Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-02-14, 01:53 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Amazing

This Scientific Breakthrough could change the way we travel. No more commercial jets, trains, ships, bus or car

It has also a backside a foreign country could send troops into an another country

Of course it will take decades before it will be possible, if it ever will be, that's another question

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/sci...tation/613912/

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 01:55 PM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Beam me up Scotty

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 02:23 PM   #3
Dread Knot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
This Scientific Breakthrough could change the way we travel. No more commercial jets, trains, ships, bus or car

It has also a backside a foreign country could send troops into an another country

Of course it will take decades before it will be possible, if it ever will be, that's another question

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/sci...tation/613912/

Markus
The "teleporting" of atoms that they mention is not actually moving them. It's just moving the state. A rough analogy would be suppose that someone suggests making a clone of you, and then killing you so the copy becomes the original. That's basically how this atom teleportation works. I'm sure you'd be leery of the ethic questions of the idea. Then, you would have to teleport not just the states of a few atoms, but the states of all the atoms in a human body, which is about 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 give or take a few. If you can teleport a million atoms per second it would take a hundred trillion years. So it is a big job that something like super AI or quantum computing is not likely to solve anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Beam me up Scotty
Make sure there isn't a fly in the teleportation chamber.
Dread Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 02:35 PM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Knot View Post
The "teleporting" of atoms that they mention is not actually moving them. It's just moving the state. A rough analogy would be suppose that someone suggests making a clone of you, and then killing you so the copy becomes the original. That's basically how this atom teleportation works. I'm sure you'd be leery of the ethic questions of the idea. Then, you would have to teleport not just the states of a few atoms, but the states of all the atoms in a human body, which is about 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 give or take a few. If you can teleport a million atoms per second it would take a hundred trillion years. So it is a big job that something like super AI or quantum computing is not likely to solve anytime soon.

Make sure there isn't a fly in the teleportation chamber.
That's why I wrote
" it will take decades before it will be possible, if it ever will be, that's another question"

If not humans or other living things, then dead things

Markus
Old 06-02-14, 02:44 PM   #5
Dread Knot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 84

Quote:
That's why I wrote
" it will take decades before it will be possible, if it ever will be, that's another question"

If not humans or other living things, then dead things

Markus
If it ever became remotely practically, then I suppose using it transport raw resources would come first. No one outside of a few brokers will be too upset if a consignment of bauxite gets lost or mixed up in transmission.
Dread Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 03:39 PM   #6
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Knot View Post
If it ever became remotely practically, then I suppose using it transport raw resources would come first. No one outside of a few brokers will be too upset if a consignment of bauxite gets lost or mixed up in transmission.

Got a vision:

A person is going through some pages on the Internet and decide to order the new ship models. To do so he also need a 3D Printer and the correct fluid a.s.o(don't know the exact name of it)

The person sit and await the first part to be printed and instead of the correct part to the model, the person get up to 5 different subject on the ark(even here I don't know the name of the thing that hold all the parts to a model)

Markus
Old 06-02-14, 03:39 PM   #7
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Yeah, I don't see it being used to move living things in this century, perhaps in the next two but there will be a lot of transporterphobia, yet another thing that Star Trek predicted.
But the delivery of parcels and such, that's do-able. Also quite possibly, if one can turn light into matter, then resource production just got a whole lot easier depending on the amount of energy needed to create things, however things like Star treks replicators might be possible and that is going to really upset the status quo if and when they are ever able to be purchased by mere mortals.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 03:54 PM   #8
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
We can already compress data and stream it. It's the breaking down of living tissue into data to be compressed and streamed and then decompressing it and putting it all back together in the right order that will be the "real" challenge.
I don't see it happening for another millennia or two. I think Warp Drive will be created long before teleportation becomes a reality. To even do that, we'll need to create a working antimatter reactor and a way to create and store the antimatter without ripping the fabric of the universe, and ourselves, apart in the process.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 04:29 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Yup! this is the "Somebody's been smoking sumpin' thread alright! I can tell! Y'all betta leave my sub atomic particles BE! And don't bogart whatever medicinals yer puffin' on neither what planet is this anyhoo!??

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-04-14 at 12:14 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 05:25 PM   #10
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Somebody's been snorting nyborg again.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 06-02-14, 06:17 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Or ANYTHING ELSE that's handy! Helps ya navigate better!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 06:58 PM   #12
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Quote:
Got a vision:

A person is going through some pages on the Internet and decide to order the new ship models. To do so he also need a 3D Printer and the correct fluid a.s.o(don't know the exact name of it)

The person sit and await the first part to be printed and instead of the correct part to the model, the person get up to 5 different subject on the ark(even here I don't know the name of the thing that hold all the parts to a model)

Markus
It's called a parts "tree" and that sounds like an excellent idea as long as the company isn't worried about the sharing of the design code to print out the parts.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 06-02-14, 07:01 PM   #13
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Or ANYTHING ELSE that's handy! Helps ya navigate better!

SPICY!
Don't eat the worm.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 06-02-14, 07:01 PM   #14
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

When they can do this with a molecule, I will start to get interested.
Old 06-02-14, 08:15 PM   #15
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote