SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-17, 06:32 PM   #1
Dark Fox
Swabbie

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default Regarding the Virginia class.

Two things: this is just an fyi to whatever person can handle it. And, my keyboard is borked, so expect typos till I can replace it next tues. \
\
\
and yeah, my keyboard does the slash when i hit return. sorry.\
\
\
\
ok, so here's the deal. i actually worked on the virginia class project during its development. while i can't go into the super secret details, i can tell you that the virginias were being equipped with a type of sonar called the lwwaa. that's light weight wide accoustic array. basically it's a super sensitive passive sonar that's located in banks on each side of the external of the sub. the lwwaa is so senstive that the submarine is able to automatically quickly identify enemy ships and submarines, well before the usual sonar system would allow. not sure if you could include that in the game, but the point stands.\
\
\
\
secondly, the virginias aren't classified as ssn. rather they're classed as nssn to differentiate them from the standard ssn submarines.\
\
\
lastly, though it's not yet been fielded, far as i know, we were working on a variant of the mk84 (surface or sub launched torpedo) which was not wire guided, but instead programmed to recognize enemy target ships, or subs, while ignoring allied vessels. meaning that yes, it wouldn't hunt its own ship or sub. again, i'm not sure if that could be included in the game.
Dark Fox is offline   Reply With Quote