Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-26-14, 03:10 PM   #1
panzerschrek
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Steam version SH5

Hello there, I just bought the steam version of SH5, seeing it was only 9.99, I gave it a shot. I was planning on modding it a bit or to make it playable, which at the price of 9.99, I didn't really care. I've now just read that you can't really mod the steam version, or can't actually install the NewUi by TheDarkWraith. Is there any sensible mod which do the same or nearly the same job as the newui mod? This is now the only way I'll play this game, if there are none, I'll just end up uninstalling it since unmodded it's a piece of cow dong... To me anyway...

If anyone have a workaround for this, like a similar mod, let me know, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Simon

Edit : Nevermind, I found a good topic which I most likely missed when searching the forums. If any admin happens to see this, feel free to delete the topic, I don't know how to do it myself :/

Last edited by panzerschrek; 02-26-14 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Found a better topic
panzerschrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 08:54 PM   #2
navale
Nub

Downloads: 8

I have the same exact problem
navale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 09:43 PM   #3
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerschrek View Post
I didn't really care. I've now just read that you can't really mod the steam version, or can't actually install the NewUi by TheDarkWraith.

Edit : Nevermind, I found a good topic which I most likely missed when searching the forums. If any admin happens to see this, feel free to delete the topic, I don't know how to do it myself :/
I'll answer this anyhow for the guy after your original post and for others. You can play all mods from my understanding with Steam.

You can not use the patcher [tec] Sh5.exe thread found in the sh5 mods forum. The patcher is something TDW, The Dark Wraith has made, too. The patcher [tec] Sh5.exe is not a true mod once you download. You must enable features in it to work. It can be made into a mod AFTER you enable features in it for every patch version. Not as complicated as it sounds once you change features once.

How to use the patcher threads at bottom of post #1 for patcher [tec] Sh5.exe thread.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 08:40 AM   #4
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike47 View Post
I'll answer this anyhow for the guy after your original post and for others. You can play all mods from my understanding with Steam.

You can not use the patcher [tec] Sh5.exe thread found in the sh5 mods forum. The patcher is something TDW, The Dark Wraith has made, too. The patcher [tec] Sh5.exe is not a true mod once you download. You must enable features in it to work. It can be made into a mod AFTER you enable features in it for every patch version. Not as complicated as it sounds once you change features once.

How to use the patcher threads at bottom of post #1 for patcher [tec] Sh5.exe thread.
You're right. TDW's Generic Patcher is not a mod, at least not in the conventional sense. It doesn't come ready-to-install with JSGME. What it does is insert machine-code patches directly into a duplicate copy of your SH5.exe (which you then activate with JSGME just like any mod). It fixes a lot of errors in the Ubisoft release of SH5.exe, errors that could never be corrected with conventional mods. It also adds capabilities (again through machine-code changes), capabilities which could never be achieved in a conventional mod. Altogether, the Patcher is a thoroughly useful tool. It's currently at version 152 (!) which means that about 150 improvements have been made to the previously inviolable machine code of SH5.exe.

TDW's Generic Patcher - Don't leave the bunker without it!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 04:29 PM   #5
panzerschrek
Swabbie

Downloads: 9

Quote:
You're right. TDW's Generic Patcher is not a mod, at least not in the conventional sense. It doesn't come ready-to-install with JSGME. What it does is insert machine-code patches directly into a duplicate copy of your SH5.exe (which you then activate with JSGME just like any mod). It fixes a lot of errors in the Ubisoft release of SH5.exe, errors that could never be corrected with conventional mods. It also adds capabilities (again through machine-code changes), capabilities which could never be achieved in a conventional mod. Altogether, the Patcher is a thoroughly useful tool. It's currently at version 152 (!) which means that about 150 improvements have been made to the previously inviolable machine code of SH5.exe.

TDW's Generic Patcher - Don't leave the bunker without it!
Wish I had known that before buying the steam version
panzerschrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 06:07 PM   #6
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

A non-Steam copy - either DVD or download - will set you back the price of dinner for two at Mickey D's, or two grande turtle lattes at Bucky's. That's not free, but it's within the reach of most people who can afford a rig that will even run SH5. IMO, a justifiable expense.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 06:22 PM   #7
RushTheBus
Engineer

Downloads: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
A non-Steam copy - either DVD or download - will set you back the price of dinner for two at Mickey D's, or two grande turtle lattes at Bucky's. That's not free, but it's within the reach of most people who can afford a rig that will even run SH5. IMO, a justifiable expense.
Amazon has the gold edition for 10 bucks even via download. I did some research, found Subsim just before i ordered it on steam during the UBISoft weekend sale. Happened to have a 50 dollar amazon gift card so i used that ! Worth the 10 bucks IMO.
RushTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pissed off, sh5, steam