SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-07-21, 07:07 AM   #121
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

When the whole pack of cards falls, which it most surely do, I;m wondering what the Taliban will do with regards to relationships with other countries.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 09:03 AM   #122
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

From the Washington Post, this is.. well.. all well known in 2019, and long before.

"Was al-Qaeda the enemy, or the Taliban? Was Pakistan a friend or an adversary? What about the Islamic State and the bewildering array of foreign jihadists, let alone the warlords on the CIA’s payroll? According to the documents, the U.S. government never settled on an answer.
As a result, in the field, U.S. troops often couldn’t tell friend from foe"

Nor did other NATO forces in Afghanistan..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ial-documents/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ents-database/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...01_d5_02202015

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 09:30 AM   #123
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Biden? He just draws the consequences needed. Or did you wish for staying another 20, 30 years there, being rewarded with nothing but stagnation that would reverse thigns to their worst status before the moment you one day pull out in one generation?

In the wake of 9-11 the US had certain hard reasons to go in and do what it did. It achieved those missions by trial and error and patience, but the problem were the follow-up ideas of nation-building and exporting democracy. Totally stupid idea in that part of the world, it is not civilised Germany or disciplined Japan. That is what broke the operation its neck. Not the original reason - the follow up ideas were the problem.
st 20 years.
Leaving is fine, I am ok with that. But bailing out without the coordination of our allies in the Afghan govt and military? Leaving stockpiles of weapons for the Taliban? Sounds like a Trump move.
Old 07-07-21, 09:34 AM   #124
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Leaving is fine, I am ok with that. But bailing out without the coordination of our allies in the Afghan govt and military? Leaving stockpiles of weapons for the Taliban? Sounds like a Trump move.
First I was thinking, where have I read similar ? In a Tom Clancy book or some other books
Then I remembered it, it's from all these documentary about the end of the Vietnam war. If I remember correctly the retreat from Vietnam was chaotic. USA left a lot of weapon in Saigon and its surroundings.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 09:49 AM   #125
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
When the whole pack of cards falls, which it most surely do, I;m wondering what the Taliban will do with regards to relationships with other countries.
This was no repeat of the British death March or the Soviet retreat.

You make sound as if the Taliban are one cohesive organization following the rule of one leader bent on destroying Afghanistan or as if they caused or departure. Our being there has absolutely nothing to do with freedom democracy, gay rights, racism or women’s rights, not even close. We are there to block China growing influence and exploit Afghanistan mineral wealth.

Sure we may hear of some mayhem as Taliban factions jockey for position and maybe the current government will fall. But regardless if that happens or not. I’m expecting to hear of large corporations begin building facilities to exploit the mineral wealth locked in Afghanistan. They use private security to get their way you know, and those private corporate mercenaries are still there and more are coming. We’ve spent twenty years teaching the Taliban chiefs about the worldly treasures locked in the ground and how they need to behave if they want to get rich.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 07-07-21 at 10:06 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 10:00 AM   #126
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Well then, whichever way it goes, matters are going to be most 'interesting' in the coming weeks. months and years ahead.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 10:59 AM   #127
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

The days of marching into battle waving flags and band music is a thing of the past.

https://ndupress.ndu.edu/Portals/68/...es-and-war.pdf

If war starts in Afghanistan AGAIN, it will be between various factions of Afghans supported by the major players in the international community. Accompanied by the usual headlines while we argue who’s to blame. Meanwhile the Military Industrial Complex is making money.

Old 07-07-21, 11:06 AM   #128
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Collapsing so fast just shows how dysfunctional was the whole thing, glad we left!

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 12:54 PM   #129
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Maybe the Great Game will now be China vs India?

Why did India open a back channel to the Taliban?
https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2...to-the-taliban
Quote:
India decided to form back channel communications with relatively friendly factions of the Taliban to avoid losing strategic space to its regional rivals, especially Pakistan, after the US’s withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Russia sits uneasy on the sidelines

Quote:
"We are closely following what is happening in Afghanistan, where the situation tends to deteriorate rapidly, including in the context of the hasty withdrawal of American and other NATO troops," the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
https://english.pravda.ru/news/hotsp...a_afghanistan/

Old 07-07-21, 01:04 PM   #130
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Is Afghanistan in any way strategic important ?

Markus

Old 07-07-21, 01:26 PM   #131
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

It was in the 80’s when the Soviets invaded. Now its importance its with regards to China plus it has mineral wealth I’m sure some would love to get their hands on or keep others from getting their hands on.

https://www.washingtoninstitute.org/...nsible-taliban

Old 07-07-21, 01:31 PM   #132
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Is Afghanistan in any way strategic important ?

Markus
Well it is next door to Iran Markus, apart from that I would say no it's not a strategic location, but, will the Taliban use Afghanistan as a terrorist safe haven again, now that should have been your question.
It would be foolhardy to say no they won't, and the Biden administration will have already discussed the possibility that it will happen, and just maybe it could be the spark that finally opens Pandora's box, a frightening scenario me thinks.
Terrorist safe haven and the USA's mortal enemy next door?, don't you think that killing two birds with one stone springs to mind, I think the polishing of some unused missiles could be taking place in a couple of years.
Old 07-07-21, 01:45 PM   #133
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Well it is next door to Iran Markus, apart from that I would say no it's not a strategic location, but, will the Taliban use Afghanistan as a terrorist safe haven again, now that should have been your question.
It would be foolhardy to say no they won't, and the Biden administration will have already discussed the possibility that it will happen, and just maybe it could be the spark that finally opens Pandora's box, a frightening scenario me thinks.
Terrorist safe haven and the USA's mortal enemy next door?, don't you think that killing two birds with one stone springs to mind, I think the polishing of some unused missiles could be taking place in a couple of years.
I think Taliban will spread their belief into some of the former Soviet states. Who is neighbour to Afghanistan.
Shouldn't be surprised if states like Tajikistan and Turkmenistan soon will suffer from terror attacks where the sender is Taliban.

Markus

Old 07-07-21, 04:02 PM   #134
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

China is moving fast

China sets targets on Afghanistan as the final US troops depart
https://www.skynews.com.au/australia...bace1758e6da7e

Quote:
$US62 billion investment with the “eight-point consensus”

Old 07-07-21, 04:17 PM   #135
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

With which local chieftain do they negotiate?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote