SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-08-19, 07:33 AM   #1
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Default New study implicates Finnish SS-volunteers in war crimes against Jews, civilians,POWs

The Finnish National Archives study which started a year ago on request by the Simon Wiesenthal Center on possible atrocities committed by Finnish SS-volunteers serving in SS-Wiking has now been released.

The study found several instances where individual Finnish SS-troops killed jews, civilians and/or Russian POWs. How widespread Finnish participation was remains unclear.

Lars Westerlund, The Finnish SS-volunteers and atrocities against Jews, Civilians and Prisoners of War in Ukraine and the Caucasus Region 1941–1943 (PDF)
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 04:41 PM   #2
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Frankly that was to be expected. Every nation has people that are capable and willing to do such things, especially if they think they can get away with it because they are backed by governments.

I'm a bit surprised though that this study comes out now and not like 40 years ago. But hey, we also "find" concentration camp guards to this day and try to put them on trial (now that they have lived their full life unmolested and are well into their 90ies....).
Old 02-08-19, 05:35 PM   #3
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Every nation is capable of such acts as you said. That's reason enough to remain vigilante.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 06:33 PM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Every Nation have a skeleton in their closet, when it comes to WWII and Germany.

Hundreds of Swedish men fought on German side and so did Danish men.
Don't know of some of these toke part in this.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 12:40 AM   #5
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I'm a bit surprised though that this study comes out now and not like 40 years ago. But hey, we also "find" concentration camp guards to this day and try to put them on trial (now that they have lived their full life unmolested and are well into their 90ies....).
The thought was that it had been checked by Mauno Jokipii who released a large study on the subject in the late '60s. Obviously, he hadn't the same sources available to him as people have today.

I've to say I felt a bit defensive when I heard the conclusion of the new study, but at the end of the day that feeling turned to proudness. It's good that it was given another, thorough look and the results were shared publicly without shame or trying to hush it. Any country should be able to look at its history, no matter how painful, with honesty.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finnish ss volunteers, war crimes