queen addressed the nation.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is expected to announce state of emergency.

Nearly 1.3 million people cases have now been confirmed worldwide with close to 70,000 deaths.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 05:46 AM   #2451
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
What chance do the public have if those who are giving them advice ignore said advice themselves?
She has now done the right thing.

Quote:
Scotland's first minister said it was her view that Dr Catherine Calderwood should resign as the country's chief medical officer.

Nicola Sturgeon told BBC Breakfast that she had a "long conversation" with the top medic in which "she came to the same view" about the need to step down.

Dr Calderwood came under fire for making two trips to her second home during the coronavirus lockdown.

She apologised on Sunday afternoon and quit the role later in the evening.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52181221

Old 04-06-20, 07:54 AM   #2452
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Coronavirus: Dalek patrols streets ordering humans to 'self-isolate'

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...olate-11969126
Glad it was a classic Dalek.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 08:00 AM   #2453
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A four-year-old female Malayan tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the coronavirus.

The tiger, named Nadia, is believed to be the first known case of an animal infected with Covid-19 in the US.

The Bronx Zoo, in New York City, says the test result was confirmed by the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Iowa.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52177586

Old 04-06-20, 08:36 AM   #2454
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Boris Johnson says he is in "good spirits" after spending the night in hospital with coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52180223

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 08:41 AM   #2455
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Think about it. If everybody and everything just took a three week freeze and then started up would that be the end of the world? No money changing hands etc.

Who's everybody? The 7.8 billion people in this world or the 350 million people with their own ideas and priorities in the U.S.? Lets make it easier and just go with the 350 million. What guarantee is there after three weeks such a quarantine actually worked? Whose prepared to proclaim in the U.S. its safe to go outside and get back to work? What about Canada, South and Central America? Do we send our armed forces to our national borders and prevent more infections from coming in? What a crap storm that would turn out to be.

Slowing the spread of the virus and allowing a herd immunity while a vaccine is developed , I think, is a much more realistic approach than thinking someone can flip a switch and make everyone stay home for three weeks. People will die from this virus but eventually we all do and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it either.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 08:46 AM   #2456
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post

Slowing the spread of the virus and allowing a herd immunity while a vaccine is developed
That is the current UK Governments policy also.

Old 04-06-20, 08:54 AM   #2457
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORPET View Post
And just in case i don't make it back here. In 2005 i didn't know that using capitol letters in my name was shouting. Hell i didn't know anything about life on the internet It was just easier to find your name in the Wolf pack League. That was a long time ago. End Transmission Gorpet
It's ok, I always thought your name looked like an important agency, like NORAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Poor people spend their paychecks on things they need to live (rent and utility bills, food, etc) and live from paycheck to paycheck. Not sure if that is the same in US.
Have you ever seen a poor person smoking a cigarette? Or boozing it up? Or buying illegal drugs? Ever seen a person living check to check with a mobile phone or a Playstation?
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 09:06 AM   #2458
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

What Germany does better than others. And were it was more lucky than others.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/w...eath-rate.html

Test, test, test. Track, track, track. Isolate, isolate, isolate.

Sounds like plain reason, doesn't it.
Old 04-06-20, 09:20 AM   #2459
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Slowing the spread of the virus and allowing a herd immunity while a vaccine is developed , I think, is a much more realistic approach than thinking someone can flip a switch and make everyone stay home for three weeks. People will die from this virus but eventually we all do and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it either.
The number wizards and epidemiologists have shown repeatedly that herd self-immunization takes place that slowly only that the losses would be stellar and unacceptably high. Letting this process roll until 70% herd immunity arer reached would take so long and cost so many lives, that any govenrment doing it to the end would get lynched and revolution would break out. It might speed up at later stages, but the sdtarting phase takes aeons. Italy for example ten days ago had reached a herd immunity level of just 0.8% until then. Go figure. There are numbers saying that in the US the difference in deaths in a scneairpo with letting it run and tackling it wioth slowing down, would be a factor of at least 10, probbaly more. They expect 240 thosuand deaths righ tnow. That means herd immunity on the loose is only to be had at the cost of at least two and a half million lives. Unacceptable.

