SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-07-21, 05:12 PM   #136
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

In the Danish news today I heard about the Danish Ambassador and that he is worried on what will happen with him and his staff when the Taliban take Kabul.

I believe this fear is not only something in the head of the Danes who work in Afghanistan, I think every foreigners is worried

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 05:50 PM   #137
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Kabul will likely see scenes like this soon.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 07:33 PM   #138
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
First I was thinking, where have I read similar ? In a Tom Clancy book or some other books
Then I remembered it, it's from all these documentary about the end of the Vietnam war. If I remember correctly the retreat from Vietnam was chaotic. USA left a lot of weapon in Saigon and its surroundings.

Markus

Almost all of the bug outs the US has made since WW2 has resulted in the leaving behind of military assets, if only because it is too expensive and time consuming to move them and, since it would take a significant amount of time, US personnel involved in the move would be subject to protracted attacks while the weaponry/material at their disposal was being diminished; since the US philosophy of war has devolved into 'war on the cheap', its now economics over what you wish would happen...

<O>
Old 07-08-21, 08:20 AM   #139
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Taliban seek international recognition and diplomatic relations. Which means they are willing to change their behavior. It seems that after 20 years they actually learned something.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 09:06 AM   #140
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ I don't believe a word they spout.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 10:07 AM   #141
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Maximum scepticism.

Taliban are not just patriots or nationalists. Taliban are religiously fanaticized extremists. Their roots lie in religious education by Pakistani schools for Afghan refugees during the post-Sovjet era. Famous Ahmed Schah Massoud tried to bind them into a democratically formed government after he had brought their military conquest to a halt. They assassinated him for that offer (and defeat).

You think its over 20 years ago and worth to give it a second try? You will regret that. Promised.
Old 07-08-21, 10:34 AM   #142
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

I’m not in anyway thinking the Taliban are saints and that after twenty years life is suddenly a bowl of cherries. But we are now seeing the Taliban desiring international recognition and they know they must play certain rules to have it.

Once in the club they become politicians they enter into the arena of gray zone politics and can be bribed just like all the others

Old 07-08-21, 10:39 AM   #143
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Maximum scepticism.

Taliban are not just patriots or nationalists. Taliban are religiously fanaticized extremists. Their roots lie in religious education by Pakistani schools for Afghan refugees during the post-Sovjet era. Famous Ahmed Schah Massoud tried to bind them into a democratically formed government after he had brought their military conquest to a halt. They assassinated him for that offer (and defeat).

You think its over 20 years ago and worth to give it a second try? You will regret that. Promised.
They will be wolf in sheep cloth and I'm pretty sure EU would embrace them with closed eye and open arms. Depending who's the President in USA they will either reject them or do as EU.

Markus

Old 07-08-21, 10:53 AM   #144
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I once read somewhere that Iran supported the removal of the Taliban, can anyone confirm that?, it must be a worrying time for Iran if that statement is true, fancy having some fanatical religious terrorists living next door to your fanatical suppressive Islamic republic, I can't see hostilities breaking out but I do wonder if incursions by either sides will occur at some point in time.
Old 07-08-21, 10:59 AM   #145
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I think Taliban will spread their belief into some of the former Soviet states. Who is neighbour to Afghanistan.
Shouldn't be surprised if states like Tajikistan and Turkmenistan soon will suffer from terror attacks where the sender is Taliban.

Markus
Taliban fuels another war near Russian borders. Tajikistan asks for help
https://english.pravda.ru/world/3668...n_afghanistan/

Tajikistan has asked members of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) to help strengthen security on the border with Afghanistan

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 11:02 AM   #146
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I'm 150 % sure that Taliban will spread their belief onto their neighbour states
I can't say how successful they will be and if Afghanistan and some of the neighbour states will amalgamated into a bigger country.

Edit
Forgot that I already had written about this yesterday
End edit

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 07-08-21 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-08-21, 03:10 PM   #147
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I once read somewhere that Iran supported the removal of the Taliban, can anyone confirm that?, it must be a worrying time for Iran if that statement is true, fancy having some fanatical religious terrorists living next door to your fanatical suppressive Islamic republic, I can't see hostilities breaking out but I do wonder if incursions by either sides will occur at some point in time.
My understanding is the Afghan Taliban are majority Sunni and wary of Iran. Just a guess, but I think the Saudi’s have a strong desire to strengthen ties with their Sunni brothers.

Old 07-08-21, 03:29 PM   #148
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
My understanding is the Afghan Taliban are majority Sunni and wary of Iran. Just a guess, but I think the Saudi’s have a strong desire to strengthen ties with their Sunni brothers.
Sounds somehow like my enemies enemy is my friend

Markus

Old 07-08-21, 05:52 PM   #149
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Rules of Engagement was the stupidest decision ever to be imposed on the US military, next time you have a war fight it like your enemy does with the gloves of diplomacy off, you never know you might win one for a change.

Biden defends decision to end Afghan military operation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57770436
Old 07-08-21, 06:22 PM   #150
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Rules of Engagement was the stupidest decision ever to be imposed on the US military, next time you have a war fight it like your enemy does with the gloves of diplomacy off, you never know you might win one for a change.

Biden defends decision to end Afghan military operation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57770436
Interesting that your government rag says the following:

Recent polls have shown broad US support for leaving Afghanistan, with Republican voters more sceptical of the decision to withdraw.

To that I wave the B.S. flag. The reports I’ve read indicate most people that desire withdraw are conservative voters since many are families which tend serve in the armed forces. And I would go so far to say even Democrat voters who serve probably have had enough also.

When Trump mentioned withdrawing only the Nancy boy liberal wannabe arm chair generals who never served a day suddenly became warhawks and questioned it. Crying like the little girly men they are, started whining about how we had to listen to the generals as they stayed busy changing their feminine hygiene pads. But I’d wager most of those which served were very much for putting an end to it. In fact it was one of Trump’s campaign promises that got him elected and he ran on the Republican ticket for chrissakes. Frankly, I don’t care if Trump or Biden wants to take credit, it doesn’t matter too me.

Last edited by Rockstar; 07-08-21 at 10:57 PM.