Getting the vaccine is the ONLY option out of this, therefore.

For this, collapse of health systems and caring for both corona and non-corona patients is of utmost importance. This is what flattening the curve is aiming at: the slow the growth of cases to a level that the treshhold - under ideal circumstances - does not get met, until a vaccine is there.

Thr immunity is no alternative for a vaccine. A vaccine is the only option.

The measurements in place must be eased, after the curve has been flattened sufficiently so that the needed time is bought. But they cannot be lifted until the vaccine is there. And they cannot be eased before the curv e has been suficiently flattened. We will need to live with much of this mesasurements until deep into next year, therefore. We have had so fra contianment attempts first, anmd after that mitgation attempts. We must manage to push numbers of new infections down so that we can move back from mitigation to containment.

Even then there is the risk of a second wave mounting. And there are precedences for that, seasonal flus for example mostly come in two waves, in late winter and early spring, and in late summer and early autumn, these are not two flus, but one and the same.

It would be helpful to have a drug which can reliable fight the symptoms of corona in severe cases. Hydrochloroxine however that is not, and it has severe side-effects. Its not just Fauci saying that in absis of thes tudies available on the drug - practically all German medical corona experts would agree on that.

[Edit: It seems I just invented a new substance. I mean Hydroxychloroquine, of course. LOL]

There are other candidates of existing drugs that get evaluated for their usability against Corona. But we have no scientifically verified, safe results so far. The Japoanese are about tht start trying it with a drug recommended by the Chinese on groudns of their experience with it. In Germany, four different drugs are being tested parallel in different places.

Also important is to fundamentally boost the production of FFP masks, and test kits. Needed are billions of both. BILLIONS. It is completekly beyond me why government do no pick up the offerings of home factories who could embark on this task immediately and pump them up with money to do right this. Textile masks are a foul excuse only, and all that stupid babbling of protecting others and aerosols doing no harm is stupid babbling owing to the lack of sufficiently stocks in masks. What also is in dangeorusly short supply, is desinfectants and basic ingredients for making them: ethanole and isopropyl alcohol.

It will not be a nice summer this year. Covering your face while sweating and being hot, is not nice to bear. You are short on breath.

Best advice I could give, pragmatically: be mobile on bicycle, so that you travel iwht higher speed and get away from people you meet on the street quickly again, while not wearing a mask in the open. I have miounted a frame lock on m ybicycle now, I had none, only two solid external locks . This way I can quiockly stop at the baker, jump off the bike and lock it QUICKLY, do my business QUICKLY, get on bike again QUICKLY and start leaving and getting out of Dodge QUICKLY.

Even 100m I do now on bicycle, like others do 200m in cars. Staying agile, movibile, moving quickly, not having people in your vicinity, that is the motto of 2020 and 2021. Travel fast in town. Do not walk, but ride a bike. and behind a stupid, an ignorrant opr a brutla egoist behind every tree. I have had them already aplenty. Thats why I wear a mask even in open spaces outside supermarkets now. The problem with stupids is that they are stupid and do stupid things and behave stupid. You have to expect their stupidity breaking out again just every second. That is why the argument that we should wear only primitive masks to protect not ourselves from the others ("malicous egoism!") but the others from us ("holy altruism!") , does not bite.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-06-20 at 10:54 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 09:35 AM   #2460
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
It's ok, I always thought your name looked like an important agency, like NORAD.

Have you ever seen a poor person smoking a cigarette? Or boozing it up? Or buying illegal drugs? Ever seen a person living check to check with a mobile phone or a Playstation?

Not just a mobile phone, an iphone ...or with a dozen tattoos, or driving a car ten years newer than yours

Of course now I'm not sure they weren't the smart ones as this delayed gratification won't be very gratifying if I die beforehand.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan